Screenset bug or user error?

oortone
Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

Hello.

I haven't used screensets in Logic for a long time but I used to and I can't make sense out of this. I recall it used to work differently so now I wonder if this is me missing some new parameter or if it's a bug. To simplify I'm only working with two screensets: 1 and 3.

I select region 1 in screenset 1. The midinotes are shown in the small pianoroll.

scrn1reg1.thumb.png.9853cc642745f818e2381fc46cc176c0.png

Now I select region 2, pianoroll is updated, since link (chain symbol) is active.

scrn1reg2.thumb.png.098d371c2217b7a83d30f15c7a68d1bd.png

Now I go to screenset 3. As you can see region 2 is selected in arrange here too but the pianoroll still shows the content of region 1 although link is active. This can't be right?

scrn3reg2.thumb.png.e307122baacf489daa7bf16b9287d284.png

If I deselect and reselect region 2 in this screenset piano roll will be updated correctly but this breakes the whole idea I used to have using various screensets to jump between edit modes always seeing what's selected. I found this useful when working with at small screen on laptop. maybe there's some parameter I need to change? I remember there used to be a second link mode (that never made sense to me) but that seems to be gone. Maybe something else changed too?

OK, too bad. I was hoping it was just a matter of ticking the right box. Thanks for confirming. Do you think it was introduced by the latest update or has it been around for a while? It seems to me when searching "screenset" there have been quite a lot of problems with screen sets since the intro of Logic Pro X.

• 3 weeks later...
It works fine here in 10.3.3 as far as I can see.

If you attach your project here I can see if there is something triggering this behavior.

Hello.

There was Christmas...

Here's a project (not the one above but same behavior for me).

Selectionupdate.zip

Project where screenset 3 will not update selection in pianoroll.

I'm on Logic 10.3.3 too.

If I start with a blank project this does not happen so there's something corrupt or wrong in my project.

Too bad since it's my template project that took quite a while to create...

But since I'm not the only one who've seen this maybe it's a bug anyway.

Yes, that helped. Thanks.

I've never seen that before what is One Track View?

I tried to look it up but I can't find a reference to the Logic Reference Manual for X either.

I believe there used to be such a manual for Logic 9, at least in pdf. Now I only find a simplified manual for X called "Logic Pro Help" with a really poor search function.

I see.

Well then it's a bug anyway. Although less problematic:

If I change track in Screenset 1 it's not updated in pianoroll in screenset 3 although the arrange track selection in screenset 3 reflects the track change made in screenset 1.

If I change track in screenset 3 it's updated correctly in both screensets.

Looking at your Screenshots it is clear from that the Screensets are not 'Locked' - that means that the screensets will 'forget' more easily whatever you wanted them to show.

Try this:

1 - Set up the Screenset with exactly the elements that you want it to show.

2 - De-select all Content Link/Same Level Link etc

3 - Lock the Screenset

You will then be able to select/deselect regions, make all sorts of changes in the main Arrange Page without it affecting your Screensets which are Locked.

When you go back to the Screenset you originally locked it should show you consistently what you wanted to retain in the first place.

Your Screenset 3 Piano roll is set to One Track View.

I changed it for you here:

Selectionupdate - Fixed.zip

Thank you Eric! This is so totally cool to discover this... One Track View - I never realised it existed !!! Explains a huge amount about why I could never quite understand the Piano Roll display...

Would be great to have One Track View available for other Editors like the Score Editor... or maybe that is what the difference is in the 'Filter' between Instruments and Score Sets..

volovicg would surely have a word to say here :) ?

Looking at your Screenshots it is clear from that the Screensets are not 'Locked' - that means that the screensets will 'forget' more easily whatever you wanted them to show.

Try this:

1 - Set up the Screenset with exactly the elements that you want it to show.

2 - De-select all Content Link/Same Level Link etc

3 - Lock the Screenset

You will then be able to select/deselect regions, make all sorts of changes in the main Arrange Page without it affecting your Screensets which are Locked.

When you go back to the Screenset you originally locked it should show you consistently what you wanted to retain in the first place.

Hello, thanks for the idea but that's not a solution to the problem I described since I want Screenset 3 to follow selections in Screenset 1, that's the whole idea.

And just to make my bug report a more clear. There's still a bug in One Track View. Track changes made in Screen Set 1 are not reflected in the Piano Roll in Screenset 3, although the track change is reflected. However track changes made in Screenset 3 are relected in the combined Arrange/Pianoroll of Screenset 1.

I tried this with a blank project, and other Screenset numbers. It seems to me like Screenset 1 will always reflect Trackchanges made in other screensets but the other screensets will not do that. This is in One Track View for all screensets so although a track seems selected in those screensets they are not shown in pianoroll and that does not make sense.

• 3 weeks later...
Fair enough .. but you do not mention if you experimented with, or ever use the Lock feature which alone ( ie ignoring my points about De Select Link/same level ) might help to achieve the way you want content reflected in Screenset 1 and 3 ... am just curious if you tried this aspect?

I have experimented with screensets a lot on the past and the lock feature didn't fit my way of working much since I always want one screenset to reflect work done in another screenset (changing tracks e.t.c.). Thanks anyway.

I get this bug in heavy projects, where the midi editor does not follow region selection. I thought it was well known...

(10.3.2 as per sig)

This bug has been plaguing me for several versions. I'm on 10.3.3 now...still there.

Some bugs are never fixed. It's the same in other softwares too.

I guess one reason could be it's sometimes so hard to explain in text but so obvious if you get the chance to show it in reality. But you never get that chance.

A well...

• 2 months later...
I've now worked with screensets even more, trying to follow my workflow from the past, and it's clear to me it doesn't work as it used to. A lot of selection related details have been broken when using screenset changes. Since it seems these bugs won't be fixed it's clear to me a change of workflow is the only solution. For us with small screens screensets was very useful to quickly change views without losing contact with the selection. Too bad they are broken.