Auto-fades when selecting comps leading to inconsistent volume on playback? (perhaps version-related?)

rsilverst

Hi -- I just started doing editing work on a song I had recorded earlier this year. I am on 10.3.3 but when the recording was made it was whatever the version was about a year ago.

I have a vocal track where I have extensive comps because of my vocal limitations. I am noticing that on playback the volume level of certain segments is inconsistent on playback. I have never experienced this in the past so am wondering if something may have changed between versions. Basically, if i am listening to a short section, a region may seem to not be at its full and proper level, but if I play the same region again, it may alternate between normal and quieter by a few dB.

I have buffers set at maximum. Just curious if there are any thoughts about may be causing it. It worries me since it's not an issue I have ever seen before.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If I bounce the track in place, the volume of the bounced track is proper - no decreases in volume. So it seems to be an artifact of playback of a track with lots of comps and lots of plugins?

System is 2.3GHz Core i5 Mac min (Mid 2011) with 8GB 1333MHz DDR3, Samsung 850 EVO system drive, GTECH G-DRIVE data drive, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 interface.

Thanks!

Bob