.WAV or .AIFF?

I.M. Groot
Go to solution Solved by Enrize,

Wav is very common but as Enrize pointed out all those options (wave, aiff, caf) affect only the header data – the audio data inside the files is exactly the same uncompressed PCM audio data. So basically if you're not sure, it doesn't matter. If someone who's going to work with the file requests one or the other, choose whatever they ask for.

Not sure if it is still true, maybe David knows, but it used to be that AIFF time stamps audio files but not regions while Wave time stamps both.

Not exactly: there's no such thing as a timestamp on a region, which isn't a file on its own, but rather part of a Logic project file.

Now as far as I know, any app can timestamp any file (AIFF or WAV) however WAV files have a standard timestamp that can be recognized by any other app whereas for AIFF files apps use a proprietary way of adding a timestamp which may not be recognized by another app.

So basically you're better off using WAV.

Yes, a region is just a part of an audio file

Not really: a region is just a reference to an audio file (so a location in the Finder), with a couple of numbers that indicate from which sample number to which other sample number the audio file should play, along with a location that determines where the region should play in the project.

but my understanding is that if you cut a region from a.wav and bring it into e. g. Pro Tools

You can't cut a region and bring it into Pro Tools. You can "bring into Pro Tools" only an audio file. So you'd have to cut the region and export the new region as a new audio file.

Yes, I know, a region just says ":look over there"

I know that there was some difference though in what happens with regions and audio files brought into PT but I will have to research it to remember and anyway, it doesn't matter because wave files have become the standard pretty much. Logic should default to them IMHO.