HELP! Logic Pro X Sudden HUGE Audio Latency Bug

Urban Ninjz

SOLUTION HERE: I hope this helps some people, as it fixed it for me. I'm not sure if this is exactly the same issue, as there seems to be some discrepancy on this thread.

Quick context backstory. I upgraded to the new Mac mini with M1 chip, with brand new PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 USB as hardware/interface. I previously have been using a "frozen in time" version of Logic (10.2.4) with the PreSonus StudioLive Firewire model with no issues for 5+ years. As a creature of habit, making the jump to the current update of Logic on a new computer with a USB board to replace the firewire interface was a BIG DEAL for me! :)

I monitor everything exclusively through hardware only. Upon loading my standard user project template after finally migrating all my settings, preferences, plugins, presets, and key commands, I tried recording a simple DI keyboard part—audio, not midi—and upon playing it back, noticed an audible delay. The part is behind the beat considerably, and you can SEE IT in the region. It's not a matter of playing back late, it is literally being recorded with some sort of latency.

After some forum digging and troubleshooting, I've isolated the cause of the problem to my master output channel, where my template is automatically loaded with a lengthy mastering chain of plugins in bypass. The problem child is the ADAPTIVE LIMITER. When I try recording with it on, the region waveform is late. When I record with it in bypass, the region waveform is late. When I record after I remove the Adaptive Limiter plugin entirely from the master channel, the region waveform is perfectly in time.

Reference image: Take 7, WITHOUT Adaptive Limiter on master. Take 8, WITH Adaptive Limiter on master.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-12-at-2-39-30-PM.png

While a quick fix may be to go about removing all master plugin chains, I realized how annoying that would be if I want to open old projects and re-record or add parts without affecting my working mix & master. This was never an issue in my old version of Logic on my 2015 MacBook Pro, surely it should be possible to keep my templates and workflow the same with a state-of-the-art brand new computer and latest-greatest version of Logic.

More digging and troubleshooting. THE FIX FOR ME: In Preferences>Audio>General, MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK "Software Monitoring" AND "Input monitoring only for the focused track (as in GarageBand)" AND "independent monitoring level for record-enabled channel strips." If you use hardware monitoring like I do, UNCHECK all three of these boxes. For Plug-In Latency, my Compensation is set to "All," "Playback pre-roll" is checked ON, and "Low Latency Mode" is OFF.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-12-at-2-52-30-PM.png

I can only theorize that somewhere in the data transfer stream from keyboard to interface to computer, the software monitoring or whatever GarageBand input monitoring thing was causing latency in the signal without accounting or compensating for the lookahead in plugins like Adaptive Limiter. If your workflow is like mine, and you record primarily real instruments and lots of audio tracks with meticulously laid out templates with your own dialed presets, channel strips settings, and plug ins, hopefully the 10 minutes it took me to write out my experience will save you heartache and frustration if you're experiencing weird latency issues upon playback of recorded tracks.

• 3 months later...

### SOLUTION ###

I came up this thread will googling since I had the same issue.

The problem:

All out of sudden, an audio track was delayed by about 0.2 seconds. It was perfect on grid in Logic. Other tracks work fine.

The solution:

- It seems like there is a bug in logic with sidechain compressing.

- The problem began, after I made a sidechain bus from my kick to the bassline using the standard Logic compressor.

- I replicated the issue.

- Deleting the compressor out of the channel strip: Everything's perfect.

- Undo the deletion: Audio lag again.

I just registered now, to help you out. I hope it works for you too.

Best,

Toxigy

• 2 years later...

I came across the same problem after updating to Logic Pro X 10.8

Thanks studio hermit because you gave me the idea on how to solve it.

My problem was the mastering plugin on the output strip. I had it off but even though it was enough to introduce a latency that made it impossible for me to record anything.

Solution: not just simply bypassing the mastering plugin but REMOVE it from the channel strip.

It worked like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Logic Pro 10.8 version, running on 16GB 2020 M1 MBP with which i never have any issues at all.

I suddenly developed unusable latency even though the CPU was not even hitting 50%. All plug-ins, anything at all was disabled. This set me back by 2 days and I was really just ready to move everything to a new project as other projects did not have this issue.

Having tried everything like I/O buffer size all the way to 64, having a simple almost empty project, nothing was fixing this until I did the following in the main Output Channel which did not have any active plug ins.

Reset Channel Strip.. All latency gone. Project back to normal.

Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 18.08.07.png

Edited by Roman Oleinik
  • Wow! 1

26 minutes ago, Roma said:

Reset Channel Strip.. All latency gone.

This feels like something recent, as I've not really seen reports of this until recently - could even be a 10.8 thing, possibly related to the recent sidechain latency fixes. It feels like something that should be fixed in a 10.8.1, so make sure you report these issues, and here's hoping we get a maintenance update to 10.8 before too long that fixes some of the more recent issues...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roma said:

In the Logic Pro 10.8 version, running on 16GB 2020 M1 MBP with which i never have any issues at all.

I suddenly developed unusable latency even though the CPU was not even hitting 50%. All plug-ins, anything at all was disabled. This set me back by 2 days and I was really just ready to move everything to a new project as other projects did not have this issue.

Having tried everything like I/O buffer size all the way to 64, having a simple almost empty project, nothing was fixing this until I did the following in the main Output Channel which did not have any active plug ins.

Thank you for mentioning this. It's given me some confidence that this post I made before is indeed a 10.8 bug:

I guess we should both report it and see if they need an example project (although it kind of comes and goes).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 6:21 PM, Roma said:

Thank you. You saved my day. I’m on 10.8.1 and the latency problem came after I had checked my mix with the mastering plugin. I did see a yellow warning triangle when I turned the plugin off, but it disappered short after.