HELP! Logic Pro X Sudden HUGE Audio Latency Bug

Urban Ninjz

Logic Pro X, which was working fantastic for me -suddenly (randomly as far as I can tell) became completely dead and unusable for recording.

Apparently many have had this issue; I have tried several "fixes" which worked for others but not me.

THE PROBLEM: Was recording successfully in a project with low latency (10.6 milliseconds according to Pref/Audio. *Suddenly* a MASSIVE latency developed for no apparent reason. It is about 500 milliseconds long!!! (half a second). Recording is suddenly impossible.

>NO changes were made to my computer.

>All plug ins are disconnected -just an audio track.

>Pref/Audio "says" the latency is about 10 ms -but it is actually a full half-second. I

I had this problem several times before; it always occurred suddenly when Logic was on for say an hour or so. This fix use to work, but for some reason doesn't now.

(1) Reboot computer and restart Logic Pro X.

I tried the following suggested fixes I found online which have worked for others -but not for me.

(2) Restarted core audio (doesn't work)

(3) Changed buffer (was 128, tried 64, 32 -doesn't work (currently sitting at 128).

(3) Checked recording delay setting -apparently this has sometimes randomly reset for folks -but it was set to 0 as it should be.

(4) Created an aggregate device per online suggestion -no change.

A clue???

(5) Tried different audio devices -and reading have found others experienced this strange issue with a wide range of audio devices. HOWEVER I did change the input device to MAC's microphone, and it seemed not to have latency then.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

What audio device are you using?

Originally Yamaha AG06; after the latency appeared I also tried my Uphoria UMC 1820 which has the same half-second latency. Reading online reveals other users that have experienced this problem have many different interfaces (Universal Audio, etc.) and the consensus seems to be that the root of the issue lies elsewhere.

You say ok with internal audio selected?

No, it is never ok and is specifically audio latency.

Did problem occur with no added plug ins or after insertion?

It exist in all old projects as well.

Logic went from working fine to 500ms audio delay suddenly /randomly with no recent changes having been made to the project whatsoever in terms of plug-ins, preference settings, or etc. The only activity that took place between when working and when not was the audio interface was plugged in + time. Nothing else was changed.

There are no plug ins currently in use in the project audio tracks but in some other projects also not working there are.

Are you using any software instruments on any tracks!

Ian

Yes.

THANKS for your reply.

The only activity that took place between when working and when not was the audio interface was plugged in + tim

So, a project that was working with only latency reported by logic, went to +500mls when a longish time had elapsed?

Are you working off internal disk and is there plenty of space left on it?

Is WiFi and Bluetooth both on or off and have you tried with switched off if on?

Assume you’re running latest drivers for your interface that are recommended by manufacturers?

No other error messages on your system?

UPDATE

I tried another new project -no plug ins, just an audio track -for a little while it was working without the 500 ms audio latency. Had breakfast, came back, and the 500 ms latency was there (NO settings had been changed!). I closed Logic and opened it again and the latency was gone IN THAT PROJECT. But all the older projects were still "stuck" on the 500 ms latency and will not respond to the same "fix" (as I mentioned, that "fix" use to work on the other projects -but no longer does). Twilight Zone material here.

UPDATE

I tried another new project -no plug ins, just an audio track -for a little while it was working without the 500 ms audio latency. Had breakfast, came back, and the 500 ms latency was there (NO settings had been changed!). I closed Logic and opened it again and the latency was gone IN THAT PROJECT.

I've experienced exactly the same thing, except for me, the latency was gone in all projets. It sounds like it's something to do with the audio driver.... weird issue. You could always try creating a new user account on your Mac and see if you get the same issues?

Might also check your hard drive to make sure nothing is going wrong there.
Thx; it checks out fine.

UPDATE

I tried another new project -no plug ins, just an audio track -for a little while it was working without the 500 ms audio latency. Had breakfast, came back, and the 500 ms latency was there (NO settings had been changed!). I closed Logic and opened it again and the latency was gone IN THAT PROJECT.

I've experienced exactly the same thing, except for me, the latency was gone in all projects. It sounds like it's something to do with the audio driver.... weird issue. You could always try creating a new user account on your Mac and see if you get the same issues?

Will try:

>different user next followed by

>deleting the preference file (though the random intermittent nature of the problem leads me to doubt it's setting related; certainly there is no option in Logic to select: "Add 500 ms delay to your audio input and pull your hair out while trying to remember you selected this button" ;) )

...& will report back later.

Weird indeed. Suddenly out of the blue our beloved Logic Pro X becomes effectively useless.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi,

I see it was nearly a year ago that you posted this. Did you manage to resolve the issue?

I have a very similar issue, although mine seems to be somewhat intermittent. What happens with me is that latency will start to gradually slip over time during a session, and it often ends up being well over a second if I leave it alone for a while and come back to it. The only solution I have found so far is to select the computer speakers and then go back to my (Allan and Heath ZED-10) interface. This provides temporary relief.

I am interested that you tried alternative interfaces without them solving the problem, as I was just on the verge of buying a new USB mixer in the hope that it might help. I'm also interested that you encountered the problem in the absence of active plugins. So have I.

I'm just wondering a couple of things here. Do your main interface and the others you tried have their own, dedicated drivers, or do they all just use the Apple Core Audio drivers (as mine does). I'm wondering if this might be a factor. Also, have you ever tried a different DAW with the same configuration? I'd half-tempted to drop Logic altogether and go to something like Reaper (which I used to use), but I've become a little addicted to many of the native plugins in Logic and it would be a big job to find suitable substitutes for many of them.

Cheers

Simon

Hi,

I see it was nearly a year ago that you posted this. Did you manage to resolve the issue?

I have a very similar issue, although mine seems to be somewhat intermittent. What happens with me is that latency will start to gradually slip over time during a session, and it often ends up being well over a second if I leave it alone for a while and come back to it. The only solution I have found so far is to select the computer speakers and then go back to my (Allan and Heath ZED-10) interface. This provides temporary relief.

I am interested that you tried alternative interfaces without them solving the problem, as I was just on the verge of buying a new USB mixer in the hope that it might help. I'm also interested that you encountered the problem in the absence of active plugins. So have I.

I'm just wondering a couple of things here. Do your main interface and the others you tried have their own, dedicated drivers, or do they all just use the Apple Core Audio drivers (as mine does). I'm wondering if this might be a factor. Also, have you ever tried a different DAW with the same configuration? I'd half-tempted to drop Logic altogether and go to something like Reaper (which I used to use), but I've become a little addicted to many of the native plugins in Logic and it would be a big job to find suitable substitutes for many of them.

It sounds to me like your audio driver is the culprit, and not the interface itself. Make sure the driver is up to date and certified to work in the macOS you're using.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m experiencing the same problem with Logic starting from version 10, for several years, when recording audio tracks. Low Latency Mode is not helpful in this case. Initially, I was thinking the problem was with drivers for my Firewire interface Edirol FA-101, so I stopped using it. I also switched computers, it didn’t help. Then, the problem popped up with Yamaha AG06, and eventually I got the same problem with Allen&Health SQ-6, when experimented with channel inserts using sequencer’s plugins.

This intermittent problem is solved by disconnecting and reconnecting the devices, and it’s really very annoying in the middle of creative session. The playback delay may become up to a couple seconds in my case, but, what’s important, recording is not affected during this glitch. Sometimes, delay disappers, when I switch input monitoring off and then on.

I believe the problem is in the Logic itself somewhere on the monitoring path, not audio drivers, as other competitors’ software work with the same hardware absolutely fantastic.

Mac OS X 10.13, Logic Pro X 10.4.2

Allen&Health SQ-6, Yamaha AG06

I'm having the same issue.

But the delay occurs both using internal audio and external interface (Scarlett 18i8). Updated the driver today, no change. Tested this clapping to the click and there's the same huge delay with different I/O Buffer sizes. Both on internal and external drives, projects with only one test-track and with multiple tracks and plug-ins. The effect remains the same. Only thing that kinda "minimizes" it is sliding the Recording Delay all the way to -5000.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

• 1 month later...

if enough people are suddenly having latency problems that they weren't having a few days ago in the same projects, unchanged...then try to figure out exactly what is last thing you changed so we can report the bug, if its a bug, to Apple. Latency and Plugin latency compensation is a complicated topic and often users are using Logic in a way that is causing it, and its not immediately intuitive sometimes for how to use Logic properly to avoid those kinds of problems. It can cause people to pull their hair out until they change the way they are working.

However if suddenly people are having problems that they were not having a few days ago... then what did you change? did you recently run OS X updates? If so which OS are you on? I'm on LPX 10.4.4 and Latest Sierra and I'm not having any such problem. Maybe something changed in Mojave's guts; that is effecting core audio though, never know, but unless we can identify a common denominator there, I have to assume incorrect use of Logic is usually the reason people come here with half their hair pulled out wondering why they can't get Logic to behave in terms of latency.

Thanks again, Dewdman42, for your reply.

As I mentioned in my reply in the other "Sudden latency problem" thread the only OS updates recently installed were two High Sierra "Security updates". I'm also on LPX 10.4.4. If you're using Sierra (not "High" Sierra) that might be a clue. I'm trying to avoid dealing with Mojave's guts until the last possible moment, not looking forward to it, sounds messy...

As far as "incorrect" usage goes, I attempted to describe my procedures in the other thread, let me know if anything looks incorrect. I've had Logic since before the Apple acquisition but I've only started heavy usage of it in the last few years. I used a completely empty (no template) project, no plugins instantiated or active in Logic, one Unison amp plugin in Apollo Console software incoming to Logic which was used on only one test audio track. MIDI tracks have the same delay problem, no plugins of any kind involved.

Any suggestions on a better testing scenario would be most appreciated.

I'll be checking back frequently, I have a major project due very soon, it would be nice to actually play something instead of drawing in little blocks with a Virtual Pencil...

remove the amp plugin entirely and replicate the test

remove the UAD entirely and replicate the test.

If you still have latency issues without the UAD in there, then try to remember the last time this same procedure worked for you and if it was before the recent OS X update, then report the bug to apple

remove the amp plugin entirely and replicate the test

Will do.

remove the UAD entirely and replicate the test.

CAN'T do. The UAD is my only audio interface and it's also a hub for additional Thunderbolt devices, including the Kontrol S49 keyboard and my SSD drives. Powering off the Apollo audio interface kills the system.

What I can try is removing it from the Logic Preferences while keeping the S49 controller and test record MIDI notes.

If you still have latency issues without the UAD in there, then try to remember the last time this same procedure worked for you and if it was before the recent OS X update, then report the bug to apple

As near as I can remember (remembering when recording timing issues weren't the fault of my playing can be challenging...) this has been happening since the Security updates to High Sierra. I wonder if other High Sierra-Logic 10.4.4 users have the same scenario... Is there a specific Apple/Logic bug report URL?

for the sake of isolating the problem, use the built in audio on your mac and replicate the test. If possible completely unplug and uninstall any drivers even. Remove is a possible cause. Until then, it remains as the possible culprit.

I have seen reports from other users using both HS and Mojave working fine. That doesn't means its fine, but not everyone is having the problem you're having. it still could be an Apple bug, but still might not be. Get rid of the UAD and replicate the problem somehow in the simplest test possible. If you send a bug report to Apple they might email you and ask for a project that demonstrates the problem. if you use the word "UAD" anywhere in that discussion they will shrug it away. You need a reproducible scenario that they can see it...and absolutely remove the possibly that the UAD is causing the problem or perhaps your usage of the UAD.

I have seen reports from other users using both HS and Mojave working fine. That doesn't means its fine, but not everyone is having the problem you're having.

Understood, but I've seen several reports on this forum regarding latency issues that were missing for awhile that have returned recently. I will be attempting to isolate the Apollo interface for direct audio testing. I'll also be checking the other vendors (UAD, Native Instruments, EastWest, etc.) forums for recording delay issues. Could be time to upgrade to Mojave, but I'll be testing further before messing with the OS. As a former Apple Certified Sales Professional I also understand Apple's attitude towards third party products so I will avoid mentioning any of them as I attempt to remove them from the testing process.

I agree, I also see those posts lately. It would be nice if we could isolate the situation for Apple and report it properly. However, its also still true that over time we see a LOT of posts on this forum from users having latency problems that are not bugs, but just usage issues...and granted, LPX is a bit convoluted to figure it out..it has a lot of options and sometimes just getting the options right is not completely straight forward. Its not automatic. Its nothing against you SergeMeister...you very well may be dealing with a legitimate bug, but if you can try to eliminate as many things as possible then we can figure out for sure if this is a bug or not. if so we can all carpet bomb apple with bug reports and hope it gets fixed. There are other latency oriented bugs that have never been fixed, related to external midi and some other odd situations that are difficult to explain to them, I have tried and they have responded to me with requests for more info, and then I hear nothing more and nothing fixed. So... It has to be very clear and simple and obvious for them to recreate the issue, or it won't get fixed..if its even a bug.

Because of all the reports recently I am also suspicious that they broke something but we need more clarity from you and others reporting this problem to be absolutely sure its actually a bug and not something in the way you or they are using LPX. Then when it has been narrowed down to easily replica-table scenario we can report it to them and hope for a fix. Or if you're lucky, we might figure out that you just need to setup Logic slightly differently and get around the issue..that would actually be good for you because you could keep working today rather then waiting for an Apple update.

Condensed version of my reply on the other thread:

It looks like Logic, Apple, and UAD are off the hook for my specific problem. I use Sonarworks Systemwide to work using headphones (apartment studio) and per their bug report solution I had changed the Preferences Audio Output Device from "Universal Audio" to "Sonarworks Systemwide", which appeared to work since I was doing very little actual recording (self-running synth patches, MIDI window direct input, etc.). Switching the Output Device setting back to "Universal Audio" eliminated recording delay with either audio or MIDI.

A unique situation, but this may have happened with other Sonarworks users, so may they learn from my personal memory lapses.