Bouncing audio regions length slightly different from original

ivanietzsche

I need to create some audio loops and export them as audio files but the exported audio is not the same length of the original audio! Specifically, the beginning of the loop is fine and it matches the original but the end is either too long or too short by a few samples

I've tried different way to bounce down the audio: I've used the "Bounce in Place" option (ctrl-B) and I've also used the "Bounce" option (cmd-B) in both circle mode and by just selecting the regions

Another problem is that the inaccuracy of the exported audio is not even consistent throughout the different files I'm trying to export; I haven't really found a logic behind it (the length difference is quite random) so it's a real nightmare!

The Logic project has very few plugins (they are all disabled when I export anyway) and it has a fixed bpm; I also tried the low latency option or turning off latency compensation; Nothing works; the loops I export are never as long as the original audio!

Anyone have any experience with this or knows what the cause might be?

That's probably to accommodate for effect tails such as reverb? Is "Include Audio Tail in File" selected in the BIP window?

Thanks David!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the "Include Audio Tail in File" box is unticked. (I tried all sort of box-ticking combination, just in case, without success... )

Quick Update:

So after a lot of tests and starting the project all over again I've now realized that this issue still persists in other projects, but only affects audio files that are made up of regions last of which starts at an "uneven" position.

For example, if the section that I'm trying to export is made of 2 regions and the second one starts "on the beat", let's say, at 75 2 1 1 (or 77 3 4 1; 123 2 2 1) then the resulting loop would be perfect. But if the last audio region starts at, let's say, 75 2 3 118, or 123 4 4 53 (so not on a beat) then the resulting loop is different in length than the original!

Any idea why this might happen?

I've obviously tried to move all of the affected audio so that the last region lines up with the grid but for some reason, it doesn't work. Looks almost like it remembers how those bits of audio were initially and it refuses to change its mind! And I cannot really play much with the content of the audio.

Any advice?

I see... there's probably a reason for this that is due to how regions are internally coded. I know that with Logic X the way region positions were coded was changed to fix a long standing bug where you could not resize MIDI regions from the left border. It sounds like this may be what's causing this issue. But never mind why, to the user, it's just a bug.

Many thanks for this.

Yes, I can only think it's a bug because I can see this happening in new projects too (unless I work with very simple and snapped-to-grid regions).

Initially, I thought it was just the project, then I thought it was the audio, now I think its Logic. The more I research, the more confused I am. And I cannot really see a logic behind this behaviour.

Would you, or anyone else, have any advice on workarounds or other good (cheap) programs I could use to do what it should be a very simple series of operations?