When do I use the File Editor?

kerochan

Whenever you want to edit the transients inside the audio file (for Flex operations, or for converting to a sampler instrument), and whenever you want to perform destructive audio editing. Destructive means you're not just affecting the way your project plays back the audio file that is on your hard drive (by changing its starting point, its end point, and adding fades on top of the audio region, etc... which you're doing in the Tracks area and Track Audio Editor), but you're actually processing the samples in the audio file: you're changing the audio file itself.

For example:

- Remove DC offset from a recording.

- Change the Gain of the audio waveform inside the audio file (example: I worked with a produce who had me select all breath noises and turn them down -10 dB).

- Manipulate samples, anchors, etc...

In fact open the Audio File editor and look at all the functions you can access in the menus... ask if you have any questions.

And add fade in and fade out, or add silence... and draw out sample peaks by hand. Great click remover.

Thank you, I do all this in the tracks window, never touching file editor.

Destructive fades are used when you want them applied to the audio file itself, without having to bounce your region in place. For example if you want to add a fade to a sample used in the EXS24, let's say.. a vocal sample that starts with a click and you want to remove that click: can't do that in the Tracks area (the EXS24 doesn't read the Tracks area non-destructive fades). Same with adding silence. And you can't draw out sample peaks by hand in the Tracks area.