Audible latency at 64 buffer setting???

deckard1

Hello,

Any guesses as to why I am getting audible latency when recording my electric guitar at a buffer setting of 64 samples in Logic? Logic is giving a reading of 5.8 ms for roundtrip latency which, if I am not mistaken, should not be discernible to the human ear. I do not have any plugins on any channel strips either which could be the cause. I tested the exact same setup I have in Logic in another DAW and there was no audible latency whatsoever at a buffer setting of 64. I contacted Apogee tech support thinking it might be the Duet causing the latency. They had me use direct monitoring with the Duet and the audible latency went away, so the Duet checks out fine.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am completely stumped so far. :cry:

912228545_ScreenShot2018-01-11at10_26_29AM.png.be75e170193e8d499759fd07aa64639a.png

Thanks.

For future situations, always make a copy of the current Logic app and put it in another folder.

That way when you update, you can always revert no problem.

Excellent advice. Thank you.

I happened to find 10.3.2 on a previous Time Machine backup by chance. How do I replace 10.3.3 with 10.3.2 without replacing everything from the Time Machine backup that has 10.2.2 on it? I just drag 10.3.3 to the Trash and put 10.3.2 in my applications folder? Is that it? It can't be that easy. :lol:

Thanks.

Edited by deckard1

So...I reverted to 10.3.2 and the audible latency is still there. I can record my guitar with no problem using Low Latency mode...that works...but, I like to hear the effects when I am playing and recording, if at all possible.

Here is what I have done so far but to no avail:

- SMC and PRAM reset

- Reverted to Logic 10.3.2 from 10.3.3

- Verified audio interface (Duet USB) is not the problem through direct monitoring through Logic

- Unclicked Core Audio => Apply Changes => Clicked Core Audio => Apply Changes [this worked once but the latency came back later]

- No plugins instantiated

- Ran exact same setup in Digital Performer 9.5 and had no problems whatsoever with audible latency

Why would there be no audible latency in DP but audible latency in Logic using the exact same setup on the same computer???

Thanks.

... I can record my guitar with no problem using Low Latency mode...that works...

Strange, that seems to indicate that there are latency inducing plugins in your signal path... In your project, when you enabled LLM, open the mixer in "All" mode and look for plugins that have turned orange, can't you see any ?

... I can record my guitar with no problem using Low Latency mode...that works...

Strange, that seems to indicate that there are latency inducing plugins in your signal path... In your project, when you enabled LLM, open the mixer in "All" mode and look for plugins that have turned orange, can't you see any ?

Hey JakobP,

That is absolutely correct. Thanks. I didn't realize, until David pointed it to me, that a bypassed plugin can still affect latency. So, the bypassed plugins were producing the latency, unbeknownst to me. I somehow thought if the plugins were bypassed they would have no effect regarding latency. Apparently, bypassed plugins still have an 'effect' for automation purposes.

Apparently, bypassed plugins still have an 'effect' for automation purposes.

Exactly, if bypassed effects caused no latency (or any different latency from when they are on, for that matter), turning them back on, or vice-versa (by any automated or non-automated means) would each time cause a nasty audible click, because Logic would have to instantly change the latency of the signal path.

Apparently, bypassed plugins still have an 'effect' for automation purposes.

Exactly, if bypassed effects caused no latency (or any different latency from when they are on, for that matter), turning them back on, or vice-versa (by any automated or non-automated means) would each time cause a nasty audible click, because Logic would have to instantly change the latency of the signal path.

How come certain plugins cause latency and others do not? Seems to be a couple of Waves plugins I own that have the latency in this case.

How come certain plugins cause latency and others do not? Seems to be a couple of Waves plugins I own that have the latency in this case.

Plugins with a lookahead function like multipressors and limiters will create latency.

Plugins that do heavy computations for analogue simulations will create latency.

Most of the classic Waves stuff mimics analogue circuitry, so there's latency.

Plugins with a lookahead function like multipressors and limiters will create latency.

Plugins that do heavy computations for analogue simulations will create latency.

Most of the classic Waves stuff mimics analogue circuitry, so there's latency.

Thanks. That makes perfect sense.