Korg M1 problems

Jilliano
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi guys,

Hope somebody can help me. I have a weird problem.

I would like to use the Korg M1. But the plugin doesn't respond to my midi controller keyboard which is the M-Audio Oxygen49 by the way.

But when I use the Musical Type option I do not have any problems

When I use other plugins in Logic, I also do NOT have any problems with my Oxygen49. Every plugin is working with my midi controller keyboard.

Besides Logic I also have Ableton installed. And I do not have any problems in Ableton with my keyboard. The M1 is working. So, what ... is going on here? :-)

Yesterday I reinstall the plugin but that doesn't solve this problem.

Tips anybody?

My hard/software:

- MacOs Sierra 10.12.6

- Logic 10.3.3

- Korg M1 1.7.1

- M-Audio Oxygen49

All the best

Like I said, I do not have any problems with other plugins. For instance if I put the M1 on midi channel 1, the midi controller doesn't work. If I changed the M1 to another plugin. Everything works well. So what is properly?

The other plugins you are using are likely mono-timbral and don't care about the MIDI channel - that's the usual case for instrument plugins.

The M1 is multitimbral, and plays different parts on different incoming MIDI channels. It's programmed to default to channel 1 for most use cases, and presuming you are using he defaults and haven't changed anything, make sure your controller is transmitting on MIDI channel 1, and it should work (there are other ways of forcing your incoming MIDI notes to channel 1, but I'm trying to keep it simple for a quick fix, for now.)

Where can I see if my controller is transmitting to which channel? :-)

From your manual, page 6.

"Global Channel: The Global Channel function (Global Chan) sets the default MIDI channel for the keyboard and all MIDI controls, except for those that have a specific MIDI channel assigned to them.

1. Press the Edit button.

2. Press the Global Channel key. The LED display will show the current Global channel. For example, if channel 1 is the current Global channel, it will appear as "c.0.1".

3. Enter the new channel number using the number keys.

4. Press the Enter key.

The Global Channel can also be changed by using the following method:

1. Press the Select button until the lower edge of the LED displays a red dot above "Global".

2. Scroll through the MIDI channels using the "<" or ">" buttons to select the new channel number."

Ok, let's try to find out what's going on for you.

Firstly, open a new blank Logic project (to rule out any inadvertent settings done in your existing projects)

In the M1 plugin, press "Global" - what do you have set for "Global MIDI Channel" - if it's not 1, set it to 1.

In the M1 plugin, select "Prog" (program) mode and play some keys on your keyboard - hear anything? (Presumably using the mouse to click on keys in the plugin works and you hear audio ok?)

If your keyboard is still not triggering the plugin, let's check the MIDI notes it's outputting. On Logic's main page, click the down arrow on the right hand side of the transport display (where the bars/tempo etc are displayed) and choose "Custom". This should give you a bigger display that includes the MIDI In and Out indicators ("No In", and "No Out").

Play some keys on your keyboard, watching the "No In" display - when you play notes, you should see a little note indicator, then a number (this is the MIDI channel of the played note), followed by the note played, and it's velocity.

Is the MIDI channel of your incoming notes "1"..?

I'v already got the same settings as you described.

And yes, when I use the mouse to press the keyboard built in the M1, there is sound. No problems.

I already used the custom settings within Logic. When I press the keys, the notes or chords are displayed in the indicator. That's not a problem too.

• Solution

In the track parameters for the selected track (the one with the M1 on), what is the "MIDI Channel" setting? It will likely say "All". Try setting this to 1, see if that has any affect.

Can you zip and upload this blank project with the non-working M1 for me to have a look at?

If that works, then it sounds to me like your keyboard wasn't transmitting on channel 1.

When set to "All", Logic passes the data unchanged as it comes in, to the plugin. Setting it to "1", *converts* all incoming data into channel 1 events. If this works and plays the M1, then your keyboard *wasn't* transmitting on MIDI channel 1 - so you likely didn't correctly change the transmit channel of the MIDI keyboard properly.

However, it's very strange to me that you say notes were indicted in the transport display as channel 1 events, but were being passed to the M1 plugin without it responding to them. I cannot think of *any* reason why this is the case, in a blank Logic template with no extra setting going on or nothing modifying the incoming MIDI events.

I strongly recommend, for an easy life, just to make your keyboard transmit on channel 1, and then forget about it - but at least you know one way to deal with it otherwise.

Like I said before, all settings you described were the same.

How is it otherwise possible that when I swap the M1 for all other plugins I have in the same logic channel strip and all those plugins works. When I swap back to M1, the M1 doesn't work. And when I go back to another plugin, everything works fine?

I've explained this already above. If your keyboard is transmitting on channel 3, most plugins are not multi-timbral, and don't care about the channel, they play the notes anyway.

When you play a plugin that (for example), *only* cares about/listens to MIDI channel 1 notes, you won't hear anything, because you are not sending any MIDI channel 1 notes to it to play.