Input Monitoring Problems

IadAslan

Hi All,

I have a problem that I can't seem to find a solution for:

I am trying to set up a dedicated input monitor channel for monitoring FX etc. only.

I then want to record the actual audio onto separate audio tracks without hearing the input signal from anywhere else but my dedicated input monitor channel.

So far, so good - I set up my monitoring channel to my liking, I enable "input monitoring" (orange button), I hear my signal and I'm pretty much ready to go. Now I select the track that I actually want to record the audio to (orange input monitoring button is set to off) but as soon as I record enable the desired audio track I suddenly get input monitoring through the recording track on top of the previously set up input monitoring channel (I'm hearing both tracks at the same time, the one with FX on and one dry signal from the audio track I'm trying to record on).

How can I disable hearing the additional input from the recording tracks?

I've unchecked both "Input Monitoring only for focused track, and record-enabled tracks" & "Independent monitoring level for record-enabled channel strips" in Preferences > Audio > General, yet I still get independent monitoring as soon as I record-enable a track.

Is there another option I'm missing here?

Thank's a ton in advance for any advice! I'm starting to go crazy with this here...

The "Independent Monitoring" option is simply a way to have the volume fader on the track to have a different position when record armed, nothing else. Since you're already monitoring the signal from another track/aux, the signal doubles when record arming your audio track, coming both from your aux and your record armed audio track. By using the "Independent Mon" option like I described, you avoid that doubling. I can't see what in this behavior would be a bug ?

Ahh ok I understand! Well I was assuming that turning off "Auto Input Monitoring" and all the other options related to this would let me decide where the monitoring would happen and where not. I did not know that record arming a track turns on the monitoring no matter what. Seems like I'll have to get used to your "workaround"...

The end goal of this is to have a single track with all the monitoring FX (compressor, reverb, delay etc.) on instead of having to copy that chain to all the tracks I will be recording audio to. If I'd like a dry signal only via my interface I'd have the same exact problem since I'd be getting the dry signal added from logic as soon as I record arm a track.