Signal flow question in Logic X???

deckard1

What type of different situations would you use the three different modes in? What are some real-world examples, in other words, for each mode?

1) Pre-fader: I want to create an effect where an instrument is slowly moving away from me. Pre-fader send to an Aux where I insert a reverb gets me a static level sent to the reverb, independently of the position of the fader on the instrument's channel strip. Now when I slowly turn the instrument down, the reverb staying the same, I am lowering the dry while keeping the wet the same, which means I'm lowering the dry/wet ratio. In other words I'm raising the wet/dry ratio, so it sounds like the instrument has more and more reverb and less an less dry sound: it's perceived as moving away from me.

2) Post-fader: I want to have a reverb that's centered in the stereo field, so that even if the instrument is panned to one side, the reverb is evenly balanced in the stereo field. Meanwhile the send is affected by the position fo the fader on the instrument channel strip, so that if I change the volume of the instrument, for example to have it louder during the chorus and softer during the verse, or for example when riding a vocal to bring up the weaker parts and tame the parts where the singer is belting out, the wet/dry ratio remains constant: the perception of the distance of the instrument remains constant.

3) Post-pan: Same as #2 except the reverb is panned along with the instrument, so that it is perceived as coming from the same direction as the instrument.

I chose reverb as an example here but obviously sends can be used for many other things.

What type of different situations would you use the three different modes in? What are some real-world examples, in other words, for each mode?

1) Pre-fader: I want to create an effect where an instrument is slowly moving away from me. Pre-fader send to an Aux where I insert a reverb gets me a static level sent to the reverb, independently of the position of the fader on the instrument's channel strip. Now when I slowly turn the instrument down, the reverb staying the same, I am lowering the dry while keeping the wet the same, which means I'm lowering the dry/wet ratio. In other words I'm raising the wet/dry ratio, so it sounds like the instrument has more and more reverb and less an less dry sound: it's perceived as moving away from me.

2) Post-fader: I want to have a reverb that's centered in the stereo field, so that even if the instrument is panned to one side, the reverb is evenly balanced in the stereo field. Meanwhile the send is affected by the position fo the fader on the instrument channel strip, so that if I change the volume of the instrument, for example to have it louder during the chorus and softer during the verse, or for example when riding a vocal to bring up the weaker parts and tame the parts where the singer is belting out, the wet/dry ratio remains constant: the perception of the distance of the instrument remains constant.

3) Post-pan: Same as #2 except the reverb is panned along with the instrument, so that it is perceived as coming from the same direction as the instrument.

I chose reverb as an example here but obviously sends can be used for many other things.

Thank you, David!

You've probably gathered this already, but don't forget that sends go out sideways/parallel to their respective busses from each channel strip.

So, if you had a distortion on Bus 1 and a delay on Bus 2 and you send to both, Bus 2 does not hear any of the distortion from Bus 1 and thus will be processing delay on the clean sound only.- hence why their order is not important.

I think most of us have established unwritten rules of when we'd use a inserts vs bus for that very reason. Although sometimes it does make for interesting results to stray from the track at times. Particularly if you bus out to two separate delays, things can get real spaced out! :)