Hermode tuning: a question and an update

abookstorecowboy

LPX's Hermode tuning now works in Pianoteq, as do all the other tunings, as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately, according to the developer of Hermode, it appears only VSL (Vienna Symphonic Library) offers a major plugin collection that works with Logic Pro X. And this has a bug, he says. The workaround he prescribes (quoted below) doesn't make any sense to me. Could someone clarify what "arranger mode" means? I searched LPX help and there's nothing about "arranger mode."

Here's the developer's statement:

"Logic offers this feature [Hermode]. It works perfectly with the specific instruments of Apple. Besides, the tuning messages are exported by a separate tuning data to external plugins. But as far as I know only the Vienna Symphonic Library supports this data. Unfortunately there exists a regrettable bug: When trying to bounce the result offline, these tuning data will not become transmitted. So, if one wants to store the correct result, one has to bounce the file at the arranger mode online. I discuss this bug a long time ago with Cupertino. It was promised to fix this bug, but nothing has happened."

I also searched the LPX User Guide, but it doesn't mention "arranger," either. So before I run out and spend a lot of money on VSL, I'd like to know if it will do this thing . . .

• 4 months later...

They just mean you need to bounce it in real time within the arranger window. You can't "bounce in place".

I have VSL's VIPro2 player....the problem with Hermode and anything like that is that you're by design never playing a chord with a VSL string sound. therefore, without the equivalent of a "chord track"....there's nothing for it to base it's dynamic contextual tuning off of.....unlike Pianoteq where you have the whole harmony contained in your ten fingers....Hermode doesn't tune anything when you play a single note line--no matter whether the plug in recognizes it or not. Yet, all horn/string parts NEED to be played monophonically....

I'd love to have an explanation of how one might establish a global chord harmony. I'm currently doing string arrangements. It's funny--Cubase (9.5) HAS the global chord track, and HMT, but doesn't seem to have a way to make the HMT FOLLOW the chord track....LPX seems to have more flexible global tuning implementation, but no way to establish the global harmonic movement to follow.

• 1 month later...
It’s a contextual definition, the chord track in Cubase. I have it set to not sound itself at all. Subsequent tracks that do sound can be told to follow HMT or not. Also to contribute to detection or not. I never want them to contribute as it defeats the purpose of having defined the harmony in the chord track.

I should clarify/update something I said above. Cubase 9.5's HMT DOES follow the chord track. There no setting because it just DOES. At least so long as you don't specify other tracks to also add to the HMT detection.

It is my assessment that HMT in Logic, the way they've implemented detection is just not useable for me. I used it for one of the tunes, which had really simple harmony, and it was fine...but, the more complex ones needed the timeline definition of Cubase's Chord Track. There are too many ways to potentially interpret a chord's worth of notes. Logic and iSymphonica seem to take their best guess in near (buffered) real time. Cubase can be configured to use the chords you define for context of the "rest".

• 4 weeks later...