Exported MIDI files: unpredictable positioning in other programs

cbmtrx
Go to solution Solved by cbmtrx,

I had exported several dozen short regions to individual MIDI files. When importing those MIDI files into other programs--Cubase, ProtTools, Studio One--the imported region starts at different positions in the project (usually much later). Quite bizarre. They import fine in Logic.

Couple of questions:

1. Is this a known bug?

2. Does exporting a region to MIDI use that region's *position* in the project when exporting? (yikes)

I'll take any suggestions ya got--thanks!

• Solution

Per a user on the Apple product forum, exporting a region does indeed include its position...as well as EVERY bit of data associated with the project from which it was exported, including tempos, markers, program changes, automation...yikes.

Obviously the intent is just to export a single region so this seems excessive but the solution is to export from a "clean" template at 1,1,1,1. First right-click the region and select "Normalize region parameters", then export it. Rinse and repeat.

Hints

1/ you only have to normalize if you have changed the region or track parameters that are applicable... if you haven't change anything... no need to normalize.

2/ Most programs on import ask what parameters you want to import... MO - better to have them all there

and the import can be selective rather than not there and the import doesn't have options.

3/ Yes you have to be at the start of the project - exporting a region mid way through a song should retain it's position as if I export many tracks with many regions in a composition - on import I don't want them all to start at 1,1,1,1. So there does appear to be a method to the madness :)

May I ask what you intended use, post export is.. as maybe there could be other options...i.e if its for import into a notation package - musicxml would be a better choice.

Yes, if exporting *multiple regions* or even entire tracks from within a larger project, it would make sense to include position data (along with everything else associated with the project) but right-clicking just a *single* tiny region, in my view, implies a different kind of end-use.

In this case, I had put together a slew of short drum loops using a number of different drum setups, each one its own little entity. As it stands, Logic would have me build and export a full project for every one of those 2-/4-bar loops (which is basically what I ended up doing).

But maybe there's a better way to produce dozens of short, exportable MIDI regions without all that legwork? I could just be missing something obvious...