Controller mapping (how to assign note msg to a toggle?)

Ploki

I just bought a fresh supercheap (clearing old stock) Novation LaunchControl - because 16 knobs.

Logic asked me to "autoassign" and I did - why not.

Everything linked to smart controls... Seems like a good way to go about things.

however:

- synths with more parameters, I can't really use "banks" with smart controls

- smart controls really only have tops 12 encoders

so is it better to map parameters in plugins via logic assignment, or with u-he for example directly in the synth? what's your experience?

Edited by Ploki

OKay I just discovered that logics controller assignment is downright A-MA-ZING.

One quip i have with it:

- when i have a button, if its set to CC (toggle) I can program it normally, works as expected.

- when i use the same button with Note (toggle) instead of CC, I can't seem to make it work.

default controller assignment is NOTE and not CC (terrible i know) so i would need to rewrite so so many buttons manually (which is terrible)

Yeah, its not velocity sensitive and i don't think that's the issue here.

Let me describe how it works by default:

CC momentary (you push its 127, you release its 0)

CC toggle (you push its 127, you release -> no message, you push again its 0)

So by default assigned to a parameter it works exactly like that. (momentary keeps parameter ON as long as the button is pressed)

You can change CC momentary behaviour to toggle inside expert view, and that way it works like like this:

push 127+release0 "state ON if OFF", push 127+release0 "state OFF if ON" (so effectively making it a toggle)

For NOTE messages, i suspected it would work the same way.

But it doesn't. I can only make it work like a "toggle switch" by using NOTE *momentary* behaviour.

I can simply bypass all this by reassigning ALL control to CC momentary... but I'd rather not.

and david can you help me with my 2nd controller related issue?

for this one at least i know a workaround, for that one I'm in the blind.

This is for the Note momentary (press on, depress off)

If i select mode to Direct, Toggle or Rotate, it works like a toggle on/off switch. (which makes sense for Toggle and Rotate, but doesn't make sense for Direct mode.)

Because if i set a momentary CC to Direct, it works as it should (pressed is on, depressed is off) and if i set it to toggle,

I also enclosed RAW midi data from Max.

I guess the issue here is that it sends out NOTE ON 127, then NOTE OFF 0 (and not NOTE ON 0), judging by the 2nd RAW flag

945470571_ScreenShot2018-01-19at15_51_03.png.264e4a7a688ce099aba849792b8e5618.png

1790789774_ScreenShot2018-01-19at15_51_09.png.bd78c93568ff10dfeb45ca37bf589b0b.png

192692600_ScreenShot2018-01-19at15_55_15.png.a3e1c910c6369e1c60e7ab134e151572.png