PureData: Can I record floating midi pitch into logic?

t-ride

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to record floating midi pitch into logic? My aim is to build a theremin in PureData that outputs continuous pitch midi and then record it into Logic Pro – is it possible to do this? In other words: I want to record non-discrete MIDI pitches into logic. Has anyone else maybe tried to do this before? 8-)

Cheers

+1 with David. To add to it a little: all MIDI note events are discrete, by semi-tone, that's part of the very design of the MIDI standard.

Other MIDI events may affect pitch in a smoother way, but still discrete:

* Controller event (like Mod Wheel for instance), if mapped to a pitch-modifying parameter of a synth: 128 possible discrete values within a pitch range (that most of the time is user definable, on the synth itself)

* Pitch bend: I can't remember exactly, but it's something like 14,000 or so discrete values over a pitch range (that is user-definable as well on the synth itself) ; achieves very smooth pitch changes even over a significant range (e.g. 2 octaves).

So, you can't record floating MIDI pitch, but what you could record is for instance a random generator of pitch bend events, or whatever sort of generator of pitch bend events (whatever shape of the curve you could muster to design on your generator). It would still be discrete, not floating, but by designing how it affects pitch on the receiving synth, and controlling the pitch bend range, you could achieve something that would sound pretty close to continuous pitch change.

• 2 weeks later...