Trim / legato questions

drakepeterdrake
Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

I'm learning to edit midi in LPX. In the screenshot, I was working with a simple bass line. To test the force legato and trim functions, I purposely extended the note lengths, as shown in the list edit window. The note lengths were also extended in the tracks window, but not in the score window. Is this normal?

Also, when setting legato, is it possible to do so and specify the "strength" of the legato, i.e. 90% legato, or is it 100% or nothing? This sounds like something that could be specified in the midi transform window, but I'm still barely conversant with that thing.

Thanks.

P

1081384432_ScreenShot2018-01-19at4_36_05PM.thumb.png.e720a407d191a1d894d0f93b643be5ba.png

I am not aware of a way after the notes have been recorded. However there would be during recording...

in the Midi Thru settings adjust the gate time......

This parameter affects the absolute note duration or length, which can be different from the musical note value. The practical effect is to make notes in the region more staccato or legato. The parameter range is related to the original note lengths. Fix produces extreme staccato. Values below 100% shorten the notes. Values above 100% lengthen the notes. The “legato” setting produces a completely legato effect for all notes, no matter what their original lengths, eliminating all space between notes in the affected region.

• Solution

You can use something like QuickTime 7 to pause and scrub animated gifs.

Here's a description though:

Scenario 1:

1. Select all notes.
  2. Use the Force Legato key command.
  3. Set the Clip Length accordingly.
  4. Use the Apply All Parameters Permanently key command.

Scenario 2:

1. Select the notes you want.
  2. Use the Force Legato key command.
  3. Use a Transformer set to Length: All || Scale: The value you want to multiply the current length with.
  4. Click Operate.

Thanks, Eric. I just watched your gif about a dozen times and got what I needed, which was how you set up the transform window. I made the same one and labelled it "variable legato", and it does exactly what I had hoped. I had also written exactly the same window you did to eliminate 1-126 on the sustain pedal earlier today, but it didn't work. I did it again following your example and it's perfect. Thanks again.

P

Thanks for the tip on this Eric, very useful!

I made one small change for my setup. I input an 'Add' value instead of using 'Scale' for the note length. As I found long sustained notes were getting lengthened a bit too much.

By the way, has there always been a small gap between notes when using force legato? I've only just noticed it when playing around with the transform set.