Logic Pro X 10.4.1 Released!

drb

I LOVE the last parameter automation auto-select, but it's picking SOLO all the time (when I use solo either with the mouse, or key command), which I never automate. I've unticked solo in the settings where it's an option to include in automation (sorry, not able to fire up Logic at the moment, don't remember where that is and what the wording is). Any thoughts, help?

• 2 weeks later...
I had a nasty little surprise when I upgraded from 10.3.3 to 10.4 and Sierra to High Sierra at the same time. One of my projects ceased to be openable. I had to open it on an old machine and export stems. Big complex project. Others were fine. Apple doesn't own that it was their fault, although they went out of their way to make sure they spent a bunch of my time uploading the project to their insanely slow help server. Then they said no eta on a fix and they don't even know what the problem is. Meanwhile, I've actually provided additional diagnostic detail to them and they just say thanks. Not even "we're aware of the problem" or "they're be a fix next release"... There are others elsewhere on this forum who've experienced similar problems moving from 10.3.3/Sierra to 10.4 High Sierra, so I know I'm not the only unfortunate son here...

I had a nasty little surprise when I upgraded from 10.3.3 to 10.4 and Sierra to High Sierra at the same time. One of my projects ceased to be openable. I had to open it on an old machine and export stems. Big complex project. Others were fine. Apple doesn't own that it was their fault, although they went out of their way to make sure they spent a bunch of my time uploading the project to their insanely slow help server. Then they said no eta on a fix and they don't even know what the problem is. Meanwhile, I've actually provided additional diagnostic detail to them and they just say thanks. Not even "we're aware of the problem" or "they're be a fix next release"... There are others elsewhere on this forum who've experienced similar problems moving from 10.3.3/Sierra to 10.4 High Sierra, so I know I'm not the only unfortunate son here...

Always keep an old version installed when you update. Just make a copy before you hit update in the app store. It will save you some time...

Otherwise, yes, their support is not the most responsive. Can you describe the problem?

@Ploki - lesson learned.

Broken project had many prior saved versions and alternatives. None were openable in 10.4/Sierra via Option-Open. Logic crashes when you try to open any of them.

Problem details per crash dialog start out as follows:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000001

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

Replacing ProjectInformation.plist with an earlier version offered no relief.

The project was openable on an older MacBook Pro running Logic 10.2.2 and OSX 10.9.5.

A possibly related thread on the Apple forums is here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/33010334?ac_cid=tw123456#33010334 (See AndySocial towards bottom of page).

Huh!

I was lucky enough i guess. Even opened a few LP9 projects.

however most of my projects were created on LPX 10.3.3 on High Sierra before I updated to 10.4... so maybe being on high sierra on 10.3.+ helped. I dont think i have much 10.2 or earlier projects to test it out

I also avoided Sierra and stayed with El Capt. (10.11.6) for a long time.

However, I really wanted LPX 10.4 and decided it was time to reconsider it.

The upgrade experience was not as bad as I thought, and you can still get Sierra.

I barely noticed any difference at all actually.

I keep Siri turned off, but, I only wish now, that I did not get too involved with iCloud because it moves your files all over the place and it can be a chore getting things back to normal. So stay away from iCloud, unless you really want or need it.

Learn all about it before you let it take over your Desktop and Documents folders.

Well worth getting Sierra so LPX 10.4 and 10.4.1 will work.

The new strings & horns pushed me over the edge actually.

Good Luck

Here's what I do to make sure I'm safe before updating. I buy a new drive. Hybrid SSD's are not that expensive and are pretty dang peppy.

--Side Note--

In fact, I outgrew my 500GB internal M.2 SSD on my 2013 Mac Pro, so I bought a 2TB Hybrid SSD intending to replace the system drive. Only when the drive arrived did I realize the internal wasn't a 2.5" and I couldn't put the new drive inside.

--Back to the story--

I installed High Sierra and Logic 10.4 fresh on the new drive externally (USB connected) told OS X to copy apps files and settings from previous OS/Drive. Now, I have a cloned drive with new OS and new Logic.

It works so well I just keep the external USB Hybrid SSD plugged in all the time as my system drive. When 2TB M.2 SSDs come down in price, maybe I'll buy a new internal drive. Maybe when Logic 11 comes out...

P.S. I upgraded to 10.4.1 with no problems. I guess It helps that I maintain current installations of OS X and Logic on 3 machines - my Mac Pro and 2 MacBook Pros so I have the ability to test the installation on the least critical machine first.

Anyone facing issues with Piano Roll on Logic Pro X 10.4.1? Maybe because I am not using Logic correctly.

I was fascinated for a short while that Logic finally started show percussion name on the left side of Piano Roll window until I discovered that it only shows piano keys instead of names sometimes.

Another alleged glitch is the horizontal scroll bar of the piano roll pane sometimes disappears. I need to resize the window everytime it happens.

Yet another alleged glitch is zoom slide buttons in the Piano Roll pane does not sometimes allow zooming.

I have not found what triggers the above problems yet.

well ... since the release day when I clicked on "upgrade" my app store says "download stopped". No matter if I click "continue" (fortsetzen) or "update all" (Alles updaten), nothing happens. Since I tried it again every day a reboot obviously does not help. Any advice anyone?

1718058213_Bildschirmfoto2018-03-05um00_46_11.thumb.jpg.4e9f2a7f9a9442e05dd74cfadc7c8314.jpg

1629147230_Bildschirmfoto2018-03-05um00_51_23.jpg.7849210ad842f0c6f14c803a12640b1a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Triplets ;-)

thanks. Had this idea and did what you suggested before you posted. Thanks anyways!

Well the "stucked" Appstore did work again. And the installation "succeded" but my Logic says it is still 10.4.0 /;-/

Do I need to upgrade to High Sierra? (no thank you - won`t yet)

Cheers!

thanks!

Cai

i think i found the reason ;-)

Though running Sierra on my system drive I have HIGH Sierra installed on an external Hard Drive (test start volume) and by coincidence found out that LXP 10.4.1 WAS actually updated there. So I ran the upgrade again on the "true" 10.4.0 LXP version on my system disk and now I got peace. Hope this might help someone else.

Thanks for inspirations again.

C

I had(have) 3 major issues with this update:

1. Missing loops/presets. I tried reorganising everything on an external SSD, and made a symbolic link. This works after a fashion, but I'm still missing stuff. If I try to use the updater, it says it want to install 30 GB's, while I'm only missing a few items. Plus, I'm not sure the installer will not try to install to my boot disk... I've had Logic since day 1, and my library has become a mess, with stuff related to GB and Logic...

2. Issues with plug ins. Quite a few show up twice(they are completey the same afaik) in the plug in amanager, they fail or get scanned everytime I launch LPX. Had to cull them by hand, and it's better now. I am a vigilant updater, so it's not a case of obsolescence.

3. Issues with old projects that will load fine at first, but will crash on load after I've done some editing/insterted more plug ins and saved. When I try to import the tracks in a new project, Logic complains that I'm trying to do to much and nothing happens.

Messy update for this old user. Not happy at all.

Zip