Logic 10.4.1 for El Capitan?

kerochan

Yes thats true Flsherking, Its not ever gonna be compatible with an ealier OS, just wishful thinking on my part! As for bugs though, many reports on the Apple Logic forum, having said that, Logic 10.4 looks fab.

Looks like a lot of stable El Capitan/Logic 10.3 people will not get the chance to witness it however

• 3 weeks later...

I am in a quandary.

Using Mac Pro (Early 2009) which will not let me update OS from ElCapitan so I can download LOGIC 10.4.

Present system stable and used every day.

Waiting for new Mac Pro forever (don't want to buy trashcan only to see it replaced soon?)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Quite a few on here (Including myself) have used a 'hack' to run Sierra or High Sierra on Mac Pro's from 2008-onwards, and i've not seen any negative reports yet. See here for more info:-

http://dosdude1.com/sierra/

or

http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

Backup first if you try it of course, and follow the procedure carefully and note the loss of wifi 'if' your machine is affected.

Mine (2008) is running great.

• 3 months later...

Logic is the only DAW which can't run on El Capitan. :oops: what a shame.

Last updates for most every DAWs : Ableton live, Bitwig, Reaper, studio one can !!!

What a trap Apple, only their DAW is not able to run on there own over expensive mac !

Time to swap and stop feeding these obese shareolders.

Logic is the only DAW which can't run on El Capitan. :oops: what a shame.

Last updates for most every DAWs : Ableton live, Bitwig, Reaper, studio one can !!!

What a trap Apple, only their DAW is not able to run on there own over expensive mac !

Time to swap and stop feeding these obese shareolders.

I wouldn't worry about it Dupoint, from the amount of complaints about Logic 10.4 you are best off with the version you have, I have Logic 10.3.2 and all runs smoothly.

I'm currently moving to Reaper, but it's not for these reasons. My frustrations with Logic is how there's still many legacy components that haven't progressed. Why there's a need for the environment for excluding/including MIDI devices from the sequencer, and the silly method of demixing AFTER recording from multiple MIDI devices at once. I've just had enough off it.

Logic's never been good at just hitting the record button mid-loop and record a take across multiple tracks either (If not setup first), and that's another bug bear i've had with it for years. In theory it's good, but in practise it still reacts odd at times.

Reaper so far has been incredibly flexible to fit my workflow, the customisation really is incredible after working in such a ready-made environment which is cozy, and it doesn't seem to be forcing me down a specific route like Logic has for years. Silly things like fully automatic track/region colouring based on track name is such a welcome bonus and still making me smile each time i see it.

I love Logic, and will really miss it and it's suite of plugins, but using external sequencers such as drum machines, and synths with arps that are constantly throwing MIDI data out, well, Logic is terrible at managing if you want to audition it but not record - yet it's always had such a good reputation for MIDI devices.

To keep going into the environment on a large res monitor and make minute adjustments for the entire project when i just want to select or exclude a device per track is really soul destroying. The larger the product gets the more confusing it becomes too when i'm fleshing ideas out. You record enable a track, but you forgot to change it in the environment - damn!

That said, i think it make sense that Apple would be pushing their own progression of frameworks on flagship products to show developers the improvements they can have - it's on them to do so to lead developers that way.

Logic still is the CPU king because of that i feel, Ableton Live falls down under a fraction of the load you can put on Logic, Studio One the same, and as for Reaper it's not fully Mac optimised. So, let's not rule out the benefits of Apple running an optimised app which makes use of it's latest technologies.

As someone who's mid-jumping ship because of Logic's one foot in the past, i'm a big supporter for them pushing forwards - i just wish it was on some of the more core/legacy components that's running at it's core.

Good luck, you are gonna find problems and bugs.

There's a big bug where i miss the Logic compressors, flex time, mackie support and drummer already lol, you don't appreciate what a wonderful suite Logic has when it's taken away but it's just been zapping my creativity recently, after 10.4 and a great update i just felt really down on Logic and was unable produce anything in it, just found myself tinkering and procrastinating - really weird, but that spiralled and annoyed me, then the silly things that take my mind away from being creative just became so evident when i'm thinking 'Why have i been working like this for years?!'.

So i just want something quick to get my ideas down, but not too 'easy' to be pushing out watered down crap. And i think Reaper is going to fit that requirement for my particular setup and way of wanting to work.

Bugs and workflow aside i think the best judge is on what you actually produce using different tools. So after a month or so, i'm going to sit and listen to what i've done with either and decide on which is best for me that way. I'm a guitarist who loves his rock/indie music yet i'm easily pulled into a synth realm, which is more the techy/geeky side of me. So it's probably not a bad thing for me to come out of the comfort of Logic, I mean, there's times i've just pulled up the Liverpool Bass instrument in Logic rather than plug my actual Bass guitar in as it's a few foot out of reach, as an example! :)

• 4 months later...

I'm curious, skijumptoes: You used a hack to update to Sierra (or High Sierra) and wrote "Mine (2008) is running great." But later you decided to stop using Logic altogether due to the 10.4 bugs... are others with newer Macs also experiencing the bugs? Might some of your troubles be due to the hack OS update?

I have an older Mac Pro, like you, and was tempted by the hack/update, but since I've got a stable system, I'm not going to risk it. So I'll need either a new Mac (preferable) or an additional older one to experiment with, before I'll get to try 10.4.

I'm still running it, on 10.4.2 now and it's been good, it's super solid, i can't think of any stability issues i've experienced. But, obviously showing it's age a little bit at times:- i.e. GPU in mine (ATI HD 2600 XT 256mb), it's severely lacking by modern standards. More modern plugins such as the new logic reverb (Who's name i've forgotten) do halt playback a little bit when first loading them up, for example.

It's weird as i also run Logic on a 2012 Mac Book Pro which has the Metal support, and it for things like the new style reverbs it sails through that, but i can't load it up with pure weight of a project like i can my 2008 Mac Pro, so much comes down to technology and what you are using i think.

In terms of the Hack causing any issues, only one i can think of is loss of WiFi - but i have two mac pro's sat in studio environment and they always gonna have ethernet so i'm good on that front.

Really the issues i have with Logic is more due to how it handles multiple MIDI devices on a per-track basis, and REAPER offers so much flexibility in comparison to that. I'm still just scooting between them a little undecided on which i prefer, and to make matters worse i got a free upgrade to Cubase with some hardware a month or so back so i'm also playing with that.

One day, i swear i'll just sit down and get some songs finished!!! Honest!!! I Hate technology, despite earning a living from it!! :-P

I would 100% go for the upgrade as 10.4 brings so much goodness to the table, it's a bit of an anti-climax when you run the 'hack' really, i've done it on 3 machines now and each one just went through with no fuss - whereas i was expecting more of a struggle. Not saying don't backup and prepare etc. But they were so easy to upgrade, that i wondered why i spent so much time preparing beforehand - hence why i say it's a bit of an anti-climax, cause it 'just works'. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

I realise that this is a fairly old post. Hoping someone can helm me find a version of logic 10.3.3 for El Captan.

I have a mid 2009 mac book pro which I've maxed out with 2 ssd's and 8gb of Ram. It suffices my purpose for the time being. I was holding out on Mountain Lion for a long time - but just recently installed El Captan (most recent OS that runs on this machine).

Of course when I tried to update my outdated logic version 10.0.7 nothing happens as only 10.4 is now available on the app store. My punishment for fighting the system!!

So can anyone help me with locating a 10.3.3 ?

Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Has anyone here kept and old version of Logic 10.3.3. (last compatible version with El Cap)

No its no longer available on app store - only 10.4. So no I'm stuck with a very outdated Logic 10.0.7

I was really hoping all the logic friends here could help with this so I don't have to spend time and extra $$ with apple for something I already paid for.

anyone ?

No 10.3.3 has been taken down..

only 10.4 is available.

So when you click on "Get" or "Install" or whatever the wording is in the App Store for Logic, what exactly does the App Store tell you?

(I'm not talking about the description, which will always show the version number of the current version (10.4.2)).

What *should* happen is that you get an alert that says "This app is not compatible with your OSX version. Would you like to download the last compatible version of this application?"

I'd like to verify that you did this exact procedure, and what the App Store told you when you did it...

Just to note: You can't expect someone to upload their copy of Logic, as it will have their receipt in it which is tied to their Apple ID. It won't run on your system, as you won't be able to log in as the original purchaser to verify the purchase.

Thanks des99.

When I click on "update" - nothing happens other than a spinning ball. Nothing is downloaded. No data files. No internet activity. The ball keeps spinning.

I learned elsewhere on this forum that 10.3.3 is no longer an option on the app store. I understand this WAS an option before. I guess I missed my window. ( to save you scrolling up : My macbook pro only allows El Cap ( Not compatible with more recent OS) which means that the latest logic version will be 10.3.3.

Hope you can understand my dilemma.

Right now I feel a little manupulated to push me to buy a new machine I dont need. So you'll understand that

I dont want this question to become a App store discussion, not what I should have done and when. I've spent far too long on this already. If anyone has 10.3.3 install package I would be greatful, if not that's fine.

(and yes its all paid for and legit. I just don't want to spend any more time with apple, nor yield to buying a new machine just because one app is off line).

So .. Logic Pro Help Friends:

does anyone have the 10.3.3 install package ? Someone must have.

thanks for listening!

When I click on "update" - nothing happens other than a spinning ball. Nothing is downloaded. No data files. No internet activity. The ball keeps spinning.

Ok good, thanks - that's not the same as "Logic 10.3.3 is no longer available" or the App Store functionality has changed, it means that something screwy is going on with your App Store, most likely.

I learned elsewhere on this forum that 10.3.3 is no longer an option on the app store. I understand this WAS an option before.

I don't think this is true.

I guess I missed my window.

The App Store feature to let you download the last compatible version with your OS was *specifically* introduced for this situation.

Right now I feel a little manupulated to push me to buy a new machine I dont need. So you'll understand that

No one's doing that, we're trying to help you solve your problem...

The easiest things to do/try to resolve the issue (you may have done some or all of these things already, but I'll note them just in case you haven't):

- Log out of the App Store, then logging back in and try to re-download Logic.

- If that doesn't work, try creating a new user account on your Mac, and logging into the App Store using that account, to rule out user account issues

Let us know how you get on...

UPDATE:

I called apple .. the issue was resolved in 10 minutes.

(He got me to trash the old logic 10.0.7 version (after backing up) - I also had logic 9 in the apps folder which I trashed there god knows why.. rebooted then app store allowed me to download the latest compatible version 10.3.3).

I think I'd tried this already but without rebooting!!

des99 thanks for your help, which is totally appreciated! (and skijumptoes and triplets)

(no the gentle pressure to buy a new machine comes not form this or any forum, but the manufacturer themselves ;-) I never felt it here!!! ;-)

I will buy a new machine for logic 10.4 which I think it great, but not today!

thanks guys.

• 11 months later...

Hey I want to know if this still applies?

i read on logic forums that if you remove your old logic and restart your computer you should get the most updated version of logic suitable for your older OS (in my case El capitan) now that i cleared logic with Appcleaner and restarted my macbook and went to app store, it says that i need mac os 13.6. to get logic.. which would mean prolly the newest version of logic. So i ask if apple has stopped supporting older versions of logic or am i doing something wrong? maybe need to delete something? any help would be appreciated.