Volume Level

brandeneatsfood

Yes, we don't perceive different frequencies the same way depending on loudness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

So it's expected that listening at different levels results in different perceptions of the same audio. It's often recommended that you mix at a "reasonable" level (where you can hear things clearly but not getting tired and certainly not damaging your ears), and then check your mix at low and high levels.

• 3 weeks later...
That's definitely on my to-do list but at the moment i don't have $600-$1000 dollars to drop on high-quality monitors. Any recommendations on headphones that could be used for this purpose?

There are speaker monitors that are less expensive than that.

If you want to go the headphone route, I'd look into Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (I have mixed with those), or AKG 702.

What should the volume level of my laptop be when im using logic?

In terms of your laptop, the output of your computer should be set to max output. Why? because at lower computer output levels, you may end up mixing too hot and not realize that you are actually distorting your signal. Your DAW level meters should be the give-away, but with a lower computer speaker level, you won't hear the distortion and assume everything is fine.

What should the volume level of my laptop be when im using logic?

In terms of your laptop, the output of your computer should be set to max output. Why? because at lower computer output levels, you may end up mixing too hot and not realize that you are actually distorting your signal. Your DAW level meters should be the give-away, but with a lower computer speaker level, you won't hear the distortion and assume everything is fine.

This is what I was doing but it seems others disagree on it

That's definitely on my to-do list but at the moment i don't have $600-$1000 dollars to drop on high-quality monitors. Any recommendations on headphones that could be used for this purpose?

There are speaker monitors that are less expensive than that.

If you want to go the headphone route, I'd look into Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (I have mixed with those), or AKG 702.

Thanks, I'll look into that, I've read good things about Beyerdynamic