Console EQ is slow to react

Studio ML

I believe this is occurring because the output stage of the vintage EQs is modeled - using convolution technology like that of Space Designer. In other words, adjustments you make to parameters involve a recalculation/convolution of the output stage.

I have no doubt that this can be refined/tweaked for speed, but a small calculation delay may always be there - even on fast machines....unless Apple add an "Off" option to the Output menu. Undoubtedly, this would have a negative impact on the colouration of the plugs, so may not happen.

Tbh in DSP terms, most digital EQs are more or less the same. (There's not much you can do here be design).

Aside from low-level component modelling such as seen in some synth emulations, a digital filter is pretty much a digital filter. (Dunno how well component modelling EQ would fare in computational effectiveness? and i certainly don't know any that are designed like that)

so IRs is imo essentially what gives these characters.