Saving logic sounds to External hardrive.

DevinSpencer

Can someone help me. I have a Mac book pro 8gb with logic and Keyscape on it. So I have a External hardrive do to glitches and I recently saved logic sounds to my External Hardrive but logic won’t recognize the sounds, so it’s wants me to download the sounds again. What do I have to do to make everything sync so logic will recognize the sounds and there me no disc too slow messages and glitches????

I was able to download Symbolic link and I followed directions, then when I selected “make a symbolic link” to my Apple loops 30,000 plus symbolic links copied to my desktop. I finally deleted them all but one. I transferred the symbolic link Apple loops to my internal hard drive and the actual Apple loops to External Hardrive. Started up Logic x and Logic doesn’t recognize it because it’s trying to make me download sounds. What did I do wrong??

Well, I can't comment then. I have this working since Logic 10.1 and OSX 10.10 using the same process shown in the article.

One thing I did that's a bit different is to replicate the whole folder structure on the startup drive onto external drive starting with the Library folder. That makes it easy to remember where things are supposed to go, to move a load of other stuff from this folder to the external drive, and to make sure you make the link in the correct place and move it to the correct place. But I don't see how any of that would matter in your case.

I must have selected all the content somehow then made the link. It kept copying like that for every link I made. I made a link for Logic and Apple loops both 30,000 plus. Still in that order though library/application support/Logic. One thing I just realized too was. I had more then one folder titled Logic in my Mac hardisk maybe Logic didn’t recognize it because of that.

• 1 month later...
Did you put the content where you want it and then make the link? Or did you make the link and then move the content. You have to do the first. There is an article on this board on the matter.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/move-logics-additional-content-secondary-drive/

Can anybody tell me whether the method linked above still works in High Sierra?

And for anyone using the method in High Sierra, do you have your external drive (SSD I am assuming) formatted APFS or HFS+?

Yes. It works fine.

Thanks for the quick response.

I would still like to know how people using High Sierra are formatting their external SSDs. Apple recommends formatting SSDs as APFS. I haven't noticed any improvement on my system drive by using APFS. If I format it as HFS+ I could avoid the issue of having my files be disordered (not a huge deal but still). I'm just curious what other users are doing.