Control tempo changes from Midi controller

XMaramena

I have an Arturia Keylab 88 and I want to be able to use one of the faders to sit in the center, and let me link it to the tempo track so that +/- 63 on the midi CC will adjust the tempo by +/- 30 BPM on the track (can I do this in a latch or write mode?). I think I have to do something with the midi environment, but I've never quite figured it out.

• 2 weeks later...
In the MIDI Environment, choose New > Fader > Special > Tempo Control. Assign whatever knob on your controller to that fader and cable the fader into the Sequencer Input. Press record and tweak.

Getting a little stuck - I have the tempo fader created, and sequencer input routing into the tempo fader, but not sure how to get it to input from my Midi CC 85

• 1 year later...

Ah! Just found what I needed here! Now, tweaking the knob 7 (cc26) on my Alesis Vi61 makes the tempo go from 50 to 177 in Logic despite the range set to 0-127 in the Alesis editor and in the Tempo object in the environment. My MIDI monitor utility also shows a 0 - 127 range. If I set manually the tempo in Logic to say, 200 and tweak the keyboard knob a little bit from the zero position, the tempo revert back to 50. 50 to 177 is exactly 127 steps. Good.

I suppose this "50 to 177 BPM real world tempo range" is hard coded in Logic when controlling the tempo via the environment? No way to change that?

Thankyou!

• 4 months later...
Do you have music that is below 50bpm and/or above 177bpm ?

Then it's time to listen to some music: "Bohren Und Der Club Of Gore" or "Sunn O)))" and drum n bass in general on the other side of the spectrum.

Unfortunately, there is no development with Logic Environment since years. Not sure if tempo changes might be possible with OSC ...

Do you have music that is below 50bpm and/or above 177bpm ?

Then it's time to listen to some music

I'm not claiming such music does not exist. However, in a live environment (which was the use case) I find it highly unlikely that someone will be able to reliably lock into a click at below 50bpm without subdivisions. Try it, it's pretty hard. Also I doubt that it's essential to cover both ends of the tempo spectrum with a tempo fader. I was questioning the given range being a "huge limitation".

• 10 months later...
Select the Tempo fader, and in the Inspector, set the Tempo input parameters like so:

logic-002.png

Hi, guys! I need some help... I did it exactly like that, but I can't control the tempo fader with my midi keyboard (Axiom 61) no matter what I try... obviously I'm missing something, so I'll be grateful for your assistance. Thank you in andvance!

Could you show how you connected the tempo fader in the Environment and display its inspector?

img1.png.fac97c7f7ded9bbae1b8c9a4e8fc5859.png

img2.png.e51d07433af035c85562f07cda195f49.png

And actually the strange thing is it's working with (and only with) the Modulation slider on my keyboard:

img3.png.c1527d863abb7c71295c6e0f6cb032e7.png

With any other knob/slider it doesn't...

Edit: Well, I have no idea why the images are not displayed... I put URLs so you could see them...

Edit: Well, I have no idea why the images are not displayed... I put URLs so you could see them...

Make sure you don't use a 3rd party website to host images. Instead, next time you need to attach images, please follow the instructions to attach them to our forum: How to attach files to your post

Thanks! I fixed the images in your previous post.

Are those other knobs assign to control other things as well?

Well, it seems that was the problem... Thank you! Sorry for the newb question, but how could I see if a knob is assigned to control something? I did it in a workaround way I think - I just assigned the knob to do something (I suppose it overwrites a previous assignment if there's any), then I deleted that new assignment and voilà! - the knob is obviously available and I could assign it to the tempo fader. But as I tried before that to assign every single knob on my keyboard and none of them worked, it means all of them are assigned to something (right?)... so... is there a way in Logic to see what the knob X actualy does?

• 6 months later...

There's a problem. Despite i can change the tempo with a MIDI controller, as soon as i hit play or rec the tempo reverts to it's previous setting. In fact the MIDI controller via the environment fader is not affecting the tempo lane. And the lane will prevail.

Any way to have the lane affected by the MIDI controller? otherwise i find it useless. You can change tempo during the playback, but you can't do it before hitting play...

Have you enabled the tempo recording in the projects recording settings?

As far as I understand it that's not the main problem: Imagine your song tempo is set to 120 and you have created that slider in the environment. You change the tempo with the slider while Logic is stopped, for example to 100. This is reflected in the "LCD" readout. When you hit "play" Logic will play back at 120, not 100.

On the other hand if you change the tempo in the LCD it will play back with that manually changed tempo.

This is also visible in the tempo track: direct changes in the LCD affect the tempo track value when Logic is stopped, changes done with the slider don't.

It feels not exactly intuitive.

For Logic to keep the tempo changes from the tempo fader, Logic needs to record them.

IOW, on its own, Logic will follow the tempo map that is already recorded.

Therefore one has to proceed as documented, and also enable the tempo changes option in the project recording settings (as mentioned in my previous post).

Otherwise, the tempo fader actions won't be permanent, as you experienced it.