How to keep video, audio, and markers lined up?

bhuether

Hi, I am new to Logic and am doing a film scoring project in Logic X (10.3). I need to use markers and then make tempo and time sig adjustments so that bars/beats will be aligned to certain events in the video.

So far I have set up movie sync. I am using offset SMTPE. Also, I have set it up so that video start shows SMPTE same way as shown on the movie itself (since the movie does not start at 1.0.0.0.

So, I set up markers, have them SMPTE locked, audio is also SMPTE locked. In ruler, I see bars/beats. Now when I adjust tempo, what I expect to happen is that audio, markers, and video stay aligned. So I expect audio at bar 1 to always be same, for any marker set at a particular point corresponding to audio to stay the same, and for video to stay aligned. THen when viewing bars/beats ruler, I would simply expect these bars/beats divisions to expand or contract depending on changes, and for this shifting view of bars/beats to simply be superimposed on a static view of audio/markers/video.

However, what is happening is that when I adjust tempo, Logic is shifting audio, video, and markers. That is, markers lose their relative position to audio, and audio and video go out of sync.

Really driving me nuts. Can someone suggest project settings that will result in the desired behavior?

Logic started life as a MIDI Sequencer. That means that by default it refers to positions (of markers, regions, notes etc...) in bar/beats. If you change the tempo, the bar/beat positions stay the same.

If you'd prefer to keep the same "real time" positions independently of bars/beats, then select the desired regions or objects and choose Functions > Lock SMPTE Position.