Recording and Mixing in Logic

cma

Hello Everyone

Apologies if you have heard this one before, this is my first post, I have tried to find the answers but it just gets me more confused.

So, when you record in Logic do you simply open up logic, select an analog track and record what ever it is your recording- and then keep doing this till you have finished all the parts and then edit the files and then import them into a mix templat.

Or

Do you record directly into your mix template, edit and then start mixing.

Thank you for any light you can pass this way into the gloom.

Hey thanks for your post.

That's what I have been doing, but professionals seem to use a mix bus template

which professionals?

i have a set of templates; one is mostly used. as i build up a song, i am also mixing... in a DAW, it's an easy (and perhaps logical) thing to do. there's just no reason to move everything to another template, and then mix... but it's do-able, if that's what you want.

outside of bouncing out tracks for someone else to mix, i don't know of anyone who uses a seperate project for mixing (again, unless everything is bounced out as audio...). still, whatever works for you.

Hmmmmm ok. I went to PureMix and they had Fab DuPont and Andrew Scheps doing videos where have a bus mix - not that I understood it - then they do sub mixes from that. They put side chain compression on to the bus tracks. ....I'll stop there because as I say I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'll put a link in below

https://www.puremix.net/video/fab-dupont-mixing-template.html

Hmmmmm ok. I went to PureMix and they had Fab DuPont and Andrew Scheps doing videos where have a bus mix - not that I understood it - then they do sub mixes from that. They put side chain compression on to the bus tracks. ....I'll stop there because as I say I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'll put a link in below

https://www.puremix.net/video/fab-dupont-mixing-template.html

There´s no trick to it, just take a step back and record and mix and learn along the way.

I've recently started using different Logic files for different purposes.

I have a Tracking Template for tracking. In that file, I will record all tracks needed for the song. Make any arrangement edits, name each track appropriately, etc.

I will then output each track (export all tracks as audio files). With their desired sound (very helpful for when some plugins get EOL'd).

I will then open a Mixing Template. Import all stems. I will use that to do a mix. I noticed that once I started treating the mix as a mix, my mixes got done much quicker.

Everyone works differently, and for a long time I mixed straight in my original file. There is no right and wrong way to deal with tracking to mixing. Do what feels right and works for you.

I've recently started using different Logic files for different purposes.

I have a Tracking Template for tracking. In that file, I will record all tracks needed for the song. Make any arrangement edits, name each track appropriately, etc.

I will then output each track (export all tracks as audio files). With their desired sound (very helpful for when some plugins get EOL'd).

I will then open a Mixing Template. Import all stems. I will use that to do a mix. I noticed that once I started treating the mix as a mix, my mixes got done much quicker.

Everyone works differently, and for a long time I mixed straight in my original file. There is no right and wrong way to deal with tracking to mixing. Do what feels right and works for you.

That to me seems very convoluted. :-)

Hence the reason I wrote (because sometimes reading comprehension is a difficult thing): Everyone works differently.

I also thought it was convoluted, until I ran into issues of losing old sounds when software doesn't get updated and old computers die. Thus, stemming out the sounds before a mix helps to preserve (future proof) things so that old songs will be openable in any DAW in the future.

Wait until you lose sounds that you used. You might think differently at that point.

I quite like the idea of planning the song in stages. Tracking and edit. Then export to a template to mix. I think the song would be finished before the tracking is done. There is a tendency with computers to make it up as you go along, rather than have a clear idea before you start

I do most of my work with VIs and start by writing my song and arrangement in Logic. Once the writing and arrangement is finished, I will save it and then open a new Alternative ( in the same project) and name it songname-mix.

I convert all my midi tracks to audio and finish the mix in that Alternative. If I need to fix anything, midi wise, I’ll go back to the other Alt and fix it there, then import that into the Mix session.

I find that it helps me to have a seperate “file” for mixing without any midi tracks. This way I don’t have to worry about articulation changes... and It gets me out of writing mode and into finish/mixing mode. I love the Alternatives feature for this.

• 1 year later...

maybe a late response :) but in my experience it's really up to what you are doing :). Are you making music for yourself or are you recording for a client. If I record a rock/metal song with REAL drums its not just practical but necessary. The project get big and if u are using amp sims and plugins the load on the cpu get really heavy and you ended up with 50-60 tracks.. If u are doing little home recording maybe not. :) BUT!! .. and that's was a big but for me :) I lost a lot of creativity and got distracted of all the wonderful plugins out there when I tried to mix the song. So I get a better workflow now where I use one recording template and when I am happy with the recordings and the song, I Export the tracks individually(some with effects on) and import them in an mix template where I concentrate only in the mix/sound/balance. So if u work with many tracks, yes ! use a mix template but I make more music now for myself by implemented this workflow. Good Luck and rock on!! for all you logicers out there :)

Thompa

• 9 months later...
Well I DO have a mix template. I bounce out stems from my project and bring them into it. But I am admittedly old school.

Ashermusic - do you know of a video on how to set-up a mixing template in Logic - I have a template set-up for my orchestral/hybrid compositions - but I am wondering about how to set-up a template for mixing - creating those STEMS to send to a client.

I am wondering about how to set-up a template for mixing - creating those STEMS to send to a client.

I have to say, I personally don't use templates for mixing, so I never really understood why people seek them. I just mix, starting with individual tracks all going to the stereo out, and if I want to make a group (so in your case, for each stem you want to create) I select all the tracks I want to group and put them in a summing stack. How many stems do you need?