Escaping Varispeed

edurbrow
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

When you say turn Flex on, do you mean for tempo? It is already on the vocal track for pitch.

Yes, so that the audio regions will follow the new tempo.

Do you have to turn flex on for each audio track lane? Not just at the top, right?

Yes, the button at the top is just a Show/Hide Flex button, it doesn't turn anything on or off. Only the individual Flex buttons in track headers are Flex on/off buttons. I personally find that part of the interface quite confusing (and inconsistent with other areas such as Automation view for example), so I understand that it wouldn't be obvious.

And I guess you have to go into the Customize Control Bar and disable it in order to turn it off, right? It seems there is no Off in the Control Bar.

I'm not sure what you mean. There's nothing about Flex in the Custom bar.

I just wonder how it does it for each track. Is there a global algorithm or does it use whatever flex the track is set to? I had the voice on pitch but it did not go out of sync that I can tell.

Each track has its own algorithm such as Flex Pitch, Flex Time – slicing, Flex Time – monophonic, etc... All (including Flex Pitch) make the audio regions follow tempo.

To turn "it" off, I meant VariSpeed. I shouldn't have used a pronoun there.

So, in the case of a track being set to Flex Pitch, do you know which algorithm Logic uses there? I mean, is it important to turn Flex Pitch off and set it to another mode before changing tempo?

I'm surprised that Flex often defaults to slicing, when first turned on, even though I usually use Flex on a vocal or bass track. Perhaps that is presumptuous to think that way. Logic isn't at the clairvoyant AI stage yet.

Thanks a lot.

To turn "it" off, I meant VariSpeed. I shouldn't have used a pronoun there.

Oh well you don't have to customize the transport bar, just click the Varispeed button (it looks like a +/- sign).

So, in the case of a track being set to Flex Pitch, do you know which algorithm Logic uses there? I mean, is it important to turn Flex Pitch off and set it to another mode before changing tempo?

You have to experiment and see what results you get, but Flex Pitch has its own Time Stretching algo.

I'm surprised that Flex often defaults to slicing, when first turned on, even though I usually use Flex on a vocal or bass track. Perhaps that is presumptuous to think that way. Logic isn't at the clairvoyant AI stage yet.

Really? In my case it usually gets it right and doesn't choose slicing all that often... maybe it depends on how the instrument was played, like, maybe you've recorded quite percussive performances?

Really? In my case it usually gets it right and doesn't choose slicing all that often... maybe it depends on how the instrument was played, like, maybe you've recorded quite percussive performances?

Looking at another project today, everything was set to Monophonic. There may be a rhyme or reason, but I don't know what it is. Also, I'm using a little older version of Logic X, so maybe that has something to do with it.

To recapitulate:

If I want to change tempo expeditiously with the highest audio quality:

I should enable Flex on all audio tracks

choose the best flex mode for each track

make a note of the desired tempo via Varispeed

Disable Varispeed

Select all tempo events in the global tempo track and bump up or down to desired tempo

Correct?

I'm going to have to brush up on tempo modes, for example the difference between rhythmic and slicing.

Many, many thanks for your helpful advice, David.

• 6 months later...