Busses and stereo output don't work on monitoring

ct1
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hello

I am currently testing my gear for audio. And though going through a number of seemingly related posts and knowing a bit now about the software I can't get things to work. My mic is plugged into apollo twin's channel one, and I can see the input meter flash as expected both on Apollo'a hardware and on the audio track I want to record to. The only problem is that the sound is NOT transferred to the busses the track sends to, or even to Logic's output. The corresponding meters are dead. Software monitoring is disabled as expected when using apollo. That is probaby why I can hear a weak return if I put the fader all the way up on the console, and keep the level of the track I want to play to very very low in Logic. That is really not what I want. I want to monitor the recorded sound in Logic. And I can't figure out why the busses and output do not work with my live audio feed whereas they still work in the same time for any other track... Of course if If I record and then play what's recorded, the send busses and the output work again. I don't understand what happens.

Thank you for any (much needed) help.

OK. Real time self reply : it works when I select software monitoring (by Logic) + activate the I button. I know I'm risking latency doing so but I still can't understand why oh why a signal routed to a bus is not routed for a matter of monitoring, considering that I cannot even hear the sound from the recorded-to-be track itself... Do you guys have the top tips to solve this situation?

Thank you very much

Thnx for responding. If you mean that the send should be effective, well this is the case, and that wouldn't account for the sound not to even make it to the main output ! I guess this does not happen on PT, but there does not seem to be any workaround on Logic. Either monitor in Logic and manage the possible latency, or monitor through the apollo whose plugs I still suspect not to be that better than Logic's. There might be another solution though by using apollo's dry aux and getting the sound back in a Logic aux to which inserts could be applied.

I think I see what you mean, but "mixing" the monitoring in the interface makes it impossible to monitor sends and output to which the recorded track sends in Logic because of this "Software monitoring" box you have to tick or not tick. Tick the box = monitor in Logic = risk latency. Untick the box = Monitor in apollo= hear the sound out of the apollo that will be recorded dry on track but wave good bye to any send you may have for this track. You'll have them only on playback. Gonna try though with apollo's auxes that may not be interpreted by Logic as related to the recorded track. But I may be deluded.

So, here are the 4 situations I encounter with 4 snapshots. See how the input is valid in the audio track and not in the busses or the main output in 3 situations. Or do I miss some big thing...

1) Software monitoring with apollo1994103087_ScreenShot1.thumb.png.62d8c5ba8db6e46d05aee00979b3e386.png

2) Software monitoring with apollo and I button lit

365528461_ScreenShot2.thumb.png.f78020f63faad0fbfabbc1f9202588ae.png

3) Software monitoring with Logic

1467207411_ScreenShot3.thumb.png.229f35dd54aacee10ddebad2cebd05a8.png

4) Software monitoring with Logic and I button lit.

523472853_ScreenShot4.thumb.png.a3d194982fbae19639f765d9fba0dede.png

This is the only way it can work. I must only hope for minimum latency.

David, is it not what I do on examples #3 et #4 (as show the screenshots with the box ticked). But is this precisely not supposed to be done with an apollo for latency reasons. They keep repeating "Untick the Software monitoring" box in Logic's preferences. So I don't understand...

• Solution

You also have to uncheck "Input monitoring only for focused track...".

If you don't enable software monitoring, then the audio will be recorded in Logic but Logic won't allow you to monitor it through Logic at all. So it depends what your goal is. If you want to hear some live audio through Logic you need software monitoring to be on.