Midi assignments not recorded

mgoslett1

So I've set up my midi keyboard with a volume controller. I'm trying to achieve a softer attack on my strings to slowly warm them with volume as the notes develop. However, I've noticed that these volume changes aren't actually making it through to the recording, but rather act as a general volume for that particular track. What have I done wrong?

Null indicates that no assignment was made. It appears your volume controller is not actually sending MIDI data to Logic, but instead simply controlling the volume of the patch on your keyboard. Is that a volume pedal connected to your keyboard?

You have to somehow send a MIDI CC# to Logic in order to be able to assign it to something. It could be done with a fader or a knob... as for your volume pedal I'm not sure, you'd have to research if you can set up your keyboard to have it send MIDI CC on its MIDI output?

Null indicates that no assignment was made. It appears your volume controller is not actually sending MIDI data to Logic, but instead simply controlling the volume of the patch on your keyboard. Is that a volume pedal connected to your keyboard?

You have to somehow send a MIDI CC# to Logic in order to be able to assign it to something. It could be done with a fader or a knob... as for your volume pedal I'm not sure, you'd have to research if you can set up your keyboard to have it send MIDI CC on its MIDI output?

Ok so I have assigned a fader for volume (Input Message: Control Change Ch 1, 22, Lo7), but I have the same problem. It will control the volume of the channel strip rather than the desired recorded volume. I'm trying to control it like a guitarist would use a volume pedal for volume swells.

Then there's no recorded volume... or do you mean MIDI Volume data? If that's what you meant then program your fader to send MIDI CC#7 and just press Record in Logic...

But why not assign your fader to the volume of whatever software instrument you're controlling with your keyboard?

Yes, I think it's Midi volume data I'm talking about. Could you elaborate a little? I'm not quite with you.

Thank you