Loading and saving I/O bus presets

guavadude

I constantly struggle with opening sessions that use different I/O labeling on the buses.

Is there a way to save I/O label presets? How do I import a session with different I/O structure and

have it not default to using my current labels?

I know I can switch from User bus labels to generic bus labels but is there a better way of dealing with I/O that's more like ProTools.

Wondering if I should recreate my template using higher buses starting at 128 and leaving the lower buses open for importing.

Any tips are appreciated!

• 1 year later...

I never got an answer to this and am asking again.

I've recently trashed my prefs and now all of my I/O names are gone. How do I import the names for buses and inputs? I'm not seeing any way to save the I/O labels, only reset options. I'm also not seeing a way to import the names using the project import options.

There is no documented way. I have discovered no way that is un-documented. Basically the I/O labels are "system-wide" with no way for export/import.

I take screenshots of my labels and save them. I re-type them if something bad happens (hasn't happened).

Without a doubt this is the Achille's heel of Logic. I'd trade all the fancy graphics and new plugins for this to work. It's ridiculous that I can't save and load I/O labels. It would be nice if there was some sort of reassignment page like ProTools but I'm not even asking for that. Just the ability to load the labels again so that previous sessions wake up with the correct routing labels. F'ing bullshit!!!

If you have a copy of the old prefs to restore them, you could do that first l. Then use the screenshot method facej mentioned.

Good call. I just re-installed the old prefs and it's back. Took screenshots and backed up the file.

Screw it, I'll just use the old prefs file. I had a bunch of other very old prefs in the library I removed but I don't think the prefs file is what causes Logic to be jicky.

I think it happens when they screw with the software and break a bunch of stuff, or it's a conflict with some plugin that just barely passes the auth process.

Logic just seems very schizophrenic to me these days. Sometimes it's very stable and other times it crashes when I just delete a midi region.

Once upon a time the IO labels lived in a separate file which, while not exactly portable, allowed to change IO labels with a little effort between projects/computers. But then Apple outsmarted us and put the IO labels inside the preferences file. The lack of flexibility has been lamented many times and after twenty years there is still no sign of Apple taking care of this basic functionality.

• 11 months later...

Labeling I/O issue..

I recently migrated from an old mac mini to a new mac mini. Most things seem to be working fine, save the numerous reinstall/reactivate plugins.

I have tried twice to build out my new I/O labeling system as I am doing more mixing, instead of just recording or composing.

Each time, and after 3-4 hours of labeling...it looks fine, but, when I start a new project ALL of the labeling is lost.

I have read the posts here about checking Library: application OR preferences: plist, etc.

My issue is, I don't even see a logic file in the Preference folder?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

JB

In my old system, and now with my new system..I had been opening the I/O Labels option and settling in for a couple hours of organizing. While using my old mac mini set-up, whatever I changed in the session became global(good and bad as many have discussed here). Any template that I created used those existing I/O designations.

My new..more fully labeled and Bus/Aux routing did show as default the day I "created" or labeled it. Now, when I open a session that was created on my new mac(from a saved Template) the I/O is only the old "before" labels". Thnks..