Logic 10.4 Stepped Automation

Nogan
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

The release notes for the new update state: "Stepped automation values can now be directly written into Automation Lanes."

Does this mean that I can now instantaneously shut off my track volume parameter? If so how do I go about accomplishing this, I have been trying to figure this out for a little while now so I am curious if it is actually possible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

As explained here, have you tried:

• Add a series of automation points using the Pencil Tool
    You can use the Pencil Tool to draw multiple automation points on an automation curve.

• Click-drag or Option-click-drag the Pencil Tool across the automation curve.

The organization of automation points will depend upon the Pencil Tool setting in the Automation preferences. You have two options:

• Hold Option for Stepped Editing: In this mode, click-dragging with the Pencil Tool creates a series of automation points in a curved formation, and option-click-dragging creates a series of automation points in a stepped formation.

• Hold Option for Curved Editing: In this mode, click-dragging with the Pencil Tool creates a series of automation points in a stepped formation, and option-click-dragging creates a series of automation points in a stepped formation.

Does this mean that I can now instantaneously shut off my track volume parameter?

I'm not sure what you mean. A track always has a specific volume, so that parameter can't be "shut off", no. Or did you mean shut off the automation of that parameter? If that's the case, then yes, you can do that.... can you specify what you meant?

• 2 months later...
Does this mean that I can now instantaneously shut off my track volume parameter?

I'm not sure what you mean. A track always has a specific volume, so that parameter can't be "shut off", no. Or did you mean shut off the automation of that parameter? If that's the case, then yes, you can do that.... can you specify what you meant?

I am quite late to the game here, but I do see that my terminology was failing here.

I intended minimizing volume in this context rather than literally shutting off the volume parameter value or shutting off the automation of the volume parameter.

So I was curious about whether I could write in a stepped value to silence a track immediately using that track's primary volume parameter as opposed to writing in a line or curved function extremely close to two adjacent points to make the track essentially become quiet immediately.

My intended desire to do this lies in the ability to make clean cuts of audio and software instrument tails quickly for a workflow advantage, as I do realize that this effect can theoretically have the consequence of clicks and pops (instantaneous starts and stops with DC offset).

Thanks and Sorry for the confusion