Critical bug : Regions are not snapping to grid perfectly.

Enrize

I'm sorry to post it in the main section but this looks extremely critical to me so i want to discuss it first before reporting. This bug prevents me to use Logic Pro X.

So, in a nutshell : The regions appears to be off grid during resizing, slicing and trimming when certain BPM is set in project.

Before i'll provide steps to reproduce please see this short video :

Now please take a moment and try to reproduce this bug by doing following steps.

01. Download test WAV sample

test.wav.zip

02. Create a new project.

03. Set tempo of new project to 115 bpm

04. Set snap mode to absolute value ("Snap Regions to Absolute Value")

05. Create new audio track and insert "Test.wav" audio file to Bar #1 (The region should be a bit longer than 2 bars.) DO NOT IMPORT TEMPO.

06. Resize right edge of the region exactly to Bar #2.

Expected result : The region length should be precicly 1 0 0 0

Actual result : The length of the region appears to be 1 0 0 0. (with the dot in the end) regarding to the context help box. Which means its not precisely the one bar long. If you then duplicate it several times and zoom in to right edge you'l see its off the grid. To make things worse there is no way you can make it 1 bar long no matter what you do. Slicing, trimming with marque tool, using key commands etc...nothing works.

Additional information : From my experiments this bug happens only with specific BPM of the project.

BPM's NOT AFFECTED : 140,135,126,125,120,112,108,105,100,98,90,84,80,75,72,70,63,60

Ami doing something wrong? For me this is a showstopper.

Thanks.

Edited by Enrize

not seeing a problem here. your audio loop is 124.0033 BPM; but i've tried what you asked twice, and works fine each time (the sync is of course off with the metronome, ie 124.0033 vs playback at 115).

my setting has always been "snap regions to relative value'; i'd never thought to change that (just mentioning). but again, not seeing an issue. and am constantly working with loops here and not having a problem...

i rarely loop things, i usually copy throughout a track (so i can further cut things up, etc). meanwhile, if you bring your loop into a song and import the tempo, it's 124.003, was just pointing that out. if i bring your loop into logic, and import tempo, and loop the file (which is exactly 2 measures), it plays fine, stays in sync with the metronome.

if the region is slightly short, looping it won't work. what about option-dragging it thru the track? inelegant, but should work. and... what about switching to 'relative value'? again, my logic's been set like that since literally forever. does that make any difference? otherwise, probably time for the real experts to step in and help (i've used up all my brainpower for the day).

http://floydfisher.com/images/loop.png

top track is just an audio region option-dragged every 4 measures; the lower track is of course looped. both play perfectly fine (separately & together)...

120 BPM is not affected. Please read my first post entirely.

Try to do the same thing with let's say 116 BPM and then invert phase on the second track. And you'll see...

P.S. On relative snap its even worse, which makes sense since its never meant to work like this.

http://floydfisher.com/images/116.png

my first try at your request was without importing tempo. meanwhile, just tried this at 116, and... again, no issue. are you seeing this with all loops? are they from the same source? are you using a template? anyway, someone else might have some ideas, but am not seeing this as a bug, but an issue you're having; wish i had a better idea why. good luck sorting it out, hopefully someone else on this forum will have suggestions...

Try using the Multiple repeat function set to bar.

Or the quick repeat using a marquee selection instead.

I really recommend Multiple repeat when creating many bars.

Thanks for a workaround tip Eric.

However this is still a critical bug for. If i can't trust a grid that means core functionality of a DAW is just broken.

• 6 months later...

Did a bug report as well. If you record external MIDI, it's a very confusing bug to diagnose because you assume sync slipped.

But after removing the loops and max-zooming in, things were ever so slightly out. So as loops repeat, stuff goes more and more out-of-time. It's obviously a huge time waster and a bummer!

off-grid.png?raw=1

Those in the know probably already know this but I think this is an issue with Smart Snap specifically.

After testing with Division Snap, it seems way more accurate - although, when it snaps, it doesn't have the same confident snap as Smart Snap (if that makes sense).

But yes, no issues with CMD + T or other snap types.

• 1 month later...
I regularly see this issue so switched to cutting a region rather than dragging it. if I have to drag to shorten regions, I zoom right in to ensure it’s accurate. I suspect the issue is actually to do with the smart snap feature not snapping accurately in certain circumstances but others might know more.

I downloaded the test file, let Logic change the tempo to 124.0033, looped it and it plays well with the metronome. When I zoom it to a microscope level (which is pretty useless, but...), I can see that it's not 100% on the grid, even though Logic adjusted to the file, but let's face it: do we make music with our eyes or with our ears? ;)

This, to me, is more of a visual bug, since I can play the file properly when I loop it, either at 124.0033 or any other tempo. It will not sound as a loop if it's not at 124.0033, of course, but if I go like 20 bars to the right, it still plays the same way. I see no issue here, at least not something that would affect my music. It's more of a graphical issue that you can only see if you're picky enough to zoom in 10000000 times :P