Logic Pro X 10.4 Ignores & DELETES My Autosaves on Open

Lez Ismore

I have found several topics related to Logic's Autosave, but none adressing my issue (which I am worried might be new)

The problem I didn't use to have in earlier Logic versions is that although my Autosave folder (R-Click MyProject -> Show Package Contents -> Alternative/000/Autosave/) DO CONTAIN the 4 usual items to allow an Autosave launch, Logic 10.4 will not give me the expected option to open the Autosaved version, but rather just launch the old save + delete all the 4 items in the Autosave folder.

My Attempts:

Regular Open: (After making sure the Autosaves DO EXIST + backup elsewhere in fear of yet another fail)

Clicking project -> Ignores & deletes existing Autosave + Opens old, undesired save, makes me cry.

"Load A Backup" Open: (After making sure the Autosaves DO EXIST + backup elsewhere in fear of yet another fail)

I have tried the "Load A Backup" option u get in finder by 1. selecting project 2. Clicking Spacebar --> Same result of opening old while ignoring+deleting the 4 items in the Autosave folder (which in all cases are created at a later date than the saved version)

Revert: In these cases, the "Revert" from within Logic, only gives me the option to open the old file that's already open :) (at this point I know the AUTOSAVE is already deleted so not a big surprise)

Can't remember having had any issues with the Autosave function in previous Logic releases, always been a great and helpful lifesaver to me, not presenting the existing Autosave option is NOT LOGIC to me, makes me weep.

Other recent changes on my side:

- I OS upgraded from Yosemite to High Sierra 10.13.2 at the same time that I got started with LOGIC 10.4

- Also replaced my M-Audio Soundcard with a Focusrite 6i6

I have several Autosaved projects that I now have backed up externally in hope of a solution.

I believe there may be some confusion here related to backups vs autosaves....

A backup is created each time you press save - up to the max number specified in preferences. You load one of these backups by using the revert option in the file menu.

the autosave feature is related to an abnormal termination of Logic due to an unforeseen condition/event. So that if you are working and have not saved with logic terminating prematurely - you can recover from where you left off.

the autosave folder always has the current state of where you are since the last backup. If you exit normally - these files are removed - when logic restarts - those files don't exist and you are prompted to open a normally saved project ( or otherwise based on preferences)....

If you abnormally exist ( try force quitting logic) - those file are not removed and when logic restarts it finds them - for which then it will prompt you for which you want to start from - ( a normal saved project or the autosave - snapshot of where I was when the crash happened).

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not dealing with backups.

Due to several reasons I sadly have plenty of projects with actual Autosave files existing (yes, not proper program exits :( the files are there and I can see them until I open the project and they of course are deleted...which is why I have made external copies of the Autosaved projects I didn't ruin by trying to open.

My Autosaves are dated later than the last save, and they are what I want, unfortunately LOGIC 10.4 for some reason will not open most of them (unfortunately I can't paste manually backed-up Autosave-files into the just emptied Autosave folder after a project is opened (had a tiny hope this would let me find the Autosave under File-Revert to, but believe this option is just for backups)

When I save normally and exit Logic the Autosave folder is of course empty, which is fine as I have the last work.

My problem is Logic 10.4 not giving me the expected option to open the existing Autosaves that are there and ready to be opened (R-Click Project -> Show Package Contents -> Alternative/000/Autosave/ contains the 3 AS files + a folder)

I apologize for having slipped away, sometimes I slip, saw your offer and thanked you for it within before the weekend, but couldn't figure out how to attach files in this message system (I'm very new here), then I slipped, and now it's now.

Still can't find it today, is it possible to send directly between users...?

Thank u again for the offer and good vibrations to u :)

Thanks again, here's the link https://we.tl/DzSvtekJzD

I don't know how close to "completion" this project is should it be possible to open, so please excuse potential bad sound combinations and unsuccessful experiments.

I can only open it the way the template I used look (with 2 yellow blocks on the drummer track), but see the autosave data is from 2 days later. Hope u manage to open with some content as it will give me some hope for the rest of projects.

Thanks again and all the best Volovicg

Thanks for trying, I appreciate your effort and all you have done.

Not ready to part with my projects, so if anyone has experienced the same, or knows why logic ignores my Autosaves, please let me know.

Ps. The Project link above will only be active a few more days (think it said a week in total), but I can upload a new one should you be keen to try opening it. Just shout!

All good things to all good people :)

Awesome, that is Amazing news :) Was worried I had lost all chance of contact with about 40 projects :)

Two Questions:

Never had Logic 10.3.2 (my old M-Audio soundcard did not allow me to upgrade OS so I believe I remained on 10.2.4 on Yosemithe until I got my Focusrite 6i6 and got my 10.4)

Q1: Is there a place to retrieve older versions, a Logic archive or something? In Google I there seems to be cracked results for Logic 10.3.2, but a bit hesitant about using those...

Q2: Are you good people running multiple Logic versions simultaneously on your systems?

Thanks Fuzzfilth and Thank you Volovicg :) Amazing people and amazing Forum :)

Just downloaded and unzipped your fixed version, works great :) I am grateful :)

HILTON: If it's a bounced mp3 you can just attach to a regular email, if you want to ship bigger things (project file) use the FREE service Volovicg presented above, http://www.wetransfer.com, at one point there is an "email" or "Link" choice to be made, I chose "Link" with success (just paste the link in the email to your niece), good luck!

I have not had time to go through all the permutations but I have confirmed this is an issue. If you are working in 10.2.4 and and autosave is created.... It will open back up and present the (saved or autosaved) options. However, if you open the file in 10.4.1 you are not presented with the autosave option. If anyone can confirm 10.4.1 will not open previous logic projects with an autosav - we can move to the bugs section.

• 7 months later...

Just downloaded the newest LOGIC Pro (10.4.2), problem still remains. LOGIC ignores and empties my ALTERNATIVES/000/Autosave folder on OPEN. Hoped this would be fixed.

Can't find a working download of the LOGIC 10.3.2 that u managed to open my files in.

Found this, but doesn't work

http://allmacworld.com/apple-logic-pro-x-10-3-2-mac-free-download/

Tells me there's an error when I try opening + tells me I should delete it.

Quite disappointed that LOGIC doesn't always look in this folder first, as when they don't like now, trying to open my autosaved files = deleting all my work. I like logic, but this problem alone may be pushing me to stop recommending it, forget all my lost work and find a new more trustworthy program. But Hoping for a fix or solution from one of u guys.

My Best to all and your surroundings :)

Lez