How To Solo I/O Of Outboard Gear (Only)

DRUMETRICS

• 2 weeks later...
I use that same setup and usually only monitor through Logic (all console inputs set to mute). Perhaps try muting all the inputs and sends in the console app. That should take the Apollo out of the equation, and then it's just an issue of managing ins and outs in Logic.

I use that same setup and usually only monitor through Logic (all console inputs set to mute). Perhaps try muting all the inputs and sends in the console app. That should take the Apollo out of the equation, and then it's just an issue of managing ins and outs in Logic.

Tried that and still hear main track as oppose to the effects track...................have you done this on your set up yet?

Hmm... I haven't messed with that a bunch, but I think the solution is in the cue outputs. If you open the console app do you have line 3/4 set to line 3/4 as the source? If you're using the ADAT in for your outboard gear, then that might be a different story... My outboard gear is in storage at the moment, so I don't have a way to test this currently.

Hope that helps!

i Tried that and you can still hear the other track. I was hoping to hear just the effected track......if thats in even possible.

What happens when you solo that track? The one that has the i/o plug-in inserted.

For some reason it just solos the track I'm trying to effect. And I can barely hear the effected I/O track while playback. I tried dabbling with the Apollo Twin console interface and make sure all ins and outs are properly set up. Still ain't got any luck!!!!

(David) what soundcard set up do you use?

What's the outboard gear? Are you sure its mix is set to 100% wet? What kind of effect?

I use a Metric Halo ULN2.

Outboard gear is a Space Expander Spring Reverb & a Unfairchild compressor. Not sure what 100% wet means!!

Sorry I'm a more analog nerd trying to learn the DAW world.

Got it- indeed "mix" is the terminology I'm familiar with. So I tried YouTube videos on I/O and Bus'ing in conclusion I think my trouble shooting is with the UA Apollo twin software "Console".

Another option I was leaning towards was to add my Line Out to a 3way switch speaker Control so I can switch to line out only with out hearing the Monitor side.

I had the same issue (give or take). Hopefully this can help other Logic users in the future, but here's what solved it for me:

click on "cue outputs" on the right hand lower side of the console app

make sure "line 3/4" is selected for the line 3/4 source and NOT mix

To physically route the audio to your outboard gear connect a cable from the Line 3/4 out in the back of the apollo twin into whatever gear you're using, and then out of that gear back into the input you're using on the apollo.

To send the signal inside Logic, you can either create a new bus that will go to line 3/4, or you can set the output of your track from "stereo output" to Line 3/4. Mine is labeled output 3-4 (line 3/4)

Create a new audio track (mono or stereo, depending) and set the input to whatever input you're using.

This will record a fully wet signal onto a new audio track that you can then mix with the dry track

Hope that solves it!

I had the same issue (give or take). Hopefully this can help other Logic users in the future, but here's what solved it for me:

click on "cue outputs" on the right hand lower side of the console app

make sure "line 3/4" is selected for the line 3/4 source and NOT mix

To physically route the audio to your outboard gear connect a cable from the Line 3/4 out in the back of the apollo twin into whatever gear you're using, and then out of that gear back into the input you're using on the apollo.

To send the signal inside Logic, you can either create a new bus that will go to line 3/4, or you can set the output of your track from "stereo output" to Line 3/4. Mine is labeled output 3-4 (line 3/4)

Create a new audio track (mono or stereo, depending) and set the input to whatever input you're using.

This will record a fully wet signal onto a new audio track that you can then mix with the dry track

Hope that solves it!

Appreciate the info: I'm not currently at my work station But I have one question? I think I did this already- I could be wrong............

Will this enable me to hear just the Wet signal when i hit play through Logic so I can tweak live?

Yep! If you change the output of the track to line 3/4 then you should not hear any of the dry sound coming from Logic.

If you do the bus routing option instead, make sure the bus is set to "pre fader" on the dry track. Turn the bus send up to zero, and then slide the output fader for the track all the way down to nothing. Either option should allow you to hear only the wet signal.

Yep! If you change the output of the track to line 3/4 then you should not hear any of the dry sound coming from Logic.

If you do the bus routing option instead, make sure the bus is set to "pre fader" on the dry track. Turn the bus send up to zero, and then slide the output fader for the track all the way down to nothing. Either option should allow you to hear only the wet signal.

THANK YOU SO MUCH...........................Hecksome & David.

You guys rock..............Finally got it to work.

CHEEEEEEERS

If I want to hear the reverb ring out and decay, I usually just mute the source after the attack of the sound, Mute the snare right after it hits in solo. Or mute a vocal after a word. Same with guitars to hear the delays decay in isolation. But hecksome has the right answer if that's what you need to hear. Really any output or bus that is not the stereo bus should work. The just put it back in the stereo bus when you're done.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Can I bump this? I'm struggling with the same problem!

I have a RME Fireface 800 interface and an FMR PBC-6A compressor.

I'm trying to run a mono signal from an audio track through my FMR and print the result on a new mono track. But I keep hearing the dry and the wet signal together. The result in solo sounds very different from what I hear when I try to dial in the comp settings, so now I kind of have to guess what I'm going to record. What happens now is that the wet mono signal is added to the left side of the dry stereo mix. Every mono output with an odd number is added to L, every even number added to R. I've tried all of the above: toyed around with different outputs, buses, and with level settings in Totalmix, but still without success.

I've tried a different interface, a Motu 828 mkII. There was no stereo/mono LR adding problem, but still the wet and dry signals were mixed. So I guess it's an internal Logic routing thing.

Could someone help me out?

Cheers,

Joep

I have a RME Fireface 800 interface and an FMR PBC-6A compressor.

I'm trying to run a mono signal from an audio track through my FMR and print the result on a new mono track. But I keep hearing the dry and the wet signal together.

How is the compressor connected?

Did you try the I/O plugin?

Yes, I've tried the I/O plugin to send the signal to output 3 of my FF800, through my compressor, back into input 1. I've tried to use the I/O on the source track, recording from there onto a new audio track. I've also tried sending it to a bus and put the plugin on there, and using the bus as an input on a new audio track. But no luck yet...

Yes, I get a signal coming back in. The compressor shows signal and the compression is clearly audible. I use two TRS-XLR cables going in and out. I tried the same with a mono signal through my other compressor, an FMR RNC with TS-TS cables going in and out. Same result.

The problem is that I can't monitor a 100% wet signal that I'm about to record onto a new track, because I always hear the dry signal mixed with the wet signal. And so my compressor settings are always a guess.

I think it has something to do with an internal routing thing in either Logic or Totalmix, or both working together?

Thanks for the help!

The problem is that I can't monitor a 100% wet signal that I'm about to record onto a new track, because I always hear the dry signal mixed with the wet signal. And so my compressor settings are always a guess.

I think it has something to do with an internal routing thing in either Logic or Totalmix, or both working together?

The moment you engage the I/O plugin, you should hear the end result of the external hardware.

If you're still hear the original, that means its coming thru Totalmix still.

Ok I found it!

So I'm sending the dry mono signal from output 3 on my FF800, through my compressor, back into input 1 of my FF800. On the source track, in the I/O plugin I select output 3 and input 1.

In Totalmix, in the matrix window, I turn off channels 1-2 and 3-4 between the hardware outputs and the software playback. Then in the mixer window I flip the stereo button to mono (bottom right).

Then if you wanna listen to your recording you have to turn off the I/O plugin, turn on channels 1-2 in Totalmix again (and flip the button back to stereo if needed).

That's how the monitored signal before recording and the recorded result will be identical.

It feels like kind of an unnecessary hassle having to do all these actions and clicks in different windows for such a simple result. I'll see if I can make presets. But I'm happy it works! Been struggling for days.

Thanks for your response triplets!

The internet says no. It's just part of the RME driver. But it was about time I stopped ignoring and get into Totalmix, as it can probably be very handy in other situations. As someone said on a forum: "its complexity is a byproduct of its flexibility".