Score Editor: Illogical Triplet Tie behaviour

Music Spirit
Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

The screenshot below has two illustrations of attempts to make a note tied to the first beat of a 3 note triplet.

1 - When I lengthen the Gb in bar 40 it increases combining with the triplet on beat 4 of that bar ( see Top and 2nd from Top Screenshots) - this is the result I want

2 - When I lengthen the Ab on first beat in bar 45 to combine with the triplet on the next beat it increases until it causes the Bb to bunch up under the Db ( 3rd from Top and Bottom Screenshot)

Can anyone explain this anomaly? I have tried experimenting with 'allow double value' etc but none of those options sort it. 431629115_ScreenShot2018-02-24at01_13_24.thumb.png.ef6ae6128c8041cb8dfd277564e1bcea.png

I'm sure Greg will have an elegant answer... but in the mean time, you might try nudging the Bb forward or back a few ticks as see if that remedies the situation.

darned

Thanks Dan for your suggestion - though I would have thought that since the notes are quantised ( as per the screenshots of the Piano Roll) that it wasnt the placement of the notes that was the problem

@Eric and @volovicg - your suggestions regarding the rest insertion are spot on and I have solved it by inserting that quaver rest... though I have to admit I dont understand the logic ( small L :) ) behind it ... it definitely works.

Also exploring Greg's suggestion of the Nudge Value I tried resetting the Nudge Region/Event length to a very fine value in the Transport Bar and even with the note quantised to one division and then extending it by small exact increments it still bunches up Bb and Db ( as per my original screenshot).

Inserting a user rest is the only thing that sorts it out as you have both suggested.

Though I am still curious as to why I did not need to do this in the first example ( bar 40 in the first 2 screenshots)

PS Big thanks to all for contributions to this thread!