Bouncing mono track produces stereo!

JCcares

This may be a simple question so sorry! When I try to bounce a mono vocal track after editing, the new audio track looks like a stereo track with 2 parallel wave forms running.Not sure why & not sure if this makes a difference.Anyway to deal with this?

Bouncing will always produce a stereo file, even with a mono file.

You can use bounce in place and then grab the file from Audio Folder.

Or you can Export the track as audio file.

Thanks for that quick response.Is it ok to have it as stereo file? Does it make a difference?

You can actually bounce a mono file... it all depends on the format of the audio signal you're bouncing, which could be different from the input format of the channel strip. For example a channel strip that has a mono input but a stereo plug-in will yield a stereo file if you bounce after plug-in... or if you bounce after the pan knob if the track has a stereo output...

For example if you have a mono track, only mono plug-ins, and bounce in place without including volume/pan automation, you will get a mono file.

Another example is if you click the "Bnce" button at the bottom of a mono output channel strip: you will get a mono file.

• 2 weeks later...
You can actually bounce a mono file... it all depends on the format of the audio signal you're bouncing, which could be different from the input format of the channel strip. For example a channel strip that has a mono input but a stereo plug-in will yield a stereo file if you bounce after plug-in... or if you bounce after the pan knob if the track has a stereo output...

For example if you have a mono track, only mono plug-ins, and bounce in place without including volume/pan automation, you will get a mono file.

Another example is if you click the "Bnce" button at the bottom of a mono output channel strip: you will get a mono file.

Thanks for the reply & sorry for the delay in following up.I am actually trying to bounce a mono comp vocal track. The output of it does have a stereo output which I do for every track as default ( If I put it on a mono output I can hear it on only one speaker.).You mentioned "bounce after the pan knob if the track has a stereo output... ".Is it possible to bounce before pan knob? I have never heard of that.How is it possible to "bounce in place without including volume/pan automation," as you mentioned.Also this video mentions how to bounce with the BNCE button.

By constantly bouncing the track to get it into mono will there be a quality loss?

Thanks for your patience in answering. :)

How is it possible to "bounce in place without including volume/pan automation," as you mentioned.

Do a bounce region in place (control B) or track if you have lots of regions (command control B)

Then uncheck include automation and turn Normalization off.

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 10.04.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 10.08.52 PM.png

Wow ! Eye opener ! Thanks.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I had never even thought about the ch eq being stereo or mono because, to get the the ch eq, I just click in the eq box which opens the eq window. I have never instantiated the eq via menu (and seen the choice of mono/stereo).

I don't remember the history of what I was doing with that particular track but at that moment it was mono and I ended up with a stereo bounce. - until I figured out the ch eq was set to stereo. And I don't know how it got that way :)

That's why I erroneously thought it defaulted to stereo.

Thank You!