Velocity Changes In Piano Roll Not Working...

kdubb1234

Hello, I’m attempting to edit midi data within the Piano Roll and the notes aren’t responding to any velocity changes that I make. I’m also noticing that when I click on any of the midi data in the editor that they don’t produce a sound either. When clicking on a key on the virtual keyboard however that is producing a sound as expected. I think this might be tied in to with why I can’t adjust the velocity of the midi data either? Midi In and Midi Out are both engaged. Changing the velocity of a note with the Velocity Tool also appears to be functioning properly (the color changes and the velocity amounts are adjusting) but there is no audible difference in the velocity of the sound. I've tried changing patches/plugins to make sure the sound source itself was velocity sensitive and the results are the same – the notes all sound with the same velocity as was recorded with.

I saw another posting online that mentioned making sure that velocity was not set to “fixed” in the Region Inspector but set it to “100%” instead. I’m not seeing the same configuration in the newest version of Logic and not seeing anything labeled as "fixed".

One other thing that I noticed: if I marqueé-select the midi notes in the editor window that they then produce a sound like expected – but not all of them, only some of them. Clicking on them no, but marqueé-selecting some of them, yes. I also switched to the Step Editor and tried selecting midi notes in that mode. Similar results - some sounded and some didn't. Any help would be appreciated.

You describe something contradictory. In your first paragraph, you mention not having sound from notes you select and that you could not see the difference with the velocity edits you made. How could one expect hearing the velocity difference of notes that could not be heared in the first place?

Anyhow, does those silent notes been muted?

Among other things, there are many other MIDI region parameters that could produce what you describe, such as Mute, Velocity, Dynamics, Gate Time...

Changing the velocity of a note with the Velocity Tool also appears to be functioning properly (the color changes and the velocity amounts are adjusting) but there is no audible difference in the velocity of the sound. I've tried changing patches/plugins to make sure the sound source itself was velocity sensitive and the results are the same – the notes all sound with the same velocity as was recorded with.

Which patch/instrument are you using exactly? Can you reproduce this issue in a new empty project? If yes, please attach the project here.

Hello, thanks for the responses everyone. A friend mentioned trying to use a Logic-native patch to see if the problem still existed. When using one of the Logic's own sounds (in this case the Classic Electric Piano patch), everything works as expected. I can click on the midi data that was recorded and it generates a sound so that I can hear as I edit the note. I can use the Velocity tool and the velocity adjusts. And David, to your question, I was using several 3rd-party plugins. One was Substance by Output through their Kontakt Player and the other was using F Grand 278 by MOTU through their MachFive3 Sampler. And yes, the issue still persists in a new, empty project. I'm not sure how to attach that file though. Several friends have mentioned experiencing similar issues when trying to use 3rd-party plugins with Logic. Erik, I have checked the Region Inspector. And the settings look like the screen capture you provided (expect Mute is not engaged). I am not seeing anything related to the Velocity parameter that allows it to be set to "fixed". I do see this option available however with the Dynamics parameter but it is not set to "fixed". It is set to 100%.

I can hit play and what was recorded plays/sounds as was recorded. The issue is when trying to edit the data. When I click on recorded notes in the Piano Roll Editor I should hear those notes sound and they aren't sounding. I should be able to adjust their velocities and Logic is not allowing me to do that. But with this latest test, the issues appear to be occurring with 3rd-party plugin sources. I also work with Digital Performer and I'm not witnessing these issues in that DAW.

1630192662_InspectorPianoRollSettings.thumb.png.72ade3c12207c2200d0b7076a66cb518.png

I can hit play and what was recorded plays/sounds as was recorded.

As was originaly recorded only or as was recorded and edited?

The issue is when trying to edit the data. When I click on recorded notes in the Piano Roll Editor I should hear those notes sound and they aren't sounding.
Are those silent note's MIDI channel correspond to the Kontakt instrument's MIDI channel?

In those problematic tracks' inspectors, what is the MIDI channel set to?

I should be able to adjust their velocities and Logic is not allowing me to do that. But with this latest test, the issues appear to be occurring with 3rd-party plugin sources.
Could you describe what happens visually that make you conclude "Logic is not allowing me to do that".

I also work with Digital Performer and I'm not witnessing these issues in that DAW.
Different DAW, different features, different workflow, different "lots-of-things", etc...

BTW, in your Pianoroll, why your MIDI In button is enabled?

When using one of the Logic's own sounds (in this case the Classic Electric Piano patch), everything works as expected. I can click on the midi data that was recorded and it generates a sound so that I can hear as I edit the note. I can use the Velocity tool and the velocity adjusts. And David, to your question, I was using several 3rd-party plugins.

It really sounds like you're using patches that are not velocity sensitive.

it doesn't seem as if a grand piano plugin would not be velocity sensitive. i highly doubt that a substance patch wouldn't be either, though there are velocity settings in its editor so it could be possible. does kontakt force fixed velocity of its own accord, regardless of the third party plugin settings? seems unlikely also.

if midi channel routing was the issue, why would the events sound during playback but not while editing?

Hi all, thanks again for the responses. David/Waterandwax, The F Grand 278 is definitely velocity sensitive. I'm online know with the makers of Substance to get some information on that because that may not be velocity sensitive and hopefully I can respond back with some insight on those. I just ran tests in Digital Performer – recreating the same scenario – and the F Grand 278 is working as expected. I can adjust velocities, I can click on notes in the Midi Editor (Piano Roll) and they sound so I can hear them as I edit them, etc. The process should work pretty much the same way in Logic. So there's either a bug in Logic with regards to 3rd-party plugins or I am doing something seriously wrong. I've even gone back to review tutorials that illustrate how the Piano Roll works in Logic but it's just not working with these plugins. Is there something about 3rd-party settings having to be "in sync" with Logic settings? Does that make sense to anyone? I'll have to do some more research on that.

Atlas/Waterandwax, the Midi Routing appears to be correct. Output gives you a dropdown where you can set the midi channel. This has to coincide with the setting on the Logic track. I've done that. And yeah Waterandwax, things are sounding on playback without any issues which seems to confirm that midi is set properly.

Altas, when you adjust the velocities in Logic you get visual confirmation as the color of the note changes – moving into the red spectrum as you increase velocity and into the blue spectrum as you decrease velocity. I get that visual confirmation and I can see the velocity changing in the velocity slider as well. And the Midi In button is enabled but that wouldn't cause the issues that I'm experiencing from the tutorials I've been reviewing. I've run this also with Midi In not engaged as well with the same issues occurring.

The process should work pretty much the same way in Logic.

Yes, it should.

So there's either a bug in Logic with regards to 3rd-party plugins or I am doing something seriously wrong.

There is no known bug and I can successfully trigger notes by clicking them in the Piano Roll, and I can hear the different velocities as expected here with 3rd party plug-ins.

Is there something about 3rd-party settings having to be "in sync" with Logic settings?

No.

Does that make sense to anyone?

So far, no.

Can you try:

1) To replicate this behavior in a new empty project, one soft inst track, one single 3rd party instrument?

2) To replicate this behavior with a new user you create on your Mac?

3) If you play a MIDI controller can you hear the different velocities?

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I forgot to update the progress of this post. I did try creating a new, empty session and everything worked as expected when doing so – even with the 3rd party plug-ins. I went back to the original project and was also working. Not sure why after so unfortunately I can't impart anything of benefit here to help anyone who may have also run across this issue. I appreciate all the help in trying to solve this issue though. Thanks.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I am running Logic 10.74 under Monterey 12.6.1 on an M1 Pro machine and I have similar issues intermittently, plus a few others on some projects.  Sometimes the velocity slider works, sometimes it doesn't (resulting in no color change at all).  And sometimes clicking on a note produces a sound, sometimes it doesn't. I have resorted to changing the velocity with automation instead and just hitting play to hear the notes. 

In addition,  I am also experiencing other issues related to the editor window:

1. Selecting tracks does not always change the editor to that track. (This is not just for the piano roll but audio track  editors as well.)
  2. I can no longer select multiple midi regions on different tracks to see the notes together in the same editor window. 
  3. If the track that contains the region that I am editing is not selected, clicking outside of a note in the piano roll editor changes the editor window to that of the one that is selected.  

When I create a brand new project it has none of these issues, but they still exist in other projects, leading me to suspect projects can get corrupted.

I save projects as folders and tend to save multiple versions of the same song in the same project folder.   Perhaps this workflow is part of the issue?  But, If I save new versions of a project to their own respective folders, this can throw off the balance of the mix. Suddenly, some drums sounds are quite loud.  This also results in sound files being duplicated unnecessarily and virtual instrument patches getting downloaded again. 

Logic has become sort of a mess for me. It is getting hard to stay productive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

I suspect my issue with the velocity not working and other problems I mentioned above stem from having opened the project alongside another and thus corrupting the project.  I have read elsewhere on this forum that that is a big no-no. I had no idea.   

On 12/23/2018 at 5:59 PM, kdubb1234 said:

I did try creating a new, empty session and everything worked as expected when doing so – even with the 3rd party plug-ins. I went back to the original project and was also working

I tried the same and the new one worked fine but the original was still messed up.  Unfortunately, importing from the original to a new project did not go well. See: