Upgrade to High Sierra?

siderealxxx

Hi, I have a Late 2012 27" iMac running El Cap and Logic 10.3.3 perfectly nicely (pro studio).

I'd like to take advantage of the new stuff in Logic 10.4 and would have to upgrade to High Sierra.

I'm wondering whether my iMac is up to the task of High Sierra or if it might have seen it's last upgrade.

I've done some searches and not finding anything useful (except the bug with the Alias ~/Music/Audio Music Apps

Any thoughts? Obviously I will have Time Machine updates of everything.

Thanks in advance -Sidx

Hi, I have a Late 2012 27" iMac running El Cap and Logic 10.3.3 perfectly nicely (pro studio).

I'd like to take advantage of the new stuff in Logic 10.4 and would have to upgrade to High Sierra.

I'm wondering whether my iMac is up to the task of High Sierra or if it might have seen it's last upgrade.

I've done some searches and not finding anything useful (except the bug with the Alias ~/Music/Audio Music Apps

Any thoughts? Obviously I will have Time Machine updates of everything.

Thanks in advance -Sidx

Hi Sidx, you have just said yourself that Logic 10.3.3 with El Capitan is running perfectly nicely! this is priceless, I would just stick with it if all is stable.

what happens when Logic 10.5 is released, with more new stuff, which may require Ultra High Sierra? or whatever the next OS is, its just a constant chase!

It's different for many people. Some report no issues, some report disasters. Personally, I won't touch HS with a bargepole. I had to drag myself, sputtering and muttering to go from El Cap to Sierra, which, btw, is downloadable. A few people here posted links to Sierra, which runs 10.4 just fine on my computer. It did slow my computer down noticeably, but not significantly.

Like any other person who replies, my experience is mine alone. But I've found High Sierra to be rock solid.

I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro. I did the upgrade to Sierra first to try and stave off going all the way to HS. But Sierra was a total disaster on my Macbook. Logic couldn't run a single virtual instrument without popping, clicking, and system overloading. It was like Sierra was bleeding CPU cycles.

But HS is banging! And I'm loving 10.4.1 :)

Just to add my 2 cents…..

I have the same Late 2012 iMac (except 21.5” here) and had been on El Capt. for a long, long time.

But, when 10.4.0 came out I really wanted to try the new Horns & Strings.

I Backed up and Got Sierra installed on an External drive and it seemed just fine, so I just went for it on the main drive.

All is still just fine and glad I did it.

Do it.

PS, at least DL the "Sierra Installer" before it really disappears, just quit the DL before it installs and do it when you're ready.

My experience with High Sierra and Logic 10.4.1 was painful as it seems that High Sierra has undergone changes on the USB SW side as compared with El Cap causing my synth that was connected to one of the USB ports to malfunction. It took me 5 hours of investigating and trouble-shooting (yeah, it was not pleasant) but I finally had the issue fixed by using a different USB port for my synth. Everything has been stable since.

Would I do it again?

Yes!

The new drummers alone are worth it for me. I find the drummer plugin inspirational and any enhancement is good news to me.

I would say take a good look on what is new in the new version. If it appeals a lot to you then consider if you are under a critical time with a project currently or not. If you are I would not recommend it. If you are not then go for it. It should definitely be a smooth transition for most people but indeed you may be jeopardising some hours (?) of troubleshooting.

Exactly the reason not to rush into the latest OS X version. Sierra works fine and runs LPX 10.4.1. Unless you specifically need some new features in HS or any other latest and “greatest” release, you’re better off running the version that already has all the issues flushed out. Frankly I’d be older then Sierra but I upgraded for better scripter support. No reason so far to go beyond Sierra for me.

I also want to say on a more general note, as a former software engineer for many years I want to say that “new” does not always mean better and definitely does not always mean more reliable. Software makers are constantly adding new features which actually destabilizes software every time they do, until eventually they get it more stable. Apple in particular loves to add new innovations with stuff like the touch bar, versioned filesystem, etc and these are all cool but usually involve changing many things under the covers that at first will destabilize it all. Then the question will remain as to whether they will manage to stabilize it adequately in a timely manner. They have shown in the past to sometimes do so and sometimes not. My own impression is that generally just about the time they get the os stable, it’s time for their yearly new version with new innovations and destabilization all over again. Unless you specifically need features only available in HS, you will generally have a more stable experience using Sierra or even older. I use Sierra because it has features I want. It seems to work fine