LXP & mojave (mac os 10.14)

fisherking

just mentioning...

am sure i'll install the public beta for 10.14 when it arrives later this month, and will (of course) report here about it (and i'm sure i won't be the only insane I MEAN brave one doing this). seems a perfect time, since LXP is running incredibly well on the 10.13.6 beta :mrgreen: and i have some mixes coming up 8-)

i enjoy slogging thru these things, finding fixes, or workarounds (to be fair, i don't always enjoy it). but i feel compelled to do this, and look forward to discussion. this forum IS my family :wink:

Edited by fisherking

Dark Mode CANNOT come soon enough... can't hardly wait for 10.14!

agreed. for a long time, i ran various hacks on the os to get this (some of them were really great), and there was a menubar app that made a dark menubar (the developer retired it when apple finally gave us that).

what i look forward to most of all is what i always look for; what happens under the hood. & am sure the first beta will be... imperfect, but should be an interesting ride; have been running os betas since the public beta option first appeared. am sure there will be stories to tell!

• 3 weeks later...
... and so far, so good. all my plugins work. i can work, edit, etc... it's only night one, so... will report in if i encounter any weird stuff, issues. but a good start (certainly, overall, the best 'first public beta' experience i've had with the mac!)

Thanks for testing! Any improvements at all? Or is everything just the same? Or is it too soon to tell?

working on a remix, MOSTLY good; so far, one plugin (newsonicarts nuance, my go-to sampler), is... buggy. when i go to move a knob, the cursor vanishes, and the knobs move in giant steps... takes a bit to get them under control. will explore that more (after a reboot!) and report to the developer.

everything else SEEMS ok. will only update my comments if i find any other issues. but just finished my remix!

dark mode isn't quite right (or i'm not yet used to it); finder windows feel... claustrophobic to me, i had to bump up font size (reading white on black), and the apps (ie mail) look more 'color-inverted' than they should.

stacks is awesome but... i never keep more than 1-5 items on my desktop, so i don't need it (but it's very cool). so far, almost everything works, or mostly works. no major crises (knock on aluminum...)

dark mode isn't quite right (or i'm not yet used to it); finder windows feel... claustrophobic to me, i had to bump up font size (reading white on black), and the apps (ie mail) look more 'color-inverted' than they should.

That is disappointing. Dark mode is the feature I am most excited about because when I look at my screens for long lengths of time, my vision gets blurry.

are you using nightshit? the best thing ever. meanwhile,i may just need time to get used to dark mode... maybe.

and now, the bad news (and please remember, these are my singular observations)...

am working on a project with 15 vocal tracks (imported from GB), and maybe 12 tracks of 3rd-party synths etc... nothing much compared to some of my work, and... getting some glitchy moments. stuttering synths, a sudden stop or 2. plus some random odd moments. anyway, will continue to report in...

a mix today, and so far... none of the problems i had the other day with a different project. so...not sure yet if all is well, or it's random, or... related to the fact that that project came from a GB file. so the most important news for now: am working.

EDIT: the nuance developer says it's always been like that (no cursor, because of the 'incremental/relative' knob movement; guess i never noticed. will report back with my next project, but really.... looking pretty good...

I talked to Apogee and they said that my Element 24 software and driver probably will not work right with the beta, so I am out.

"probably not"? what does that mean? have they actually tested it? just curious, because all of my 3rd-party plugins work. and what does that mean for the future? will they support mojave when it's official?

you can always clone your mac (i use carbon copy cloner) to another drive, then install the beta, and try everything (don't do any real work, unless you back that up right away). this way, if there are any problems, you can restore your mac to where you cloned it.

betas are not for everyone; i've had some crazy challenges & issues over the years (but always got thru it). this is the first 'point 1' beta i've ever run that does so well.

It means that they have tried it and seen some issues. Of course they will support it when it is released, Apogee and Apple partner on things like their new plug insurance. I have everything backed up with CCC and Time Machine but until I know that my audio interface and UAD card as I do have work.will work I can't install a new OS, bera or release.

It means that they have tried it and seen some issues. Of course they will support it when it is released, Apogee and Apple partner on things like their new plug insurance. I have everything backed up with CCC and Time Machine but until I know that my audio interface and UAD card as I do have work.will work I can't install a new OS, bera or release.

ok, so they specifically said that they tried it and there were some issues, not what you initially posted: "I talked to Apogee and they said that my Element 24 software and driver probably will not work right with the beta"

because there's a big difference between probably and definitely...

ok, so they specifically said that they tried it and there were some issues, not what you initially posted: "I talked to Apogee and they said that my Element 24 software and driver probably will not work right with the beta"

No "probably" is the term they used, because they only tested it briefly and they recognize, as all experienced users do, that some users will encounter problems others do not.

No "probably" is the term they used, because they only tested it briefly and they recognize, as all experienced users do, ".

ok, but they actually said all of that? "tested it briefly and they recognize, as all experienced users do, that some users will encounter problems others do not." and isn't it in fact true, that for any version of logic or the OS, that "that some users will encounter problems others do not"?

anyway, whatever works. as long as we can make music, we're golden....

OK, what my guy said, "I am here with the software engineer and he said probably not".

The rest is just my educated guess.And I am the one saying that after doing this for for almost 40 years I know that all experienced users know that some users will encounter problems others do not. And yes, it is true for any version of Logic or the OS but there is a big difference between "probably not" and "probably fine." I will take a shot with "probably fine" but will not with "probably not."

OK, what my guy said, "I am here with the software engineer and he said probably not".

The rest is just my educated guess.And I am the one saying that after doing this for for almost 40 years I know that all experienced users know that some users will encounter problems others do not. And yes, it is true for any version of Logic or the OS but there is a big difference between "probably not" and "probably fine." I will take a shot with "probably fine" but will not with "probably not."

yes, and an 'educated guess' is not quite a 'fact'. if they'd said 'probably fine', based on the same assumption (ie 'we haven't tried mojave but we think that...") would you have dived in? all i'm saying is, something is a fact, or it's not. and sometimes the only way to know a thing is to experience it yourself.

but there is nothing wrong with playing it safe. as always, being able to work (ie make music) is the priority.

I’ve been going through all my apps one by one. And all my softsynths/FX one by one and I’ve only had one crash. I’m not sure if the crash was Mojave or user error. Waves 10 installation app freaked out, but all I can’t do is install new plugins, I can still do everything else it can do. So far, everything else seems to be working out so far.