how do I group fx plugins on separate tracks?

jeffloven

I'm following a tutorial by a "pro" who plugs in eq, channel strips and 1176 on separate left and right guitars panned hard L/R and then sets up a mixing group in Protools so as to make adjustments on only one track's plugins and they are duplicated in the other track-(I'm not sure why he doesn't simply run an aux and just run one instance of this plugin chain)>

I've created a group and that works nifty for volume linkage but I'm also wanting to connect the fx plugins and I'm not seeing "link plugins" or anything in the group menu. I looked around and people are saying to highlight the channels and then options>cable serially but there is no "cable serially" in the options menu that I'm seeing....what am I missing?

I'm following a tutorial by a "pro" who plugs in eq, channel strips and 1176 on separate left and right guitars panned hard L/R and then sets up a mixing group in Protools so as to make adjustments on only one track's plugins and they are duplicated in the other track-(I'm not sure why he doesn't simply run an aux and just run one instance of this plugin chain)>

I've created a group and that works nifty for volume linkage but I'm also wanting to connect the fx plugins and I'm not seeing "link plugins" or anything in the group menu. I looked around and people are saying to highlight the channels and then options>cable serially but there is no "cable serially" in the options menu that I'm seeing....what am I missing?

There are plenty of scenarios where you don't want the sum of two sources being processed together and vice versa.

Grouping of plug-ins in Logic Pro X is not as straightforward forward as in Pro Tools.

You can use cabling in the Environment, but it requires transport running and delay objects.

My preferred method would be to use smart controls instead:

ARP MIDI FX plugin to control many Instruments at once

(I'm not sure why he doesn't simply run an aux and just run one instance of this plugin chain)>

The result would be different. For example consider compressing two vocals: if you have one compressor on each vocal track, then you can be in situations where one track goes above the threshold but not the other, therefore the first track is compressed but not the second one. If you summed both vocals and used a single compressor on the sum, then if one vocal triggers the compressor, the sum of both vocals is compressed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys, stumbled across this thread looking for the same thing as jeffloven.

Basically, there is no way to do this in Logic X without either resorting to the environment or creating a track stack or bus?

Having too many track stacks and busses is just not quite as smooth from a workflow perspective as grouping parameters. I like to keep the mixer as free of clutter as possible...

I'm following a tutorial by a "pro" who plugs in eq, channel strips and 1176 on separate left and right guitars panned hard L/R and then sets up a mixing group in Protools so as to make adjustments on only one track's plugins and they are duplicated in the other track...

If we're talking signals panned hard L/R, couldn't we just instantiate Logic plugins in "Dual Mono" mode?

Here is a Dual Mono Compressor with L - R channels separate then "coupled".

(In the video the 2 notes are panned L and R.)

853497895_DualMonoL-Rcompressor.gif.4aba2319395cccbedb39ea77300b488c.gif

It's a shame. I'll stick to the smart controls solution, though I end up with a lot of stacks cluttering the mixer as David rightly noticed I was trying to avoid. Yeah option dragging kinda works as does copy and pasting the settings, though when you're listening in the mix that isn't really very helpful, it's rather slow trial-and-error sort of way of working - Adjust->Copy-Listen rather than just listening and adjusting simultaneously!

I'd love to see insert rows added to groups settings for this sort of thing....