Am I running Logic from my system drive??

kerochan

May seem like a dumb question, just wanna make sure I am doing things correctly here! even though I have done it like this for over a year!

I want to make sure I am not running Logic from my system drive.

I turn on my computer and 2 external G Drives,

I click on the Logic icon and open a new session, then name it and save it to my G drive 1, (and then drag it across from G drive 1 to 2 to make a back up copy)

Then later, when I want to work on the project i open it up from G drive 1 and make all the changes I need, and save it in G drive 1, and then again drag a copy to G drive 2.

nothing is getting saved to the computer.

Does this mean I am not running Logic from my system drive?

I am sure it does, just want to double check.

Hi Kerochan

Not sure who advised you of that but leave the Logic app on your system drive. The recommendation is to sym link large sample librarys to an external HD (SSD) , but only if you use

those large libraries.

Leave the Logic app in Applications!!

Hi Kerochan

Not sure who advised you of that but leave the Logic app on your system drive. The recommendation is to sym link large sample librarys to an external HD (SSD) , but only if you use

those large libraries.

Leave the Logic app in Applications!!

Cheers Fusbar, if you take a look at this video, at around 1.42, he says you shouldnt run from the internal system drive!

So I am doing things wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong.

This is pretty much by the book.

How can I run Logic from an external druve like we are all advised to!?

Like I said in my previous post: It's basically semantics.

You really don't want to run Logic Pro X from anywhere else than your system drive.

You are already doing everything right. Don't worry about it. :D

To be a little more precise: you never run Logic (or any app for that matter) from a drive. It doesn't really matter where the Logic app itself is stored (although it's recommended you store it on your system drive). When you open Logic, macOS will transfer all the code to run the Logic app from the drive to the RAM in your Mac, and thats where Logic runs from: from RAM.

To be a little more precise: you never run Logic (or any app for that matter) from a drive. It doesn't really matter where the Logic app itself is stored (although it's recommended you store it on your system drive). When you open Logic, macOS will transfer all the code to run the Logic app from the drive to the RAM in your Mac, and thats where Logic runs from: from RAM.

Thank you David.

Thats made things clearer.

Cheers