Best method for programming Hi-Hat MIDI for more human feel?

rocknrollchef

Hello:

The Drummer feature (especially Producer Kits) in Logic sound great (I use 10.3.3.), but it occurs to me the hi-hat & cymbal patterns can sound a little "canned," and it's very time consuming to mess with open/closed sounds etc. to humanize them. Not to mention VERY time consuming to write/cut/paste the stuff in MIDI mode.

Wondering if there's a recommendation for accelerating things to create a more realistic sounding hi hat part (open & closed patterns)? Do I tap it in with a computer keyboard or drum pad or what? Or send any links to tutorials too.

THANK YOU !

chef

Besides playing them in manually, which will give you small variations in velocity and timing, under functions - midi transform - there is a humanise options that will add a small amount of randomisation to the timing and velocity.

There is also a random velocity option where you can select a lower and upper limit and apply that to specific drums, such as your hats.

Finally you have to program in the accents to give that real feel.

But the quickest way to to play it in with a controller.

Best method I have used is an automated EQ. By just using a plugin to automate the top end you can get subtle "movement" on the high hat. I've used it a lot. It's a little lazy by with some subtle timing adjustments as well it's a quick way to give the hi hat some "life". I've only done this in Ableton Live, but I know it can be done in Logic.

Best method I have used is an automated EQ. By just using a plugin to automate the top end you can get subtle "movement" on the high hat. I've used it a lot. It's a little lazy by with some subtle timing adjustments as well it's a quick way to give the hi hat some "life". I've only done this in Ableton Live, but I know it can be done in Logic.

Sounds like a great idea for Step FX!

• 3 weeks later...
There's so many different approaches available, especially in Logic. To piggyback on the EQ idea, I often like to link the velocity to things like the amp envelope and filter for very subtle changes.

Are you using the mod matrix in EXS for that, or is there a different method you're using?

Sometimes you just have to take the time to get the realism you're after. If you're trying to recreate a human-sounding drum track you may need to get into the midi and add tiny ghost notes, move notes around, tweak velocities, add variations in the pattern here and there, make sure your 'drummer' hasn't got three arms and four legs etc. It takes bloody hours sometimes but there is no quick way around it.