Two audio tracks. Need to insert silence into one of them

pobinr
Go to solution Solved by blinkofani,

Two audio tracks. I need to insert silence into end of one of them

Have highlighted region in yellow bar at top

Have selected the top track so highlighted light grey on the left

When I click on silence icon, it removes the region highlighted yellow from both tracks

How can I just insert silence on the top track only ?

Thanks

807563777_ScreenShot2018-09-11at22_44_58.thumb.png.1e516c4e84dce7f2998d991dcfcdbca2.png

One easy way to silence the end part of the selected track (from your posted picture) would be to adjust the region's (blue rectangle) length by dragging its right edge back to the desired position (bar 27...) with the mouse, directly in the main area or within the audio track editor.

If any reverb tail still ring out, you would also have to resort to volume level automation on that track's assigned chennelstrip as well.

There could be other methods...

Deer Atlas that worked thank you. Good job it was at the end of the track. Not sure if it would work mid track.

I find Audacity is much easier than Logic, when cutting & pasting & deleting sections etc.

Unfortunately when I switched to a Kemper as my guitar processor it has SPDIF out & that signal goes to tracks 5&6 in Audacity so I have to use Logic.

Which is a fine bit of software capable of very much, but ergonomics not as intuitive as Audacity. Which is odd as Logic is very expensive & Audacity is free !

Triplets thanks for your reply. Couldn't get your suggestion to work though.

That's probably down to me

Command T

Then what action with mouse or keyboard ?

In Audacity one can just highlight a region with left click then drag mouse across region required to highlight/select it, then do effects on that region or cut or copy it or make silence.

It's so easy with Audacity & so awkward in Logic !

Edited by pobinr

In Audacity one can just highlight a region on a particular track with left click then drag mouse across region required to highlight/select it, then do effects on that region or cut or copy it or make silence etc on that region.

It's so easy

Just don't seem able to do this in Logic

In Logic it doesn't highlight the region & command T then mouse seems to drag the whole track away !

Hang on I got it

You hold command & T then drag mouse whilst still pressing command T

Thanks

556426908_ScreenShot2018-09-13at22_08_24.thumb.png.85ddbdbc67513d63f466c427477c9a06.png

Command T

Then what action with mouse or keyboard ?

In Audacity one can just highlight a region with left click then drag mouse across region required to highlight/select it, then do effects on that region or cut or copy it or make silence.

It's so easy with Audacity & so awkward in Logic !

Use the Marquee tool to select the section you want to silence and then use the key command you use for "mute selection"? You have your command tool set to the Marquee tool, right?

Blink

Well I found I can select a region as long as I press & hold down the Command & T key while I drag the mouse.

But I have no idea where to find the command tool or set the Marquee tool

Well, no wonder you find Logic awkward :D

The Marquee tool is the most important editing tool in Logic. Where you see your main tool up there in the Tracks area, you have another tool at the right. This is your Command tool, the tool your cursor becomes when you press the Command key. Set it to the marquee tool and you can do dozens of things with it. Go check some videos about the marquee tool in logic and start enjoying editing in Logic!

Blink

Well it's already set to it. Point your cursor over a region and then hold the Command key. The cursor will turn into a +. This is your marquee tool. Now while holding the command key, drag a selection and hit backspace. You deleted this section, press M and you muted it, drag the selection(releasing the command key so it turns back to the arrow) and hold option key. You copied the selection elsewhere. And it goes on and on…

Blink

That looks like an excellent tip. Many thanks will give it a go.

But the vital thing I now know that makes Logic viable for me, is command then drag & drop with mouse to select a region.

However I am struggling on Logic with how to apply effects to a region, which is easy in Audacity.

In Logic once i've highlighted a region, how do I apply effects to the region ?

Or perhaps in Logic there are no effects?

In which case Audacity is a more powerful DAW for audio

That looks like an excellent tip. Many thanks will give it a go.

But the vital thing I now know that makes Logic viable for me, is command then drag & drop with mouse to select a region.

However I am struggling on Logic with how to apply effects to a region, which is easy in Audacity.

At this point a little time with the manual would help you I think. As for audio effects, unfortunately Logic doesn't have any. That's why it's so cheap.... bah only kidding!! Look for "Selection-based processing"...

Blink

Logic is a very powerful and complete DAW.

Spend some time on youtube watching tutorials on how to use its features. There are plenty.

Logic is a very powerful and complete DAW.

Spend some time on youtube watching tutorials on how to use its features. There are plenty.

Sure is not me who wrote that!!

Blink