Autoselect Automation Parameter in Logic 10.4.2

Plowman

Aah!...

Ok, then it works fine here.

So it's not meant to work between editors...

Thanx to have clarified!

Yes. It was the first thing I have seen. Load a plug in, set auto select on, move a parameter on the plug and the related automation appear directly.

No need to scroll the pop up menu to fond it.

The backward is that I have to set it off just after that because when playing back it’s a mess in the piano roll automation items,

when you attempt to edit a particular one. Kind of loopback. ( It was the case in 10.4, dunno if it’s same behaviour in 10.4.2 )

So I have assigned a short cut on/off.

That make sense. The keycommand becomes really handy here indeed!

• 2 weeks later...
You're expecting it to do something other than what it does. All it does is this:

auto-select.gif

The problem for some people, myself included, is that it does that whether or not "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode" is selected or not. And this is "new" in 10.4.2.

I just updated today and noticed this bug.

You're expecting it to do something other than what it does. All it does is this:

auto-select.gif

The problem for some people, myself included, is that it does that whether or not "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode" is selected or not. And this is "new" in 10.4.2.

The behavior described in this thread is new, but it's not related to "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode", which is not supposed to toggle that behavior. So the expectation that toggling "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode" should affect the behavior described here is misguided.

Wether that new behavior described here is a bug or a feature is anyone's guess, but in any case "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode" does work as expected (and as in earlier Logic versions).

The behavior described in this thread is new, but it's not related to "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode", which is not supposed to toggle that behavior. So the expectation that toggling "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode" should affect the behavior described here is misguided.

Wether that new behavior described here is a bug or a feature is anyone's guess, but in any case "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode" does work as expected (and as in earlier Logic versions).

1)True, the toggle works if you move a parameter in the plug in window. On it auto selects, Off it doesn't.

2)But why in 10.4.2 does moving a note or adjusting a parameter in the piano roll editor switch the shown parameter? It didn't do this in 10.4.1

3)Is #2 something not happening in your sessions? If its not a bug (Its certainly not a feature, no one would want this to be the default and only way the automation parameter is selected in the track automation window), how do we turn this off? I do feel like this was happening to me at one point with 10.4. But I can't for the life of me remember how or what I switched to fix it.

Thanks!

‘...it works whether it's checked or not (at least here).”

Indeed. That was the point of the initial post — it cannot be over-written or disabled here, and other users confirm it. The movie shows the problem clearly in the very first post. So when other users say that it works, my best understanding is that, for them, it can be switched off.

“I do feel like this was happening to me at one point with 10.4.”

My recollection is that it came in 10.4.0, it was fixed in 10.4.1, and it reappeared in 10.4.2. Hence the thread starts with, “They broke it again.”

For those who can turn off the feature, count your blessings. But the programmers will fix it. As an option, it’s a good idea, but as a hard-wired, unstoppable default, it’s really annoying.

‘...it works whether it's checked or not (at least here).”

Indeed. That was the point of the initial post — it cannot be over-written or disabled here, and other users confirm it. The movie shows the problem clearly in the very first post. So when other users say that it works, my best understanding is that, for them, it can be switched off.

“I do feel like this was happening to me at one point with 10.4.”

My recollection is that it came in 10.4.0, it was fixed in 10.4.1, and it reappeared in 10.4.2. Hence the thread starts with, “They broke it again.”

For those who can turn off the feature, count your blessings. But the programmers will fix it. As an option, it’s a good idea, but as a hard-wired, unstoppable default, it’s really annoying.

Mind boggling that this is only affecting certain users. I asked a friend and he has not encountered the problem. Erasing preferences doesn't seem to fix it. Very frustrating.

It seems like you missed my point, which is, to sum it up, that "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode" works as expected in 10.4.2, the same as in previous Logic versions. It does exactly what it's expected to do: it toggles the auto-selection of a parameter when you adjust that parameter in a plug-in window.

Having an automation parameter menu update in one pane when selecting a parameter from the automation parameter menu in another pane (which is the subject of this thread) is not (has never been, and should not be) related to "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode". And wether it's a bug, a feature, or wether it should be toggleable or not is anyone's guess.

Now I understand. These are indeed two separate issues.

The command needs to be named "Autoselect Plug-In Parameters in Read Mode."

It behaves as it should. When checked, the automation in the track header switches to whatever plug-in item you adjust. When unchecked, the automation stays put. In the movie, it just stays on Volume.

924675405_AutoselectforPlug-Ins.gif.0e9296d9f165096b12a7e708ce59b3b7.gif

Plug-Ins. It's only works for Plug-Ins. Period. The movie shows the command behaving like we dreamed it would for normal CC editing between standard editing panes.

By the way, the Logic manual says, "There must be automation showing in the main automation lane, and the automation mode set to Read, for “Auto-Select Automation Parameter” in Read mode to work." Here, it follows the adjustment (when toggled on) for Read, Touch, Latch, and Write, that is, whenever Automation is on.

So perhaps the mystery of this command working for some and not others is solved. Those who say it's working understand that it's only for plug-ins, and those for whom it does not work are expecting the command to stop the cringing, lunatic need to keep resetting an automation lane in Main after adjusting a region's CC's in another editor.

I now understand David's point. But we are not the only forum loathing the problem of unwanted lane switching, and it is often suggested that the solution is to de-select "Autoselect Automation in Read Mode." Not true.

How anyone can read a command titled "Autoselect Automation in Read Mode" and think it only applies to plug-ins is beyond all reason. It is nestled in the Mix menu, where every other Automation command applies to Automation universally.

Thanks David for your patience.

Now I understand. These are indeed two separate issues.

(Snip)

So perhaps the mystery of this command working for some and not others is solved. Those who say it's working understand that it's only for plug-ins, and those for whom it does not work are expecting the command to stop the cringing, lunatic need to keep resetting an automation lane in Main after adjusting a region's CC's in another...

The test to see whether or not one is affected by this is simple. With Volume automation showing in a track’s main automation lane, go to piano roll for that track and adjust length of a note. Does the volume parameter switch to Note velocity? That’s what it does for me. And it shouldn’t.

It’s indeed a mystery as to why some seem to have this problem and others do not.

It’s indeed a mystery as to why some seem to have this problem and others do not.

I don't think that's the case, I believe there was just confusion between the selecting-a-parameter-in-one-pane-selects-same-parameter-in-another-pane behavior and the unrelated feature named "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode."

Plug-Ins. It's only works for Plug-Ins. Period.

Also channel strip parameters such as Mute, Solo, Volume, Pan and Send Levels.

I don't think that's the case, I believe there was just confusion between the selecting-a-parameter-in-one-pane-selects-same-parameter-in-another-pane behavior and the unrelated feature named "Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode."

David if you could please, with track showing volume automation in main lane, with no other lanes visible, please go to piano roll and adjust length of any note. Does automation parameter change to “note velocity”? It shouldn’t do that correct?

"Selecting-a-parameter-in-one-pane-selects-same-parameter-in-another-pane." Ah, that's the name of the toggle command we need. :-)

I unzipped 10.4.1 and tested it. There, all is well. The automation lane does not switch.

424466553_NoLaneSwitchinginLogic10.4.1.gif.59d90fa2c8380ab44cb1760f3d300622.gif

So I correctly remember that it was fixed in 10.4.1, and it is (in my opinion) broke again. But I incorrectly recalled that the command in question had any effect. It was simply fixed.

As it came in 10.4.0, left in 10.4.1 and returned in 10.4.2, one hopes that it is a bug. This happens in Environment sometimes -- something's fixed, and then it's broke again. Numerical entry in text boxes comes to mind.

If it is meant to be a feature, we, in choral unison, ask Logic programmers for a preference or a command to stop it as we choose.

The behavior shadowboxnyc describes and laments is here -- I suspect it's everywhere. Or, to state it in different terms, if anyone's computer does NOT do the following on 10.4.2, please make a movie and post.

1608819998_NoteVelocityinMainAutomationLane.thumb.gif.1ad526fe14a3dc8e2b3adfb7e0a6026b.gif

This behavior is uniquely inappropriate here, as the user cannot change the note velocity in Main / Track Automation. The notes cannot be selected. Automation lines drawn have no effect.

This adds credence to the idea that it's a bug that will be fixed. He said... optimistically.

The behavior shadowboxnyc describes and laments is here -- I suspect it's everywhere. Or, to state it in different terms, if anyone's computer does NOT do the following on 10.4.2, please make a movie and post.

Note Velocity in Main Automation Lane.gif

This behavior is uniquely inappropriate here, as the user cannot change the note velocity in Main / Track Automation. The notes cannot be selected. Automation lines drawn have no effect.

This adds credence to the idea that it's a bug that will be fixed. He said... optimistically.

Just verified with a friend on his rig. After he said it wasn't doing it yesterday. I walked him through and same thing is happening. Looks like a bug. I guess this thread should be moved to the bug section. I think its a case of people working a certain way and not noticing it. While other's workflow reveals the bug. Pretty annoying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This is probably an old and dead matter to most, but doesn't anyone else want to be able to exclude stuff, namely mute and solo at least from the auto selection? For me it's natural to draw automation and listen to the effects in context and in solo, and clicking solo makes solo the automation parameter on that track, for no useful reason (for me, at least) and that time, it's a huge workflow-ruiner and time-waster.