Mac-Based Apple Special Event October 30, 2018

Plowman

Though it is probably too soon for the release of our long-awaited Mac Pro, there may be some information about it. And a new Mac Mini Is also on the table. Anyone considering a new computer purchase for Logic, pay heed.

Waiting with bated breath Plowman!

Doubtful there will be Mac Pro news this month, but the Mac Mini is the one I am waiting for, a Mac Mini Pro, yeah!

Though it is probably too soon for the release of our long-awaited Mac Pro, there may be some information about it. And a new Mac Mini Is also on the table. Anyone considering a new computer purchase for Logic, pay heed.

Waiting with bated breath Plowman!

Doubtful there will be Mac Pro news this month, but the Mac Mini is the one I am waiting for, a Mac Mini Pro, yeah!

• 2 weeks later...

No Mac Pro. But a Mac Mini update that has been long in coming. From 9to5Mac :

Apple has just unveiled a new Mac mini at its October media event. In a space grey finish, every Mac mini now starts with quad-core CPU configurations. Apple will also offer six-core models for the first time. The new Mac mini can include up to 64 GB RAM, and all models feature solid state drives.

The Mac mini starts at $799, with various build-to-order upgrade options. Orders start today, with first deliveries from November 7.

On the back side, the Mac mini includes an array of ports: gigabit Ethernet, four Thunderbolt 3 ports, HDMI port, and USB-A. You can also configure it with 10 Gigabit Ethernet like the iMac Pro.

The new Mini also features the Apple T2 chip for security. Apple has redesigned the internals for better cooling. Apple is using recycled aluminium for the enclosure and 60% recycled plastics.

The most specced-out Mac mini can feature 64 GB RAM, 4.6GHz 6-core Core i7 CPUs, a 2 TB SDD and 10 Gigabit ethernet.

Fans of the Mac Mini have had to wait for a long time for this update. Before today, the last update to the product was in 2014. With this revision, Apple has dramatically updated the internal components, although the exterior has mostly stayed the same aside from the new space gray finish.

Really disappointed in the lack of iMac update at this event; I like the iMac form factor, but the current Retina iMacs are out-of-date, and the Pro is too much machine for me. I need something with more processor than I'm running now, 16+GB of RAM, and 512GB+ of SSD (and Thunderbolt).

I specced a Mini with the i7, 32GB of RAM, and the 512GB SSD, and ... man is that thing pricey, even before you start adding in the accessories. I assume the RAM will be soldered in, or else you could spec with 8GB and get some cheaper RAM from Crucial or somebody and save a few hundred dollars.

The RAM is a so-dimm, looks to be user upgradable. Probably going to be my next computer in the near future.

Ah, that changes things. Still expensive as hell, but if the thermals aren't terrible, a possible win. I want to replace my iMac by the end of the calendar year to expense it, so if there are no iMac updates, maybe the Mini isn't so bad.

“The RAM is a so-dimm, looks to be user upgradable.“

I would be delighted if you were correct. Unfortunately, it’s not a question of RAM type — it’s how the memory is attached, and how accessible the slots are. And Apple has soldered its own (expensive) RAM into Mac Mini motherboards since 2014. I’ve also searched for any hint of third-party upgrade-ability after this morning’s announcement and have found nothing. Indeed, a benefit of waiting for the 2019 Mac Pro may be exactly the freedom to add memory from outside the Apple universe. But even that cannot be certain.

Perhaps a more adventurous geek can crack open the well-sealed new Mac Mini and puzzle it out, but that’s beyond my skill set.

Oh the good old days, where the twist-and-open Mini would happily accommodate more RAM.

Perhaps there’s hope. This is from SlashGear:

“No, you can’t change the processor – in this case a choice of 4-core or 6-core Intel Core i3, Core i5, or Core i7 chips – but Apple has stuck with SO-DIMM memory. If you don’t want to pay Apple for an upgrade to up to 64 GB of RAM from the standard 8 GB, you should be able to do it yourself later on.”

A topic like this is important to we media types, so if anyone sees more information, please share.

Okay, looking even better. This is from zdnet:

MEMORY TO 64GB

Memory, which previously maxed on the Mac mini at 16GB, can now be configured up to 64GB. The base model ships with 8GB RAM, but Apple specifically mentioned that memory is on SO-DIMMs.

I reached out to Apple about this and was told: "Yes, Mac mini is configurable up to 64GB and uses industry-standard DDR4 SO-DIMMs. While we don't consider the memory directly end-user accessible, service providers can access the internals of the Mac mini to upgrade the memory."

This is the best of both worlds, because Apple's RAM upgrades cost $200 to go to 16GB, $600 to go to 32GB, and a whopping $1,400 to go to 2666MHz DDR 4-based 64GB RAM.

If RAM is upgradeable after purchase, this is a big thing. A quick look at the Crucial site today (RAM prices change constantly) show that that same 64GB upgrade can be had for $879, $521 less than Apple charges. Even better, it means you can get an affordable Mac mini and later, as your needs change, can grow your RAM footprint.

(Okay. Plowman again....)

Crucial and other sites may put out some hyper-detailed instructions for tear down and upgrading. As of this writing, Crucial says it has no upgrades for a Mac Mini Late 2018. But hey, it was just announced this morning.

The Geekbench scores for the 6-core i5 are about 75% higher in single-core, 120% in multi-core, than the 2011 15" Macbook Pro.

I'm going to wait for the iFixIt teardown to see just how accessible the RAM is (ie., truly consumer-accessible, or officially authorized-service-only), but these are looking pretty legit (although I've gotten so used to buying all-in-ones that I don't know how to shop for a monitor anymore).

Well, my Macbook 2011 with SandyBridge 4 core I7 just hit the roof in a few project. I'm considering the new Mac mini. But how big is the difference between i5 an i7? I guess a 8:th gen i5 with 6 cores is still way better for Logic than a 4 core Sandy Bridge i7 right?

I would absolutely say spend the extra $200 for the i7, even it means skimping on storage or RAM. RAM you can do later, 256 is (barely) adequate for the OS, apps and some library and externals are cheap. But you are buying a computer for the next 7-8 years judging by your current machine. (me too, 2011 iMac and 2012 MBP).

Well, my Macbook 2011 with SandyBridge 4 core I7 just hit the roof in a few project. I'm considering the new Mac mini. But how big is the difference between i5 an i7? I guess a 8:th gen i5 with 6 cores is still way better for Logic than a 4 core Sandy Bridge i7 right?

The i7 should have more threads, two for every core.

Thank you uncleozzy, redgreenblue & gdoubleyou. I also read a thread in Gearslutz claiming the i7 really has huge advantages when it comes to DAWs. I'll go for the i7. And then I add an OWC Express 4M2 to handle my large SoundLibraries because Apples pricing on increasing storage to 2 TB is just crazy!