about to order new Mac Mini or Trash Can Mac Pro ?

kerochan

So I have placed the new Mac Mini in my basket, haven't checked out yet....

Thinking it might be easier to just get a refurbished Mac Pro.

it has all the TB2 ports I need for my hardware, no adaptors needed, I can plug my screen in also.

and I can order it with Sierra or El Capitan, no Mojave problems, I will use Logic 10.3.2 anyway, as its stable for me.

The new mac mini is great, but I really was hoping it would have TB2 ports AND TB3 ports.

Any thoughts?

I would be more inclined for the Mac Mini. The Mac Pro does have traditional ports, which is great, but if it ever needs a repair it is likely to be expensive. Having a warranty + AppleCare is a good thing. An OWC TB3 Dock can give you more ports and with the exception of the GPU the Mac Mini could very well bench as fast or faster than the Mac Pro.

You're paying for 2 graphic cards that you don't need for logic and ram speed on the mac mini is twice as fast.

You really wanna pay so much money for a computer that was only meant for graphic and film editing?

With the money you save with mac mini, you can add a thunderbolt dock to minimize adapters:

https://eshop.macsales.com/Search/?q=&filter.catidpath=4448

Can you list the specs for both machines so we can compare?

Hi David

The mac Mini comes to £1969.00 with Apple Care

The Trash can comes to £2570.00 with warranty

Here are the specs:

I really like the idea the trash can has Sierra and the right Tb2 ports, though it does feel like stepping backwards a bit.

Any thoughts?

mini.png.1d2bf4b3e06546b43faa92c8152d66e9.pngPRO.png.aa5dee4848cec031a8a7d1ea2cbf9c72.png

You're paying for 2 graphic cards that you don't need for logic and ram speed on the mac mini is twice as fast.

You really wanna pay so much money for a computer that was only meant for graphic and film editing?

With the money you save with mac mini, you can add a thunderbolt dock to minimize adapters:

https://eshop.macsales.com/Search/?q=&filter.catidpath=4448

Thanks triplets

I will see if I can find that dock in UK.

* Actually I am confused triplets, which one of those docks do I need? I have a TB 2 display and my Apollo TB2.

whereas the macmini ports are USBC TB3.

My vote goes for the Mac mini. Smaller, faster, leaner, more recent, less expensive, most likely a better resale value...

Check this out: https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/02/mac-mini-base-2018-geekbench/

Oh and I really like the idea of a dock if you're going to use multiple hard drives but don't need all of them connected simultaneously.

Thanks David, you, and others on here have convinced me to go for the Mac Mini.

I really am confused with the dock thing though, at the moment I have 2 pieces of TB2 hardware and 2 USB 3 drives, and I have another 2 USB 3 drives I sometimes connect also.

The Mac Mini is TB3 USBC , so which dock am I meant to get!? a TB2 dock or TB3 dock?

You can tell I haven't bough a computer for some time!

I really am confused with the dock thing though, at the moment I have 2 pieces of TB2 hardware and 2 USB 3 drives, and I have another 2 USB 3 drives I sometimes connect also.

The Mac Mini is TB3 USBC , so which dock am I meant to get!? a TB2 dock or TB3 dock?

For the new mac mini you need this dock:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3DK12PSG/

But for your display and interface, this dock doesn't have dedicated TB2 ports. It has one mini display port which is the same as a TB port, which you could use for the display .So you would still need to get TB2 to TB3 adapters from Apple to use the TB3 ports on the mini:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

But for your display and interface, this dock doesn't have dedicated TB2 ports. It has one mini display port which is the same as a TB port, which you could use for the display .So you would still need to get TB2 to TB3 adapters from Apple to use the TB3 ports on the mini:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

The MiniDisplay port on the dock might not support the Thunderbolt display. I'll try to be clear in my explanation: There is a difference between MiniDisplay port and Thunderbolt 2, even though the ports look identical. With the Touchbar Macs I deploy here at my job we need different adapters depending on if the display is MDP or TB, and that is for Apple displays!!! For your TB display you might need to get at TB3-TB2 adapter. Annoying but it will allow the ports on the TB display to be used. I'm not saying that I know FOR SURE that the dock won't work, but it is possible it won't. I'd ask OWC before ordering. There is also a difference between USB-C and TB3 even though they look identical. What confuses me about that OWC dock is this, TB3 doesn't support MiniDisplay Port, USB-C does. But USB-C doesn't support TB, that is why we need different adapters at my job.

For you most if not all of your needs will be satisfied with a TB3 dock. I don't know if the TB2 dock running through an adapter will work or not. I'm sure I'll find out when I order my Mac Mini and try to use the OWC TB2 dock that I have at home.

The MiniDisplay port on the dock might not support the Thunderbolt display. I'll try to be clear in my explanation: There is a difference between MiniDisplay port and Thunderbolt 2, even though the ports look identical. With the Touchbar Macs I deploy here at my job we need different adapters depending on if the display is MDP or TB, and that is for Apple displays!!! For your TB display you might need to get at TB3-TB2 adapter. Annoying but it will allow the ports on the TB display to be used. I'm not saying that I know FOR SURE that the dock won't work, but it is possible it won't. I'd ask OWC before ordering. There is also a difference between USB-C and TB3 even though they look identical. What confuses me about that OWC dock is this, TB3 doesn't support MiniDisplay Port, USB-C does. But USB-C doesn't support TB, that is why we need different adapters at my job.

For you most if not all of your needs will be satisfied with a TB3 dock. I don't know if the TB2 dock running through an adapter will work or not. I'm sure I'll find out when I order my Mac Mini and try to use the OWC TB2 dock that I have at home.

Thank you for you time redgreenblue,

Yes, you are correct about the mini display port, it will not work with TB 2 or any TB for that matter, even though it is identical!

However there is no difference between USBC and TB3, its just a different name! as you can see confirmation on here:1923557009_ScreenShot2018-11-06at06_47_01.png.0492c19a2cabc332397d91bb291f2a31.png from the Apple site itself.

yes, there is a difference in function, for example a USB-C cable can't do Target Mode data transfers, plus the MacBook has a single USB-C connector that ISN'T a TB3 connector, which means a TB3 dock and/or TB display won't connect to it. We discovered that the hard way. (that is such a s#!+ computer) Plus I don't think that TB3 supports powering the computer which is why the power adapters that come with the Macs are USB-C. This isn't me being pedantic, the differences matter for some things.

yes, there is a difference in function, for example a USB-C cable can't do Target Mode data transfers, plus the MacBook has a single USB-C connector that ISN'T a TB3 connector, which means a TB3 dock and/or TB display won't connect to it. We discovered that the hard way. (that is such a s#!+ computer) Plus I don't think that TB3 supports powering the computer which is why the power adapters that come with the Macs are USB-C. This isn't me being pedantic, the differences matter for some things.

Nightmare confusion! thanks for the info though! much appreciated

Great to see the Mini return AND with power, also this guy's right the ports are pretty generous.

I really liked the i7 server model they put out, was it 2012? I used one with Logic and it was fantastic, and wish i got one at the time instead of the base i5 model. This kinda reminds me of that, but WAAY more expensive.

Sure those i7 server models were 800-900 GBP, what an earth has happened to the price? I'm sure Apple are pricing these based on benchmarked performance vs the iMac pro, as the price is ludicrous considering this is pretty much a raw box with limited expandability.

If this pricing is any indication, Any new Mac Pro that we see is not coming in below $4k surely?

Edit: Ok, just realised that that $2.5k pricing is if you add pre-installed SSD and RAM, the base i7 Model is actually really well priced coming in at just over 1k.

Edit 2: Even the i3 performs well, that's a great buy for a singer/songwriter/guitarist who wants to plug in a $99 interface and record themselves or do home recording of their band.

Hmmm.. Damn... I kinda want one too now, that'd easily do me 5 years. lol

..And that dude's house is lovely, looks like Michael Myers could knock on your door at any moment, but wow, what a lovely view out his window. (I Must be getting old noticing things like this, lol).

Edited by skijumptoes

• 2 weeks later...

Its interesting the reviewer summarises with the words "But there's nothing this device particularly excels at".

Isn't this what Mac users crave? A no-frills machine that just works?

That's all i want, a very boring, very reliable machine that has adequate power. Leave the magic to me as a user, all it needs to do is support me and remain transparent. Also, for users with older Mac Pro's the Min is quite an interesting proposition, particularly at the price point.

Plus, the ability of storing it away in a safe if you're on vacation/work etc. is quite appealing from a professional POV. I dare not move my old cheesegraters as they wobble nowadays! :) Heck, you could even take it with you.

Wow, yeah, that Ars review is pretty harsh. I get the frustration with the new Mini, but for me, I've got an old iMac (the calculus might be different with an old Mac Pro) and a Thunderbolt audio interface that I really like. My choices are basically a new iMac with a previous-generation processor with fewer cores, a Macbook Pro that's hundreds of dollars more expensive (and I'd still want a monitor), or an iMac Pro that's complete overkill.

The Mini hits a sweet spot where I can use my old keyboard and mouse, buy any old 4K monitor, since I don't really need the beautiful iMac 5K screen, and save hundreds. I think. Still chewing it over.