View presets for a plug-in in the Library In the inspector

Creature
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi there,

To view the presets (patches) in the Library, the manual says "In the inspector, click immediately to the left of the plug-in slot on the left inspector channel strip"

But when clicking the channelstrip, any effect plugin or EXS24, nothing happens. Only the custom Library is shown.

When i open the EXS24 it does show the Library from the EXS, but when i change to another track, the view is gone when i go back to the EXS channel.

When i open an effect plugin, nothing at all appears in the Library.

In Logic 9, when clicking on any button in the inspector, the Library view jumps straight to the presets from that plugin.

Any idea how to solve this issue?

Thanx

• Solution
But when clicking the channelstrip, any effect plugin or EXS24, nothing happens. Only the custom Library is shown.

When clicking immediately to the left of a plug-in (or you can shift-click the plug-in insert) on the left channel strip in the Inspector, the blue triangle pointing from the library to the channel strip should be positioned where you click and the Library updates to show you presets for that plug-in.

library1.png.3d2a841c169a21c75b49e90ed4f72c8e.png

library2.png.3c643666856c0063566d146c35f0db68.png

library3.png.ae145993cb8d97554d1bdb8ab0d67cf9.png

When clicking immediately to the left of a plug-in (or you can shift-click the plug-in insert) on the left channel strip in the Inspector, the blue triangle pointing from the library to the channel strip should be positioned where you click and the Library updates to show you presets for that plug-in.

library1.png

library2.png

library3.png

They really need to create command keys so you can map a midi/usb button so when your playing keyboard you dont have to use mouse to fuss and click on the tiny disclosure arrows. I used Keyboard Maestro to set up macro on my midi keyboard to select them. Or use the key command on Logic Remote iPad again if they set up key command.

They really need to create command keys so you can map a midi/usb button so when your playing keyboard you dont have to use mouse to fuss and click on the tiny disclosure arrows. I used Keyboard Maestro to set up macro on my midi keyboard to select them. Or use the key command on Logic Remote iPad again if they set up key command.

That would be nice of course but do you really need to access plug-in presets that often? Personally I rarely (never?) find myself in the situation where I have to choose a preset for a plug-in on a channel strip then switch to another insert on that channel strip so that I can choose another preset.

That would be nice of course but do you really need to access plug-in presets that often? Personally I rarely (never?) find myself in the situation where I have to choose a preset for a plug-in on a channel strip then switch to another insert on that channel strip so that I can choose another preset.

Maybe I am missing you but the use case is loading up a virtual instrument and hunting for the sound you want with library presets for that instrument. And part of that sound might be with insert effects where also you browse the presets on the plugins. And of course each influence the other sounds so you back and forth until you get some combination of virtual instrument sound with plugin chain combined sounds. So you are playing your midi keyboard and can browse library presents with keyboard buttons or Remote key command buttons while playing but to see the relevant library you have to use mouse to click on a tiny disclosure triangle.

The other feature is simply to offer a global setting that allows the preset library to follow the plugin you have selected.

I put both of these requests into Logic X feature request - in meantime I have assigned the disclosure arrows with Keyboard Maestro so I can access them with my midi keyboard.

The fact that there is a special section in this forum for Logic users to share Logic Library version of presets suggests how powerful the Logic Library is to users.

I have all third party instruments and plugins aupresets for central Logic Library access from my controller and also with Logic Remote library feature.

Silly to make user use a mouse to click the disclosure arrows with all the easy workflow with the Library already built.

If I understand you well, you wish to navigate among the various plugins and related presets using a different method than a mouse... This is something that can be done via a MIDI comtroller that support such feature (i.e. C4 and Artist Control).

I use that sometimes, but at one point or another, I end up going back to the monitor/mouse; finding it more convenient when lots of editing is involved.

If I understand you well, you wish to navigate among the various plugins and related presets using a different method than a mouse... This is something that can be done via a MIDI comtroller that support such feature (i.e. C4 and Artist Control).

I use that sometimes, but at one point or another, I end up going back to the monitor/mouse; finding it more convenient when lots of editing is involved.

Yeah I have preset advance buttons on my controller too - it sees the presets in focus in Logic's library. But to focus Logic's Library on a plugin you have to click on the disclosure triangle with the mouse. Then I can advance through presets with my controller or Remote's Key Command Keys or arrows on usb keyboard or the bracket keys on the usb keyboard.

They default it appears when you move to a new track is at the channel strip level. You need to click on the disclosure triangle for the insert or instrument to focus the library on an insert or instrument.

Again better would be a setting selection where you could associate the preset library with the plugin you open without clicking on disclosure triangle.

Good discussion,.... Preset selection on all third party instruments and plugins with just one up or down arrow click would be great. I always wondered why they never managed that. I never used Midi controlers as you have to use one hand (vinger) to scroll anyway. I just loop a sequence, sit back and arrow my ass of, lol

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Blue disclosure arrow always defaulting to the channel strip setting on track selection still bugs me.An option or key command to " stay on instrument" would be great .Trying to arrange multiple EXS's or instruments in the library and having to aim mouse at little arrow all the time is a pain.Particulrly when trying to reconnect all the busted EXS instruments and samples from El Cap days..;)

Blue disclosure arrow always defaulting to the channel strip setting on track selection still bugs me.An option or key command to " stay on instrument" would be great .Trying to arrange multiple EXS's or instruments in the library and having to aim mouse at little arrow all the time is a pain.Particulrly when trying to reconnect all the busted EXS instruments and samples from El Cap days..;)

Exactly - I set up though Keyboard Mastro a button on my midi keyboard to click on disclosure instrument arrow. Then I can plow through them while playing keyboard to come up with the desired sound.

In case that's any easier you can also hold Shift while clicking the instrument slot...

• 3 years later...

Not sure if this is what you are asking, but I just tried what David wrote:

1. Click on the center of any plugin in the channel strip and the plugin window opens.

2. Shift-click on the center of any plugin in the channel strip and the presets show in the library.

3. Click to the left of any plugin in the channel strip and the presets show in the library and will open the library if it isn't already.

ScreenShot2023-04-08at9_03_34PM.png.be983e7e7e214e2b2ff2b4ad2f83b2ce.png

Edited by enossified

9 hours ago, enossified said:

Not sure if this is what you are asking, but I just tried what David wrote:

1. Click on the center of any plugin in the channel strip and the plugin window opens.

2. Shift-click on the center of any plugin in the channel strip and the presets show in the library.

3. Click to the left of any plugin in the channel strip and the presets show in the library and will open the library if it isn't already.

ScreenShot2023-04-08at9_03_34PM.png.be983e7e7e214e2b2ff2b4ad2f83b2ce.png

This is exactly what i meant, thanks! But for whatever reason this is not working at all for me (LPX 10.7.7., Monterey, M1).

For me it's:

Left-click in the middle opens the plugins (as usual).

Left-Click plus Option in the middle turns the plugins on and off (as usual).

But left click plus Shift in the Middle does absolutely nothing for me. Not even opening the plugin. Same thing with the ctrl-key + left click (but not sure if this even should have a function)...

What could that be? Super strange that it is working for everyone else, except me..

I mean i have BTT and KM running in my sessions but neither of them affecting any Shift-Key click behavior, just checked it again. I don't understand it...

Edited by steinweg

I just figured out, what i was doing wrong. I misunderstood you all completely.

I did not take into account, that the library has to be ALREADY open, in order for the shift-click to work.

Now that it is already open, everything works exactly like you said.

My misunderstanding.

But still would have been nice, if you could open the library with the shift click as well, because i never have it constantly open

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steinweg said:

But still would have been nice, if you could open the library with the shift click as well, because i never have it constantly open

Instead, what you can do is click to the left of the blue insert. A shaded triangle appears and the Library opens, showing settings for that plug-in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steinweg said:

I did not take into account, that the library has to be ALREADY open, in order for the shift-click to work.

Now that it is already open, everything works exactly like you said.

I should have mentioned in my reply that if you do the shift-click in the center and the library is closed, just type Y to see the presets already waiting there for you. 

That's why clicking just to the left of the plugin (as David mentioned and I did as well...#3) the library will open if it's closed. You don't have to press Shift, so it's the simplest way to view the presets.

• Like 2