Mixing Headphones

mgoslett1

Hey Guys

I know this is a highly debated subject and I'm not hear to continue the debate, as I am already aware of the arguments on all sides...

I'm just wondering what you good people are using for headphone mixing? Brands, models etc. Can you recommend anything in particular and share your experiences with them? I find myself in a position where building a mixing room with monitors, acoustic treatment and all of its complexities is not a viable option for me right now. Both in terms of space and financial implications. So I'm going to have to make do with a good pair of mixing headphones for the moment.

Again, I am already aware of the implications when it comes to mixing on headphones, so don't want to enter into the eternal debate. Not after mixing advice on this thread, just some examples of tried and tested headphones you've used during your mixing process, and the pros and cons thereof.

Thank you

Mark

If there's money: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - also useful for tracking (fully closed).

If there's hardly any money: Superlux HD 662 F (F is important - non-F's have extra bass, which you DON'T want.

Big advantage of the DT 770: very sturdy. No cable or plug malfunction - got mine for 10 years now. Fell asleep on it several times.

Small disadvantage of the Superlux 662 F: headband lasts max 2 years

1253474382_pic2018-11-21at13_16_39.png.68ac0cc73ca55b641e500a67b7fd82e2.png

- advantages: cable good, headband failure easily (though uglyly) fixable with piece of foam and tie-rip. Sound can compete with + $ 100 models. Also useful for tracking (also fully closed).

IMG_20181121_130641300.thumb.jpg.f4f2828e8adf7adbdd0038d800f5d9e5.jpg

I love my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, mostly because they're comfortable and I can keep them on for hours at a time. I've been doing a fair amount of mixing with them lately, and liked them, although I always double-check my mix on speakers and sometimes got surprises in the bass department. But great quality headphones, very comfortable which is super important for mixing, so I'd recommend them.

Thanks Guys.

I have being weighing up the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's from the viewpoint of the open backs, which I am led to believe is better to mix with. It's really helpful to know that they live up to their reputation and are comfortable.

The other pair I've been contemplating is the AKG K701's which seem to have a good rep. They're also comparable price-wise to the Beyerdynamics. Anyone use the AKG's and willing to share their experience?

I am sure there will be all kinds of advice when it comes to headphones!

I have tried quite a few, I finally settled on Sennheiser HD25 for tracking, they are comfortable and let NO sound out, being closed back! perfect!

For Mixing I have found that Sennheiser HD650s are amazing, flat response and they don't colour the sound.

Just my choice! there are so many out there!

Good old Sennheiser HD600. Using those cans for nearly a decade.

Pros: Excellent fidelity. Versatile. Open-back. Circumaural design. Comfortable once treated. Sturdy. Reliable.

Cons: Tad pricey (although well worth every penny). Requires headband extension-treatment to become comfortable when worn for extended period.

This is great guys. Thank you for sharing your experience!

I think I'm pretty much sold on the Beyerdynamics as they fit my initial budget and seem to tick all the boxes. It's also comforting to know though that it is the same brands and models that are being recommended, which means I'm looking in the right place!

Yes, definitely. You won't be disappointed. Are you getting the DT770? Make sure you watch the impedance of the model you're getting. Are you located in the U.S.?

I'm leaning towards the 990's as I already have a reasonable pair of headphones for tracking, which I may well upgrade further down the line with the 770's. But for now my priority is the in mixing.

Impedance-wise, I'm based in the UK. They are available on UK amazon so should be compatible with our shiz. I'll keep an eye out though. Thank you!

Impedance-wise, I'm based in the UK. They are available on UK amazon so should be compatible with our shiz. I'll keep an eye out though. Thank you!

Sorry if I mislead you with my previous questioning.... but impedance has nothing to do with the country where you're based. You have to match the impedance of your headphones with the impedance of your headphone output on your audio interface. So it depends on the tech specs of your interface. If you don't match the impedances you could get a skewed frequency response and/or low volume.

Sorry if I mislead you with my previous questioning.... but impedance has nothing to do with the country where you're based. You have to match the impedance of your headphones with the impedance of your headphone output on your audio interface. So it depends on the tech specs of your interface. If you don't match the impedances you could get a skewed frequency response and/or low volume.

Ah I see. I wasn't aware of that, thank you. I will look into it.