Unsilence "Silenced" Track, Please HELP!

callmelaub

Just recorded a podcast for a client. I used the silence button thinking it would bring me to the strip silence window but instead it deleted the audio and now i can't find it anywhere.

Logic doesn't let me undo and the file i found, well was silenced.

Is there any way to undo this? or to find the file?

In deep doo doo if lost.

2002308303_Screenshot2018-11-2217_03_48.png.0260dae3332d73664a1f98acf8d122ea.png

819290156_Screenshot2018-11-2217_04_09.png.b52466cce81766916f7bb65ffcef91b6.png

I used the silence button thinking it would bring me to the strip silence window but instead it deleted the audio and now i can't find it anywhere.

Unfortunately you've turned your audio recording into silence. When using the Audio File editor (where audio editing is destructive), Functions > Silence replaces your selection in the Audio File editor with zeroes (a flat lined waveform = silence). The process is destructive. If you're lucky you can reopen the same audio file in the Audio File editor and choose Edit > Undo Silence?

undo-silence.png.70a64fd59493fcd1a414a718233fc96d.png

To "strip silence", in the Tracks area (where audio editing is non-destructive), choose Functions > Remove Silence from Audio Regions.

• 2 years later...

Seems like you’ve silenced more than you had to mate, the best way to use this tool is to be cautious and listen back every time you make a change in the track file as you can’t recover it once you’ve finished.

Not all hope is lost as your best bet would be to find other parts in the recording where the letter/word appears again. For example, when an artist says ‘S’ the S tails off at the end meaning you can sometimes silence more than the breath, I found that you can actually grab a random S or similar S anywhere in the recording and drop it where it has vanished and you won’t be able to tell the difference.

finger crossed you can find what you’re looking for in the other vocals! Worst case-senerio would be to get the artist to re-record the section you silenced and simply drag only the ‘S’ into the original recording. I hope this helps, just be careful when you’re doing those small detailed changes.

Seems like you’ve silenced more than you had to mate, the best way to use this tool is to be cautious and listen back every time you make a change in the track file as you can’t recover it once you’ve finished.

Not all hope is lost as your best bet would be to find other parts in the recording where the letter/word appears again. For example, when an artist says ‘S’ the S tails off at the end meaning you can sometimes silence more than the breath, I found that you can actually grab a random S or similar S anywhere in the recording and drop it where it has vanished and you won’t be able to tell the difference.

finger crossed you can find what you’re looking for in the other vocals! Worst case-senerio would be to get the artist to re-record the section you silenced and simply drag only the ‘S’ into the original recording. I hope this helps, just be careful when you’re doing those small detailed changes.

Intersting tip...Thanx for sharing!