Bounce queue ?

bigramp

Yes i've read it. On my master bus is an eq + ssl compressor. No limiter.

The problem is, that compressor won't process the sound in the same way when you bounce stems vs when you bounce the whole mix. In other words, summing your processed stems will not get you the same results as processing the sum of your raw stems.

Basically, you can't do master bus processing when delivering stems. But for individual group processing, you could simply copy or move those plug-ins to the channel strip routing the subxmix of each group.

i feel you lose something in every case...

By delivering stems, you lose control over the master bus, therefore you can not apply bus compression on your stems. You could apply individual compression but that's for a different goal, and sounds different, so I'm not sure why you'd think that because you can't apply bus compression, applying individual compression is better than nothing. That doesn't quite make sense to me.

You have to accept to lose control over the master bus and relinquish that control to whoever is mixing the stems. Or ask to be the one mixing the project.

I understand, bu I feel that SSL compressor is an integral part of the sound i chose to achieve while composing and mixing the track. Andy Wallace for example always has a SSL bus compressor on just after his SSL console. He mixes into it. Disable it and the mix will be something completely different.

I make library music so these stems aren't a huge deal anyway. But i use the stems to do the 30sec and 60 sec versions and always manage to make them work. Disabling the compressor would add a lot to the workflow that's already long and painful.

I understand, bu I feel that SSL compressor is an integral part of the sound i chose to achieve while composing and mixing the track. Andy Wallace for example always has a SSL bus compressor on just after his SSL console. He mixes into it. Disable it and the mix will be something completely different.

The integral part of his sound is to use the SSL compressor on his mix bus. You don't have access to the mix bus, so you can't possibly get that sound. You may hear it while you're mixing, but you can't possibly "include" that sound in your individual stems.

I make library music so these stems aren't a huge deal anyway. But i use the stems to do the 30sec and 60 sec versions and always manage to make them work. Disabling the compressor would add a lot to the workflow that's already long and painful.

The workaround is to place one compressor on each group — but like I said before, you're not compressing the mix bus so the effect isn't the same.