Splitting stereo to L/R mono tracks

pdgttchrstphr
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I have a stereo WAV file of a conversation with two mics, one in each input, so they appear to be panned hard L/R. I'd like to split the stereo file into two mono files, one with the left channel and one with the right channel, so I can edit them in multitrack. I have not found a solid conclusion as to how to do this for LPX 10.3.2. I'd prefer not to use an external editor for this one, seemingly simple, function. Thanks for your help in advance!

• 4 months later...
Excuse me, guys, this is NOT the same as splitting left and right.

Or am I wrong?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems that when you pan left, you sum the two channels and drive them toghether to left...

Not sure which post you're referring to exactly. My solution (framed in green in this thread) does not involve panning and is indeed splitting left and right.

• 1 year later...
I would place the audio onto a stereo audio track and click hold its input format, choose Left, bounce in place (don't include volume/pan), then choose Right and bounce in place again.

How is it possible not to include volume/pan in this case.I don't see an option to include or exclude them.

I would place the audio onto a stereo audio track and click hold its input format, choose Left, bounce in place (don't include volume/pan), then choose Right and bounce in place again.

How is it possible not to include volume/pan in this case.I don't see an option to include or exclude them.

In the "Bounce in place" dialog:

102880037_bounceinpplace.png.3446d2382f91eaab8786744ffad03500.png

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bring this up again.This track splitting way suggested by David is excellent.But the only thing is that now while experimenting with a recording done with Apogee Duet with 2 mics connected left & right ,I find the quality & depth of each mic lacking (while soloing them )when compared to recording just a mono signal with just 1 mic connected to duet.Not sure why! Do I need to change the Logic pan settings anywhere? Right now it's the default pan setting.

Thanks.

the same mic sounds different when it was done as a stereo record (now in mono mode) than just feeding a single mic into the left channel of the Duet's input.

It should sound exactly the same, except for any gain change applied by the pan law. Test it with a pan law of 0 dB and you should get the exact same sound, same level.

Will figure out what pan law means but when I finally checked it,it sounded the same.I must have had the left,rights confused.But I’ve been curious about the waveform: When recording in stereo each channel’s wave form is either above or below the center line.While recording mono the wave form looks full on both the sides.So overall is there any loss in quality while recording on just one channel although Logic has the convenience of choosing mono or stereo,left ,right in the channel strip?

Will figure out what pan law means

It's a setting under File > Project Settings > Audio which affects how gain is adjusted (normally it's automatically increased) while you pan a sound from the center to one of the sides.

When recording in stereo each channel’s wave form is either above or below the center line.While recording mono the wave form looks full on both the sides.So overall is there any loss in quality while recording on just one channel although Logic has the convenience of choosing mono or stereo,left ,right in the channel strip?

No loss in quality, the waveform is only a representation of the audio data in the audio file and because a stereo signal has two audio signals, a stereo audio region displays the two waveforms that way, while the mono region takes advantage of the full space in the region and shows you a bigger waveform. It's only cosmetics.

Converting interleaved stereo files to split stereo files is still possible in the Project Audio Browser. Just right click on the audio file and choose Copy/Convert File(s), then in the ensuing dialog choose "Stereo Conversion: Interleaved to Split", uncheck "Add resulting files to Project Audio" (to prevent Logic from re-interleaving the two resulting mono files) and choose *a different* destination folder than the one the audio file is in (if I use the same folder I cannot get this to work reliably, probably because of a bug)