EXS24 losing sample INCLUDING sample name

juscher

Hey guys,

I'm using EXS for years and had the usual "lost samples" scenarios, where I get a little pop up window when loading an instrument, that tells me, the samples are missing. When I go into the editor, I see the sample names, but they don't load.

That scenario happens sometimes and usually is pretty straight forward to fix.

However, this one is different:

Instrument loads up fine, no message, but nothing plays. A look inside the editor reveals - all samples are missing AND also their sample name got lost. Instead of the sample name, it now only lists "Samples" (I took a screenshot).

Anyone ever had that issue and found out why this is happening ??

Very frustrating, so I'm happy for any input!

Thanks!!

j998183240_ScreenShot2018-12-19at6_45_43PM.png.077b03942f59b55f48b0f4951ba5a198.png

The samples are on an external HDD, but I recall, that I had that happening before with samples, that were on the same drive as the EXS instruments.

If I go back to an older saved version (in Time Machine) of the exact same instrument - with no other factors changing - the instrument loads fine.

One factor, that might play into this though is - I'm syncing the exs instruments via dropbox to multiple rigs. Maybe Dropbox corrupts somehow something in the EXS instrument? Is there a way to check out the code of the EXS, to see, if there are any hints of what's happening?

• 3 weeks later...
I'm having this same problem happen a lot with my EXS instruments on my laptop running Sierra. I also have an older desktop running Mavericks and I've never seen this problem up till now, on the Sierra system. This is quite serious as I use EXS a lot and sample my own instruments using Autosampler. I'm wondering if upgrading to High Sierra will fix the issue (my laptop won't go beyond High Sierra).

I've noticed this happening to me too but only for some of my EXS24 instruments. At the top of my head, I've found that the Holger Lagerfeldt's Hit Kit 3 does this, for some reason. Every time I try to delete and re-install that particular sampler instrument over time I'm faced with the problem again... any help would be great!

One factor, that might play into this though is - I'm syncing the exs instruments via dropbox to multiple rigs. Maybe Dropbox corrupts somehow something in the EXS instrument? Is there a way to check out the code of the EXS, to see, if there are any hints of what's happening?

I wouldn't touch Dropbox to sync my music production computer with a ten foot pole... so yes, that could be the issue, or the fact that the references from the EXS24 instruments to their samples are lost.

Try saving a Logic project folder with all your custom EXS24 instruments (including instruments and samples in the save dialog) and copying that on your multiple rigs.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this issue. For example I have a library of EXS instruments I created using the older version of Autosampler, and 90% of them load Ok, but 10% won't load - when I go to the EXS edit menu it's as the image in juscher's original post - the audio files that should be loaded just say 'samples' I've checked the samples themselves and there appears to be nothing in the sample names that could be a problem. Neither are there any problems with the permissions of the folders the samples are contained in. I've also tried re-indexing Spotlight to no avail.

Juscher, anp 27, I think we should report this to Apple..

David (or anyone), do you have a link for reporting Logic bugs to Apple?

Thanks - I'll get a report off to Apple.

These ones were created using Autosampler. Originally onto another computer then copied onto this one.

No external hard drives involved in my case - the samples and sampler instruments are stored on the same computer - though in some cases on different volumes (I have several operating systems on the Macbook, so some of the EXS samples are on a different volume to the instruments). But I'm thinking if that was the problem it would affect them all, whereas this scenario is quite random/erratic.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for reporting it to Apple Kroy!

At least it's not an isolated issue on only my system. I've been using EXS24 & Dropbox for several years now and this started to occur only about maybe 1 - 1 1/2 years ago. I'm on El Capitan on all my systems btw. so not sure if it's connected to the OS, I have the feeling it came with a Logic update.

David - just out of curiosity, what are your concerns using Dropbox for syncing sessions?

David - just out of curiosity, what are your concerns using Dropbox for syncing sessions?

I've had too many issues and wasted too much time trying to sync sessions in Dropbox or trying to simply send sessions to someone using Dropbox, so much so that I've decided to simply give up on it. Once bitten twice shy. Typical issues were the Logic file package not being recognized as a Logic project file, but as a normal folder.

Thanks for reporting it to Apple Kroy!

At least it's not an isolated issue on only my system. I've been using EXS24 & Dropbox for several years now and this started to occur only about maybe 1 - 1 1/2 years ago. I'm on El Capitan on all my systems btw. so not sure if it's connected to the OS, I have the feeling it came with a Logic update.

Did you also file a report with Apple?

Please report this to Apple if you also have this issue - here's my report to Apple:

EXS24 not finding samples - this is quite serious and there are others with this issue. I don't get the problem with Logic 10.2.2 on 10.9.5 but the problem is with the latest version of Logic (currently on Sierra, but I've seen others have this issue on Mojave as well).

The issue seems erratic - it only happens to some EXS instruments. There seems to be nothing in the sample's names that could be causing a problem. The folder's permissions (in get info) are Ok too - all Read and Write. I've tried ditching Logic prefs, repairing permissions etc. And I've tried re-indexing Spotlight.

The samples are not on an external drive either - they're all on the same computer, though sometimes on different volumes (but not specifically the ones causing a problem).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi folks

This has been haunting me for a good while too.I have older versions of the same EXS instruments that load OK from another folder and also on my laptop running El Capitan/Logic 10.3.3 ( with copy of audio files on external FW.I suspect re organising /editing ESX instruments in older versions of logic/OS X does not bode well with the latest OS and more recent Logic versions .I personally went from El Capitan/Logic 10.3.3 to High Sierra/10.6.4.and now Mohave.Whilst locating samples is likely a factor I don't think this is the only reason for this problem.

Even If I copy these "good" versions of the EXS instrument over to my CMP 5.1/Mohave/Logic 10.4.6 the actual file is re-written by logic it seems .In some cases I was able to copy EXS instruments from my lap top renaming them with ABFR 10 then replacing the bad ones.But this did not work in all cases.I estimate 200-400 EXS instruments with this problem and still don't have a bulk way of sorting .I will attempt redfreds suggestion but Im not sure moving the sample location will sort the dodgy exs files.I also tried fixing with Chicken systems instrument manager but it didn't like the bad Exs files either.Apologies in advance for mumbling video narration!

Any further advice on this would be appreciated. Cheers

exs1.thumb.jpg.6bdbecc0839d939019b6ed660229252a.jpg

Hello. Sorry I should have said I deleted the exs files and then just replaced them in the sampler instruments folder but created a new folder for my samples with a different name. I am not sure that makes much difference. I think it was just the exs files could have been deleted and replaced.

Hi Rededfred

Sorry for being dim

When you say delete exs instruments, do you mean remove them from the user/music apps folder fire up logic/quit then put them back or do you mean put them in the trash and create new versions or rename old versions ? I think you're right it being more a problem with corrupted exs instruments than sample locations.

Hello. Sorry I should have said I deleted the exs files and then just replaced them in the sampler instruments folder but created a new folder for my samples with a different name. I am not sure that makes much difference. I think it was just the exs files could have been deleted and replaced.

Hi Rededfred

Sorry for being dim

When you say delete exs instruments, do you mean remove them from the user/music apps folder fire up logic/quit then put them back or do you mean put them in the trash and create new versions or rename old versions ? I think you're right it being more a problem with corrupted exs instruments than sample locations.

Hello Tim.

I just deleted all the dodgy EXS Instruments to the trash and copied them back in from there original source. Bear in mind I did not have that many to go through. I can't remember if I loaded logic in between deleting and putting the new ones back in but I probably did and it could not hurt to get logic to re-search for them.

It has been a little while since I did this but I am happy to help if you want to ask more questions.

Cheers.

Thanks rededfred

I tried deleting then copying the good ones back In , didn't work as logic kept re-writing the file ( as in my earlier post) , however if I copy (keep both) so finder renames it drums.exs 2. logic sees new file and loads.Then in logic/exs ,I delete old file and rename the copy.VERY boring but it works.I have an idea for a batch fix-will post later if it works.Really want to tidy up my catalogue but wary of moving exs instruments around.

Cheers

Tim

• 1 month later...

What worked for me was creating new EXS24 instruments with the same samples and naming it like the original, then deleting the ones that stopped working correctly. I haven't had problems for the last 2/3 months and this is the longest its gone without problems. There's definitely a problem with the way the original EXS24 instruments were saved. I also had the problem only with certain presets, namely the Hit Kit V3, and it only happened to certain presets in that particular sample pack.

It was a pretty tedious process because I had to take screen shots of all the samples of each sampler instrument that was problematic, then locate the sample and each sample accordingly within the EXS24, save it then name the sampler instrument. Most of the Hit Kit V3 EXS24 instruments were problematic so it took quite a while but I'm happy now because I seem to have completely fixed the problem.

I have never had problems with any EXS24 instruments that I created myself. This only happened to third party presets that I had purchased (Hit Kit V3).

What worked for me was creating new EXS24 instruments with the same samples and naming it like the original, then deleting the ones that stopped working correctly. I haven't had problems for the last 2/3 months and this is the longest its gone without problems. There's definitely a problem with the way the original EXS24 instruments were saved. I also had the problem only with certain presets, namely the Hit Kit V3, and it only happened to certain presets in that particular sample pack.

It was a pretty tedious process because I had to take screen shots of all the samples of each sampler instrument that was problematic, then locate the sample and each sample accordingly within the EXS24, save it then name the sampler instrument. Most of the Hit Kit V3 EXS24 instruments were problematic so it took quite a while but I'm happy now because I seem to have completely fixed the problem.

I have never had problems with any EXS24 instruments that I created myself. This only happened to third party presets that I had purchased (Hit Kit V3).

Wow, that is a lot of work.

Check out what I'm working on at this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=144936

This will at least show you what path the EXS file is pointing too and if need be, you can create a new EXS file based on another folder location that you say you want to use.